Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

I do think a part of this dying down is the fact it is now open. People may post in here as they experience it I suppose.
since 2001 (many before that)

DisneyBart

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I do think a part of this dying down is the fact it is now open. People may post in here as they experience it I suppose.

We are just back from our 7th trip to DLP this year.
We visited Toy Story Playland for the first time and it looks GREAT.
Tree canival-rides that are themed, like only Disney can do...

The rides aren't the best rides of the resort but they are a nice addition to the park.
I'm sure not everybody will like these rides, but I think that's the same for all the other rides.

Malin

QuoteBoycott DLP and it'll go bankrupt and we'll never have to go there again. I will be going back to DLP next year.

The place is heading in that direction anyway. Its got an abysmal Management team in place. The 30% savings you all enjoy is really cutting into the profits. And to cut back on the losses obtained thanks to the heavy discounts the Resort is slashing bugets for everything. Shorter opening hours, Entertainment and maintenance are just a few areas. The average working family works hard to be able to afford to take the family away for a vacation to Disneyland Paris. And what thanks do you get for supporting the Mouse in Europe. We've not had a new E Ticket for the Disneyland park in years. We are treated to the same entertainment every year, most of it recyled and promoted as something new for what ever silly festival is being celebrated this year. And to top it all off this year the park wasted several millions on a bunch of cheap tacky carnival rides. I don't see why anyone should visit this place when so many other Disney Parks continue to do it so much better.

QuoteI'm not sure what you are hoping to do with this thread by suggesting a boycott, personally I suspect that the real reason there is little to add to this topic is precisely because there is little more to add except perhaps people whatever their views on it trying to claim some kind of victory, which seems very pointless.

I just don't want to see people waste money on a Disney park that seems to offer very little in return to thank Guests for supporting there Resort over either another Disney Resort or a park closer to home. Disneyland California is getting Star Tours II, Soundsational, Little Mermaid, Buena Vista Street and Cars Land. We get a lame Festival and a few carnival rides. It just upsets me to see so many people missing out on so much fun because of some loyalty there have over Disneyland Paris.

QuoteIt's all there for everyone to see or go to if they wish, I'd be amazed if it somehow puts people off going.

I'm not trying to put anyone off visiting. People are free to make up there own minds.

ed-uk

DlP is discounting to encourage people to go the resort at a time when many people are feeling the pinch in what most of us would acknowledge are difficult financial times. The exchange rate between the pound and the Euro isn't as good as it once was. People are also shopping around for holiday bargains. Even in American Disney Resorts have been discounting. We needn't go to HKDL for our Disney holiday that's for sure, because in your words, they're getting "cheap tacky carnival rides", too. We may not have got a new E-ticket ride in Disneyland park for some years, but we did get a new park. And in the last few years we did get TOT, Crushes Coaster and Stitch live, which did help transform the Television building. DLP has made some big investments recently. And with 30% or 40% of the price of the holiday that does soften the blow for many of us. And just to add you may think that DLP has an abysmal management team, but the WDC is the biggest shareholder in EuroDisney. It's the WDC that pulls the strings. They want their royalties and management fees in the future.
Ed & David

Malin

QuoteDlP is discounting to encourage people to go the resort at a time when many people are feeling the pinch in what most of us would acknowledge are difficult financial times. The exchange rate between the pound and the Euro isn't as good as it once was. People are also shopping around for holiday bargains. Even in American Disney Resorts have been discounting.

And its coming at a cost. Personally even in this tough economic world I would still prefer to pay full price and have longer park hours, decent entertainment, attractions well maintened. What we have at the moment is a joke. And its all very well bringing Guests over to the Resort on cheaper packages. But its expected that the loss will be made up by higher Guest spending. And thats not been the case. Even with the half board option's which are encouraging Guests to pre pay more on food and visit Restuarants that wouldn't usually be visited. And its having no effect on the bottom line. Working in a place where we have suffered because of the reccesion and consumer confidence in general. The last couple of months have been fantastic. Things are improving and yet I see on the tv Disneyland Paris is still offering 30% off vacation packages. The problem is the consumer has wised up to this last minute discounting and its going to take a lot for Disneyland Paris to move on from this. Why book your package months in advance when you can pick it up later at a discounted price. How many are going to be fairly upset at booking a package 8 months or so in advance, only to see a 30 % discount a few months later. Next time these people will hold back on booking and leave it last minute. Although the cheaper hotel rates should be offered to everyone when you see how dire and poor state the hotel rooms are in now days.

QuoteWe needn't go to HKDL for our Disney holiday that's for sure, because in your words, they're getting "cheap tacky carnival rides", too.

But Hong Kong Disneyland has several other things going for it besides a few cheap carni rides. Shame on you for not looking past this and looking at the bigger picture. For instance the entertainment is first class and the two main stage shows Lion King and Golden Mickey's are miles better than anything offered at Disneyland Paris currently, oh and the park presents nightly firework shows. The place is also well maintened and than we need to look at the special events. Take a look at both Halloween events for Paris and Hong Kong and tell me which one offers a better deal. Glow in the Dark Parade, Walk though mazes, special Halloween fireworks are just a few of the vast offerings available. Whats Paris up to this year for Halloween?  

QuoteWe may not have got a new E-ticket ride in Disneyland park for some years, but we did get a new park. And in the last few years we did get TOT, Crushes Coaster and Stitch live, which did help transform the Television building. DLP has made some big investments recently.

We got a new park under funded and all the new additions to that park with the exception of Tower of Terror have been cheap. But you have kind of dodge a question here. When was the last time the Disneyland Park recieved an E Ticket ? All investment is going into the smaller park because it so badly needs ride capacity.  

QuoteAnd just to add you may think that DLP has an abysmal management team, but the WDC is the biggest shareholder in EuroDisney. It's the WDC that pulls the strings. They want their royalties and management fees in the future.

But its the Euro Disney Management team that opperate the day to day running of the Resort. These are the people who are in charge of maintening the parks and hotels. Selecting the budgets for the year. Creating new opportunity's to create extra income for the Resort. These are all roles that the Management team fail in. Especially when put against what other Disney owned and opperated themeparks are capable of doing.

ed-uk

Yeah sure HKDL is getting Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor but thats only because they haven't got Frontierland and Phantom Manor. And they will also get cheap tacky carnival rides called TSPL. They have Glow in the Dark parade at Halloween. And new fireworks, about time they've had the same fireworks display for 5 years. But no Fantillusion at Christmas and in the summer. Shame on you for looking past these things. Can you recommend HKDL with it's cheap tacky carnival rides? WDS does need ride capacity, thats why they've been building rides there. Maybe EuroDisney doesn't have the same budgets as WDC, something you dodge I think. HKDL doesn't make any money. Not so far. You can't blame EuroDisney if the consumer has wised up to discounts. WDC has been discounting at it's resorts in America, why? HKDL with it's 4,0000 visitors a year one small theme park and 2 hotels. No wonder maintenance isn't a problem.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Discounts are only used to increase profits or retain market share, they're not used to lose money. Sure a company can use loss leading if they want to boost sales in other areas of enterprise, or as I say to gain market share, but the board will looking extremely carefully at pricing so as to maximise profits not lose money, whatever the market conditions. When guest spending and consumer confidence is more bouyant I'm sure we will see reductions in discounting, meanwhile I think the presence of discounts shows us that DLP still has to work very hard to get it's revenues which maybe is why it's business model is currently lower cost than previously. I don't think many guests at the moment will be bemoaning cut prices, for any who have had a great couple of months economy wise I think you're lucky, I'm in the public sector and pay freezes/job cuts are imminent as they are in public sectors across European countries, most of whom are far from in boom times. I don't think there are many pundits predicting consumers returning to bigger spending for some time yet. @Malin, what kind of success have other Disney owned parks had in creating other revenues? Sorry  :oops: all off topic.

keeping to topic, is anyone suggesting TSPL will have a different impact on HK than DLP? or that the discounts are related to TSPL?

dagobert

I have just read through the recent posts and I have to agree with Malin. I think the discounts are the wrong way to help the resort, because I think that people will not spend more in the parks. People have to spend money on food, but they will take the cheap fast food options and I'm sure they don't spend a lot of money on merchandise. People aren't stupid and they realize that the quality and the variety isn't good at DLP. I'm not sure if people return to the resort when the discounts are gone and that will hurt ED SCA in a very bad way.

We will not boycott DLRP, but we decided that if we return, we will not stay in a Disney hotel. Our plan is to save the money for Anaheim or to stay in one of the VI hotels. Let's keep the money in the country :D . The quality of the hotels isn't worth the money. Did you read davewasbaloos trip report. He stayed in the NYH and it is considered the second best DLP hotel and it is also an expensive hotel. Dave reports that the room needs refurb, there was mold in the shower tiles, and the phone socket and a power socket were coming off the wall. That's really bad show.

I'm not sure if TSPL will have a huge impact on HKDL, but I think Grizzly coaster will have. I also think that TSPL will not have any impact on DLP, just because the new land consists only of three smaller rides. In my opinion bigger attractions do have an impact. You just have to look on what SM did back in 1995 and what TOT did a few years ago. In 1995 attendace rose from 8 Mio to over 11 Mio, according to Tim Delaney, designer of Discoveryland and SM. He said this in a podcast he did for "The Season Pass". In 2008 after ToT opened DLRP had record attendance.

Malin

QuoteYeah sure HKDL is getting Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor but thats only because they haven't got Frontierland and Phantom Manor. And they will also get cheap tacky carnival rides called TSPL.

Two out of three is not bad. And one of the attractions will include AA Bears. The Studios currently doesn't include one single Animatronic. And the Disneyland park strugles to maintened even the most basic ones. I hate the fact these Carnival rides are heading out to Hong Kong. But a few silly rides are not going to ruin the enjoyment for me here. What is offered at the Hong Kong Park is a vast improvement on what you get in Paris. And by the way it will be named Toy Story Land in Hong Kong.

QuoteAnd new fireworks, about time they've had the same fireworks display for 5 years. But no Fantillusion at Christmas and in the summer. Shame on you for looking past these things.

Give me a break the best you can come back with as a defense is Fantillusion. A 15 year old parade that was originally brought over from Tokyo when the park didn't need it no longer. Even than its been massivily scaled down from its original version. And its only performed twice a year. Most Disney night time parade's like Electrical and Dreamlights are performed all nights of the week. This further displays how much of a bad deal Europeans recieve visiting this Resort. And don't knock a 5 year old fireworks show when your defending a Resort that only puts on a 4 -5 minute display two months of the year. And even than its just a bunch of low level pyro going off out of time with the music.

QuoteCan you recommend HKDL with it's cheap tacky carnival rides?

Yes because I believe thats what I have been saying in the last few post's. While the park may be getting Toy Story Carnival Land. The park offers so many wonderful events thought out the year that you can easily avoid even stepping foot in the place when it opens between 2011-2012. Halloween, Christmas, Chinese New Years, Summer and what ever is being planned for the 5th Anniversary. This will be much worth your time than some lame Magical Moments Festival.

QuoteMaybe EuroDisney doesn't have the same budgets as WDC, something you dodge I think. HKDL doesn't make any money. Not so far. You can't blame EuroDisney if the consumer has wised up to discounts. WDC has been discounting at it's resorts in America, why? HKDL with it's 4,0000 visitors a year one small theme park and 2 hotels. No wonder maintenance isn't a problem.

Hong Kong Disneyland also doesn't loose money like the way Disneyland Paris seems to do. Also a little fact for you Hong Kong Disneyland has the highest spending on merchandise of any Resort with the exception of Tokyo. I can blame Euro Disney because it should be trying to come up with better sollutions and more creative ways to draw people to the Resort. The reason WDW is offering the discounts is because its over built. With way too many hotel rooms than what it needs. Another poor decision and where are most of the Euro Disney Management from, yep WDW. I wouldn't mock HKDL attendance as it grew 13% over the Summer, compared to Paris poor 1%. And it met its estimated attendance target for that year. And just because HKDL is a smaller park you don't think it doesn't employ a smaller crew of mentenance to work on the park and hotels?

ed-uk

I'd rather have a scaled back Fantilusion parade than no nighttime parade. I think it makes Christmas and Summer. I love Fantilusion. It might not be new, but it's not as old as MSEP, which has been running since 1972, with some new floats. Anyway HKDL is having Toy Story Land with it's silly Carnival rides, not my words, obviously some people will put up with those types of rides in HKDL, for the sake of their events. But not in the WDS. Maybe they should call it Toy Story Land in Paris instead of TSPL, maybe that would make a difference. I think I'll stick to DLP. They have my favourite rides, Pirates, Peter Pan, BTM, Mark Twain, CineMagique, TOT, Stunt Show, OUAD Parade, their beautiful Castle and dragon lair etc etc. I'll wait and see what their Magical Moments Festival is like. At least it'll be something new. DLP also has Christmas, Halloween, and Summer but I must admit they don't have Chinese New Year, but they do have Bonfire Night. It'll be interesting to see what is being planned for HKDL 5th Anniversary, I'm surprised they haven't already announced it, isn't it this month? Enjoy the Parks you like. And good luck to them. WDW must be the most popular theme park resort in the world. And you think it's over built with hotels. Well they maybe having some problems at the moment, but that wasn't the case two years ago.
Ed & David

RockNRoller

Blimey all I did was ask if the technical issues and que times were sorted. Without wanting to start anything else does anyone know? My Sister in law and family are making their first visit and the kids are looking forward to this area I only wanted to pass the information on>
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

DopeyDad

:lol: I think this is the 'venting my spleen' topic now.
Have you tried the individual ride threads for news on ride queues?

Riebi

Quote from: "Malin"Hong Kong Disneyland also doesn't loose money like the way Disneyland Paris seems to do. Also a little fact for you Hong Kong Disneyland has the highest spending on merchandise of any Resort with the exception of Tokyo. I can blame Euro Disney because it should be trying to come up with better sollutions and more creative ways to draw people to the Resort. The reason WDW is offering the discounts is because its over built. With way too many hotel rooms than what it needs. Another poor decision and where are most of the Euro Disney Management from, yep WDW. I wouldn't mock HKDL attendance as it grew 13% over the Summer, compared to Paris poor 1%. And it met its estimated attendance target for that year. And just because HKDL is a smaller park you don't think it doesn't employ a smaller crew of mentenance to work on the park and hotels?

:offtopic:

I don´t think that that´s the right way to compare things. Hong Kong Disneyland costs nothing compared to DLP. Hong Kong Disneyland have not the high level details as Disneyland Park. Mean: While Hong Kong Disneyland doesn´t need that much money to pay their bill it´s not something to be happy about it. Attendance grew by 13 % means only that not just 5 people are looking at the daytime parade. But 7.

Discounds and low quality merchandise surely isn´t the right way but comparing Hong Kong Disneyland or statistics about it with DLP is like comparing a  Mc D Burger with a candle light diner. (Or DisneySeas with Disney´s California Adventure Premiere Day)
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

RockNRoller

Quote from: "DopeyDad":lol: I think this is the 'venting my spleen' topic now.
Have you tried the individual ride threads for news on ride queues?
:lol:
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

littlemermaid83

Maybe I can ask my question again lol.

Are the barriers up around the photo op areas now?
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!