Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Just in time - 8.58am on Tuesday morning:

And two photos from yesterday morning to show Buzz/the entrance area with construction walls down:

I eat my words about one thing: It was absolutely the right decision to put Buzz here rather than a generic robot. The land would have been very lacking in the actual cast of characters otherwise and the voiceovers (in French and English, with what definitely sounds like the real Tim Allen) are a great welcome. It feels very authentic and very "Disney", like this is the Toy Story area.

I'll save my criticisms of the now even wider and more barren path between TSPL and Toon Studio for another time, but it's stupid for a start that - if the area wasn't confused enough already - the Hollywood Blvd loop is played right along it, all the way up to this corner with Buzz!

Festival Disney

Is that the place where the ToT poster used to be?
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Martyn

When you look at them pics, you'd never in a million years think you're in the Studio's with all that greenery! Looks great.

I just cannot believe they aren't going to have character meets in there, thats so ridiculous. I mean, what the hell is with the Buzz character, how often i seen anywhere on the resort?

Anthony

Quote from: "Martyn"I just cannot believe they aren't going to have character meets in there, thats so ridiculous. I mean, what the hell is with the Buzz character, how often i seen anywhere on the resort?
Ah, well I'm not sure if this was just a special for the first few days or weeks, but:

I saw Toy Soldiers on Tuesday and Wednesday and Woody every day.

Buzz can still be met at the Toon Plaza area opposite Cars, which is a bit bizarre as you walk towards that area - one real-life Buzz on your right, one much taller "plastic" Buzz to your left. Kids must be so confused.

Festival Disney

It's nice to see a CM telling a kid to stop climbing on Rex! lol
(That's what it looks like anyway :P)

source: http://www.newsdlrp.com/dlp-143-toy-sto ... etiez.html
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

bigrossco

nice to see the ToT banner gone, lol was that not there for al ong time?
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Malin

I take exception to seeing a poster on Toy Story Playland with Woody. When he isn't even featured anywhere in the land. Its false advertising as far as I'm concerned. I also agree with Martyn thats its ridiculous if meet & greets with the Toy Story Characters are not happening in this land. I hope the reports are incorrect and that Characters like Woody and Jessie will be out in this land.

DopeyDad

I'd rather they keep characters out of the land myself, it might seem like a popular shot but it would ruin the scale of the land. Buzz, Slinky, Rex and the toys are all at a larger scale than 'human' sized characters. There's enough TS characters at various points through the parks for visitors to meet them.

dagobert

Quote from: "DopeyDad"I'd rather they keep characters out of the land myself, it might seem like a popular shot but it would ruin the scale of the land. Buzz, Slinky, Rex and the toys are all at a larger scale than 'human' sized characters. There's enough TS characters at various points through the parks for visitors to meet them.

You can meet the Toy Story characters throughout the resort, but at places where you shouldn't meet them. For example you can meet Woody in Frontierland and in my opinion he doesn'T belong there. I know he is a cowboy and a sheriff, but he doesn't fit into the Thunder Mesa story.

Now we have a Toy Story Playland and I think that the should remove Woody'S Round Up from Frontierland and transfere them to Toy Story Playland.

Malin

Who cares if a few Toy Story Characters ruin the scale of the land. Its hardly a picaso painting to begin with. I don't care if the park add's a few characters to the land. Keep them within TSPL and away from the rest of the park is what I say. Besides at the moment a walk around Character is the only thing the land has themed around Woody, despite all advertising featuring the sheriff. And Guests need something to do while Parachute Jump is closed for the day like it was this week thanks to tech problems.

Anthony

Quote from: "Malin"I also agree with Martyn thats its ridiculous if meet & greets with the Toy Story Characters are not happening in this land. I hope the reports are incorrect and that Characters like Woody and Jessie will be out in this land.
See my photos above. They have been, at least for the first few days.

Here's a photo of how the walkway behind Art of Disney looks with the walls down. Wider than it used to be I think:

pussinboots

Such an aimless little piece of real estate. And didn't you write that the Hollywood Boulevard loop plays there?

It doesn't seem that difficult to pull off a pleasant transition here; put a slight curve in the path, add a few lamp posts that get slightly more whimsical nearer Toon Studio, paint the fence a slightly less lurid color, add a few cheerful plants to break up the wall of bamboo. They managed it on the future Ratatouille side. But we've been here before...

penfold12

I agree, but having said that, how nice to see greenery in wds!!

Malin

QuoteSee my photos above. They have been, at least for the first few days.

I did see your photo's Anthony, as I always make a point to do so. But this is not yet reported to be a permanent addition to the land. Although it should be in my view. Since you were out at TSPL earlier in the week. Do you think the addition of Toy Story Characters helps the land in creating more atsmophere. And helping to take away some of the frustrations people are bound to have over the insane wait times.

QuoteSuch an aimless little piece of real estate. And didn't you write that the Hollywood Boulevard loop plays there?

Agreed and it looks even poorer when you see the small detail that Disney has put into a new path over at DCA between the Tower of Terror and A Bugs Land which also opened this week. The path like the one at the Studios cuts though the back of the Animation building. Check out the DisneyGeek photo update for more. http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/updat ... 2010_08_20

Notice the rock work as you get nearer to A Bugs Land. It seems DCA can't do anything wong right now doesn't it.

Martyn

That pathway does look a bit bland, with the plain tarmac, thats not very Disney-like....

One thing I'd like to know from people who have been, does it fit in to the Studio's well? I've always loved the idea of TSPL, and it will work well, people will love it, but will it fit in to the Studio's?