Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malin

This is a public forum. You are more than welcome to join in the conversation.

Disneydavid

Ah I hope to see it soon , its looks very nice :D

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

bensmum

I love this topic and visit it every day.....but sometimes I feel like one of those kids in a playground standing round, clapping and shouting "fight, fight, fight" when two kids are arguing :lol:  :lol:

Its good we all have different opinions and have the place to air them. I will wait till I visit to see how I feel.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Malin"
QuoteI agree with you on the RC Racer and the Parachute Drop; frankly I don't care much about them as I would never go on one of those rides anyway. (Reason 1: I'm an adult.) But they are indeed ugly and only barely passable as themed Disney rides. (The Flik's Fun Fair rides are to my eyes only marginally better themed, but anyway.)

Adult or not these rides should appeal to the whole family. If you've got zero interest in them. Than shame on Disney for adding them in the first place. The Flik's Fun Fair rides are just as well themed as any of the rides of this type in Fantasyland. Although in the case of Paris these are presented in more impressive surroundings like the glass dome over the Tea Cups. The verdict is still out on Slinky, but it does appear to be well themed. But no excuses for the other two attractions. Poor and lazy.

QuoteHowever, I see the K'Nex railings and the floorwork and the dominos and the little perk with the enormous grass blades and the ball in it, or the Tinkertoys playfully standing amongst well-trimmed hedges shaped like model set trees, and I see the first 360-degree, "immersive," themed environment at the park. I see a theme commendably well-executed, I see old fashioned Disney standards. (And no I am not forgetting about the Tower of Terror, which lest we forget still stands in the middle of concreteville.) And I don't understand how you don't see this, how you think that this is somehow something from an inferior European amusement park. It's simply not

I have seen far better theming in other European parks. A few plastic toy props is no where near old fashioned Disney standards as far as I'm concerned. This is the most fake looking attraction I think Disney has ever produced and is just not up to the standards I expect. Its all a mish mash of crap. With the right budget the concept could of worked. But Disney decided to go cheap with the project, and it shocks and concerns me your unable to view what I'm seeing here.

QuoteThe original studios concept was to have a gathering of sound stages, yes, and don't we all love that... Crush, on that subject, is a so-so ride in a hideous building in a land that makes no sense whatsoever. So this, to me, is a step up...

What I admire about Crush is that its really just another carnival ride. But no one views it like that because Disney did such a good job with the show building and lighting effects. With TSPL the rides are not hidden with great story telling and are in full ugly view. No effort was made to turn these rides into something special like it was for Crush.

Sorry Puss but we are not going to see eye to eye on this subject. Our standards and expectations are obviously worlds apart.

Well, it is patronising, that's a fact, but I don't mind. You see, when you say "our standards and expectations are obviously worlds apart," you picture these standards to be on a sort of vertical scale ranging from "happy clappy simpleton Disney fan" to the coveted "I've been to Tokyo." Whereas I see them more on a horizontal plane, where I sit more on the "I appreciate artistic depth and competence" side and you on the "I demand value for my money" side. Or similar. Different strokes.

And you're a little vague as to why exactly it's a fake-looking pile of crap and how it could have been a better-looking pile of crap with a bigger budget. (I'm not talking about those two rides, but everything else.) How is this not a good execution of the "Andy's backyard" concept?

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Talk about good and bad! The very worst of "outletDisney" meets the standard Disney. If entire WDS could be as good as the Paris section semes to be itIf they only could explain what Paris is doing in Hollywood...
http://www.dlp.info/News/2010/08/from-t ... to-paris/#

DopeyDad

:thumbs: Thanks for the update TTT, great news

RiverRogue

I've been tempted to post in this topic a few times, but then I'd just have had to say "I agree" to pretty much every point made by Pussinboots, and where's the fun in that...

Now, having been there, I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway. The finished product hasn't actually changed my opinion but reinforced both my negative and positive ideas about it. No, it's not the theme I'd have picked, but yes, they've made it fun... and I'm not even talking about the attractions. Clever details abound in the land, it's definitely one of the most consistently themed areas in the park. I enjoyed seeing the toy Dinoco gas station or the wooden toy train rail benches. There's a lot to look at and take pictures of, which can't be said for most of the Studios...

Obviously it's not remotely on the same plane as Pirates of the Caribbean or BTM, but at least it's more intricate and detailed than e.g. Casey Jr. (which incidentally was designed by the same guy) and way more consistent than SM:M2. The Ratatouille area is promising with little previews of what's to come hidden in plain sight.

Now, if only someone would have thought of a better design for the Parachute Drop tower...

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "RiverRogue"I've been tempted to post in this topic a few times, but then I'd just have had to say "I agree" to pretty much every point made by Pussinboots, and where's the fun in that...

Now, having been there, I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway. The finished product hasn't actually changed my opinion but reinforced both my negative and positive ideas about it. No, it's not the theme I'd have picked, but yes, they've made it fun... and I'm not even talking about the attractions. Clever details abound in the land, it's definitely one of the most consistently themed areas in the park. I enjoyed seeing the toy Dinoco gas station or the wooden toy train rail benches. There's a lot to look at and take pictures of, which can't be said for most of the Studios...

Obviously it's not remotely on the same plane as Pirates of the Caribbean or BTM, but at least it's more intricate and detailed than e.g. Casey Jr. (which incidentally was designed by the same guy) and way more consistent than SM:M2. The Ratatouille area is promising with little previews of what's to come hidden in plain sight.

Now, if only someone would have thought of a better design for the Parachute Drop tower...

Sounds like "not good enough" to me...
Shouldn´t Disney be THE BEST!...?

dlrpkris

Loving all this 'secret' Ratatouille stuff. It's like Toilets of Terror all over again :)
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

DopeyDad

It's gonna be a long time waiting for snippets of the Rat though, I need another morsel of cheese to keep me going!

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Disney magic:

DLP-Photos.com

Well, another negative post, but THIS I have to agree with. I feared for the colours of this land in dark weather and sadly I got my proof now. One of the plusses in sun is one the minuses in typical European weather. :(
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

TimmyTimmyTimmy

This looks like a backyard... a backyard in a ghetto full of trash!
Disney Magic:

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Classic American toy house ...something. Classic American UGLY!
Disney Magic:

pussinboots

Look, Timmy, just in case you've found yourself unable to process that concept psychologically:

See how these toys tend to have stickers on them rather than real, detailed interiors? Well hey, that's what they did on a larger scale. Isn't that fun.