Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peep

Wow, TimmyTimmyTimmy, you are one depressing person. Sorry to be a bit of a mod but surely you could have just edited your post instead of just posting separate images as individual posts?

Anyways I think it looks great. I think those photos are just bad too. When I went last month we had a few cloudy days and the area still looked colourful, sometimes what you see in person is very different as a photo. (sorry that's worded badly)
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

-breeno-

Quote from: "pussinboots"Look, Timmy, just in case you've found yourself unable to process that concept psychologically:

See how these toys tend to have stickers on them rather than real, detailed interiors? Well hey, that's what they did on a larger scale. Isn't that fun.
Nail.  Head.  Hit.

How I see it TSPL does have the theming accurate to that of Frontierland or classic Discoveryland (aka before Mission 2 and all that).  Sure it mightn't be as well themed or as 'magical' as the two mentioned but they all do well at what they're trying to get across, right?  Frontierland's aim was to submerge you into a western town just after a gold rush, check.  Discoveryland's aim was to bring you to the future through the eyes of visionaries from the past like Jules Verne, check (sorta).  Toy Story Playland's aim is to shrink you to the size of a toy where all those small plastic objects seem lifesize, you know what?  Check.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"Obviously it's not remotely on the same plane as Pirates of the Caribbean or BTM, but at least it's more intricate and detailed than e.g. Casey Jr. (which incidentally was designed by the same guy) and way more consistent than SM:M2.

There's an interesting take. Never thought someone would actually rank it above a part of Fantasyland...

So it was the Toontown guy again, huh. Dial "Shull" (right?) for fiberglass.

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "pussinboots"Look, Timmy, just in case you've found yourself unable to process that concept psychologically:

See how these toys tend to have stickers on them rather than real, detailed interiors? Well hey, that's what they did on a larger scale. Isn't that fun.

Well as I said... Classic American UGLY!
Do you think that looks good?

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "peep"Wow, TimmyTimmyTimmy, you are one depressing person. Sorry to be a bit of a mod but surely you could have just edited your post instead of just posting separate images as individual posts?

Anyways I think it looks great. I think those photos are just bad too. When I went last month we had a few cloudy days and the area still looked colourful, sometimes what you see in person is very different as a photo. (sorry that's worded badly)

The posts are as they are. I do admit I am clumsy when it comes to that.

By the way... this is not about me. If anybody feels like talking about me as person please do that in a TimmyTimmyTimmy forum. Block me and ignore me if you don´t like my view of Disney themeparks.
You see... if everybody liked TSPL as many of you here seme to do then there would be no DisneySEA and no Cars land expansion in DCA. Now that would be a shame. Everytime I see something about DLRP that I either like or dislike I might post it here. This is afterall a forum about DLRP.
I don´t try to get you all down for liking something as TSPL and constantly repeating how good it looks after everysecond new picture you see of it.

pussinboots

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"Well as I said... Classic American UGLY!

Look, I don't want to be rude, but have they not taught you at school to explain your opinions? What's happening now is that someone writes a thoughtful post, then you go "UGLY!," then someone responds again in a thoughtful manner, then you go "UGLY" again, et cetera. That's not a satisfying dialog to anyone.

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"Well as I said... Classic American UGLY!

Look, I don't want to be rude, but have they not taught you at school to explain your opinions? What's happening now is that someone writes a thoughtful post, then you go "UGLY!," then someone responds again in a thoughtful manner, then you go "UGLY" again, et cetera. That's not a satisfying dialog to anyone.

I stand firm in what I think about TSPL and the design of the entire place. I have said it before and my view has not changed after having seen picture after picture and loads of videos of it. I do not like the stale, sterile , plastic look that is classic american toys and such. That gas station simply does not have any appeal to me at all. It looks cheap as well. I don´t like it when things look cheap. I pay 100s of euros to go to Paris and see a plastic looking box with gas station stickers on it, when the very same amount could take me to the center of the earth in Tokyo. The only thing that looks somewhat good in TSPL is Buzz and Rex.... but those are just statues, and DLRP already has a Buzz. I also do not like the fences of this terrible area. Look at the fences! How can anyone claim those look good? Is the world going zombie or has Disney just forgotten about bribing me out of all europeans?
No... that gas station in TSPL is the most ugly thing I have seen in a Disneypark. ...second to the war tower that is. That is my oppinion about the gas station. ...and yes this was ANOTHER negative coment by me.
Show me something to like and I will!

DopeyDad

:roll: anyhoo, nice to see some new pictures hey!

pussinboots

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"I stand firm in what I think about TSPL and the design of the entire place. I have said it before and my view has not changed after having seen picture after picture and loads of videos of it. I do not like the stale, sterile , plastic look that is classic american toys and such. That gas station simply does not have any appeal to me at all. It looks cheap as well. I don´t like it when things look cheap. I pay 100s of euros to go to Paris and see a plastic looking box with gas station stickers on it, when the very same amount could take me to the center of the earth in Tokyo. The only thing that looks somewhat good in TSPL is Buzz and Rex.... but those are just statues, and DLRP already has a Buzz. I also do not like the fences of this terrible area. Look at the fences! How can anyone claim those look good? Is the world going zombie or has Disney just forgotten about bribing me out of all europeans?
No... that gas station in TSPL is the most ugly thing I have seen in a Disneypark. ...second to the war tower that is. That is my oppinion about the gas station. ...and yes this was ANOTHER negative coment by me.

But you can't claim to be surprised now after all this time whenever you see a new picture of the land and it's not Journey to the Center of the Earth. They went with the toy thing. And so they put toys in it. Now you don't want toys, you want a volcano, but it's been roughly ten thousand years now since we've all known that they weren't building a volcano, so what's the point in going on and on about that volcano?

I mean, when your girlfriend or whoever cooks you a herring dinner but you wanted gravlax or whatever, do you not at some point get over that and think, "hmmm, herring isn't that bad, let's shut up and eat"?

I don't even mind the negativity, just the lack of originality.

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"I stand firm in what I think about TSPL and the design of the entire place. I have said it before and my view has not changed after having seen picture after picture and loads of videos of it. I do not like the stale, sterile , plastic look that is classic american toys and such. That gas station simply does not have any appeal to me at all. It looks cheap as well. I don´t like it when things look cheap. I pay 100s of euros to go to Paris and see a plastic looking box with gas station stickers on it, when the very same amount could take me to the center of the earth in Tokyo. The only thing that looks somewhat good in TSPL is Buzz and Rex.... but those are just statues, and DLRP already has a Buzz. I also do not like the fences of this terrible area. Look at the fences! How can anyone claim those look good? Is the world going zombie or has Disney just forgotten about bribing me out of all europeans?

But you can't claim to be surprised now after all this time whenever you see a new picture of the land and it's not Journey to the Center of the Earth. They went with the toy thing. And so they put toys in it. Now you don't want toys, you want a volcano, but it's been roughly ten thousand years now since we've all known that they weren't building a volcano, so what's the point in going on and on about that volcano?

I mean, when your girlfriend or whoever cooks you a herring dinner but you wanted gravlax or whatever, do you not at some point get over that and think, "hmmm, herring isn't that bad, let's shut up and eat"?

I don't even mind the negativity, just the lack of originality.

I know they went with the toy theme. But I would never dream to see a thing like that gas station in a THEMEpark. It´s a BOX! A box with stickers on it. It looks nothing like the picture of the gas station you posted.

Pussinboots tell me if you think this is something that looks good. Is this the Disney that you want to pay for to see? This is low even for TSPL:

pussinboots

It's not exactly a-ma-zing, obviously, and it probably cost them the megacorporation equivalent of a caffe latte, but it's fitting and every part of it can be attributed to the concept of the place it stands in. The lights and gas pumps are obviously custom-made, the "sticker" illustrations do look like the ones you used to find on toys, it's a wink to a bit of Toy Story minutiae (Dinoco), and they were accurate enough to use the Toy Story Dinoco logo and not the Cars one. And they didn't even have to put it there...

Compared to the entirely aimless patio furniture and random movie poster bric-a-brac that has long reigned in the queues of the Studios, yes, I think it's pretty nice. A bit of fun.

guest3474

I'm sorry Timmy Timmy Intimidating , but your constant negative and downright depressive constant posts on the subject fo Toy Story Playland have prompted me to now stop posting completely on the forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I find it disresoectful that you continue in this way after people have kindly asked you to looks at both sides of the argument and not constantly knock people and ideas down.

Hence I am leaving Magicforum now on a permanent basis.

tubbsy

See now this is getting silly again-
Whip nobody should leave because of one persons views who dont match yours or you feel someone is being abrupt, rude or insulting, thats what mods are for. You need to speak to them, let them know how you feel. C'mon please dont leave.
TTT is right that he is entitled to his opinion and if we dont like it we can blok what he says or ignore what he says. TBH i've started scrolling past most of your comments TTT looking for updates-and I dont think you'd be surprised by that.

Personally I have said I feel the area is a bit disjointed because of Lazer Blast and Pizza Planet etc in different places-I'd have preferred to have one place, but I'll get over it and the theming is spot on with Toy Story 3 and I think it is sad that people cant see that.

As for being dull I could go through and find photos of Indina Jones looking dull and the perfectly placed tracking actually looking like a bunch of scaffolding.
I did read a comment about Disney and Victorian theming done well, well I am sorry they have to move along with the films they are making now.
We cant have every ride being a big E ticket ride- can we honestly look around the parks and say every ride is an E ticket?
I feel as though I could go on and on but I wont, I'll only repeat myself more

I will say Just watched an article on morning television that said Toy Story 3 is the highest grossing animated film in UK history so far and is expected to overtake POTC. So how can Disney ignore this by not providing an area for all those TS fans young and old, big and small?

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

PetiteSirene

Quote from: "tubbsy"As for being dull I could go through and find photos of Indina Jones looking dull and the perfectly placed tracking actually looking like a bunch of scaffolding.

I totally agree Tubbsy, I have photos of every single part of the park looking dull and miserable and it has nothing to do with the theming. Every land has unflattering points of view where you can get bad photos. I have a photo of Space Mountain that looked horrible and dull because of the weather. Photos are deceiving and they dont tell us anything about how the area feels. You cant tell that until you have actually been there.

I agree that people are mixing bad theming with choice of themeing. People saying it looks cheap? Its MEANT to, childrens toys are cheap. Especially the toys that Andy had in Toy Story. The area is well themed, not everyone LIKES the theming but it doesnt mean its not well themed. What I have seen so far fits in with the idea of it being a garden full of toys. As for the Dinaco Garage? I had one of those as a child (it was a hot wheels one) When I look back at it I think wow it looks really cheap compared to todays toys! however... The original Toy Story came out whilst I was still playing with it. Toys have evolved since Toy Story first came out and I am glad they have stuck to the Toys that were around in that era. Bad Theming would have been the area filled with loads of expensive looking toys that Andy never would have had in his backyard as a child. (For those who will say oh but in Toy Story 3... TSPL is obviously not set in this era... Since Andy wouldnt have had his toys in his garden as a teenager.)

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Disney magic: