Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "DopeyDad"
Quote from: "Alan"Definitely, the Walt Disney Studios Park isn't a place where you can go behind the scenes. I think that's what they wanted it to be, initially. They wanted it to be educational. But now (8 years later) it's quite simply a theme park with a movie studio theme, or even simpler, a theme park based on movies (and television).

I think thats an interesting point Alan, ToT is no movie set, its the hotel itself, nor are Cars Race Rally or Crush. and the Playhouse Live and Stitch studios connection is also pretty tenuous. So it looks like WDS turned away from this thematic route quite some time ago, maybe it was poorly conceived at the beginning or maybe poor choices have followed but its not a 'where the magic gets made' theme park anymore. So is it any use trying to bang every square peg into a round whole or should the park be re-branded somehow that allows more flexibility, maybe even more creativity than at present?

At least TOT has a connection since it's making you the star in the latest episode of the Twilight Zone. Crush is not saying anything about a movie (correct) and neither seems TSPL to be doing. This why in my opinion the main problem was the Toon Studio addition - that was when they went away from the Studios Park and became a Movie Park (big difference). In my opinion it would be sad with a re-branded park - then we have Studio 1 and a lot of the original attractions that will be away from the theme. Unless it is rebranded as a park with no red line of course - which would be even more sad.

If they at least would rename Toon Studio to Pixar Place or something it would not solve it, but it would erase the misleading name of Toon Studio. But this has nothing to do with TSPL so let's take that another place if it is.

*EDIT* Stitch is a bit within the theme since it is a transmission to another galaxy - a bit televisiony. I haven't been on PlayHouse Disney, so I cannot comment on that. *EDIT*
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

EmilieK

I think they are moving towards more of a putting you in the movie theme rather than the putting you behind the scenes theme that were suposed to be the idea when the park opend

DopeyDad

Now I've never been to any US parks, do any of them manage a behind the scenes theme throughout? Off topic I know but more interesting than our love it/hate it tennis match of a conversation about TSPL.

claire2281

Perhaps they need to essentially make the right side of the park into a Pixar park. After all, that's what it mainly is and that is where Disney is at the moment film wise and will be for many years to come.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

DopeyDad

I think someone earlier in this thread suggested this too, something like 'making' movies to the left and 'in' the movies to the right.

luke85

Quote from: "DopeyDad"I think someone earlier in this thread suggested this too, something like 'making' movies to the left and 'in' the movies to the right.
That sounds like a good idea

CafeFantasia

What about Pixar Place to the right, and Hollywood Land to the left?

luke85

I like the idea of maybe dividing the park into "being in" the movies and "making movies" but I don't think they should limit themselves to just two themes. Might scupper plans for future expansions?

CafeFantasia

I like the original Universal Studios Florida slogan: "SEE THE STARS. RIDE THE MOVIES." I think that's all a studios theme park needs to be; a place where you can ride the movies.

claire2281

Quote from: "luke85"I like the idea of maybe dividing the park into "being in" the movies and "making movies" but I don't think they should limit themselves to just two themes. Might scupper plans for future expansions?

Well the Pixar land wouldn't be limited with the number of films they already have to work with.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "DopeyDad"Would it be possible to move the Tokyo/Paris conversation elsewhere? It's clear that for some people there may be equivalent costs but for many. many others who can access DLP by rail/road/ferry the price is prohibitive. We can go round in circle with that for ever depending on where you live.

Yea let´s talk about that latest picture of TSPL.

The tree as someone said is ruening the entire view. It´s a giant tree but the coaster is almost just as big. The theme is totally down the trash can on that point. Looking at the land from that new angle makes one dislike the place even more. This place will look naked in the wintertime. Sticks and poles sticking up everywhere and random blocks and toysoldiers will most likely give the impression that this park was bult by a company on the edge of financial death.

They totally messed up this park with this new land. To start with we don´t even know what the park is themed to be anymore. "Movie/TV studio/Andy´s backyard/bamboo garden/hollywood that never was"park is not a good idea and even worse in reality. It semes like people on other forums agree in majority on that once again as new pictures starts to show up. It doesn´t matter how fun the rides will be anymore. The result is starting to prove that this place will be a colorful/tacky place to walk through when on the way to the parkinglot. I wouldn´t be surprised if they make last minute changes to the Hong Kong version of this land after having seen how the final result ended up like.

I have changed my mind about one thing. There is one feature that stands out and looks ok when compared to the rest and that is Buzz. He looks really good when when comparing him to TSPL itself. Too bad he is an ugly character that looks silly in a bad way... not Mickey Mouse or Goofy silly. Perhaps I don´t like this land because I didn´t play with these kind of toys as a child. We grew up with He-man and Transformers... not slinky dogs or sticks and dominos. Buzz came later. He never was my favorite Disney character. I always liked Mickey and Donald more... and Malificent. I take it Buzz has to be MEGA popular in France since he is in both parks in such a profound way.

Well that is my input about to the land after having seen new pics of from all sorts of angles.

By the way, I hope you feel ok with me mentioning HKDL in this thread. It does have something to do with WDS...

claire2281

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"The tree as someone said is ruening the entire view. It´s a giant tree but the coaster is almost just as big.

They may not be allowed to remove the tree. I know in the UK some are covered under conservation laws and can only be removed if they are dying and therefore dangerous.

QuoteI take it Buzz has to be MEGA popular in France since he is in both parks in such a profound way.

Buzz is pretty damn popular all over. Presumably you've heard of the massive shortage of Buzz Lightyear toys? According to John Lasseter on the Toy Story 2 commentary, stores ordered 60,000 at first and ran out amazingly quickly. At the time of that commentary over 9 million figures had been sold.
My Trips:

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "claire2281"
Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"The tree as someone said is ruening the entire view. It´s a giant tree but the coaster is almost just as big.

They may not be allowed to remove the tree. I know in the UK some are covered under conservation laws and can only be removed if they are dying and therefore dangerous.

QuoteI take it Buzz has to be MEGA popular in France since he is in both parks in such a profound way.

Buzz is pretty damn popular all over. Presumably you've heard of the massive shortage of Buzz Lightyear toys? According to John Lasseter on the Toy Story 2 commentary, stores ordered 60,000 at first and ran out amazingly quickly. At the time of that commentary over 9 million figures had been sold.

Oh come on... they should have thought about what could be removed and couldn´t BEFORE they designed the land. If they can´t remove that tree then they shouldn´t have built a thing close to it that is supposed to be a toy in a garden. The tree ruins the already vage illusion. I think they were too lazy and cheap to think about it.

Sooo... having Buzz Lightyear all over Disneyparks is a good idea? Perhaps they should put him on top of the castle aswell? Toy Story Resort Paris. The same goes for Hong Kong.

tubbsy

The cinemas have been packed out for Toy Story 3 where I live-the queue was out of the door and 10metres round the corner the other day at my local cinema-I've never seen it like that.

At home we have had Toy Story toys for many years-Buzz and Woody have been on the 7 year old's bed and Jessie has been at the end of the 15 year olds bed-not packed away but loved and played with. (I must say along side Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Bambi, Pluto, Sully ..... just a few Disney toys! :lol:
My favourite phrase Robs Buzz says is: (Open Buzz's visor) "Ah the wind in my face! The wind in my teeth! Urgh bugs in my mouth! Shut that visor!" (shut the visor) "Ah thats better!" :lol: Little things please little minds! :P
And I work in childcare-and the franchise has always remained a popular one. Buzz has developed many role play games of travelling into space! :lol:
So this is a land will be very popular in theming with many I know, including my family

But I do have a problem with two things about the new area (see my rose tinted glasses do come off!)

I've said before -I do agree there is a lot of Toy Story in the parks and I find it disjointed and actually annoying-it almost feels like "We've got a bit of land here, lets shoe horn a bit of Toy Story in here"
And I take your point about the trees-that background is going to look awfully bare and not well thought out-hiding it from other parts of the studio has always been an issue I m hoping will improve over time
(Something I really think the imagineers need to sort out-seeing RC from Moteurs Action-not good at all!)

But its here now and my family will be going in and enjoying the rides and theming in a couple of weeks.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

ed-uk

I think TSPL has turned out well judging from the pictures. The area looks rich in themeing and colour, and I feel the WDS lacked that when it opened. For families who like toys and the Toy Story films I think it will go down well. Even people who haven't seen the films could like it. The reason we have Toy Story in the parks is because the films are so popular. And I can see why Disney would want to try and replicate the success of the films in their parks. TSPL fits into Toon Studios OK and I wouldn't have wanted to see it in Fantasyland. Would have liked to see something bigger and better like Splash Mountain in Disneyland park, for example. Something more adult. But it's WDS and Toon Studios that Disney is working on at the moment and I can understand why.
Ed & David