Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith - new light show!

Started by RnRCj, May 21, 2008, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebassah

I think the booth is a great id. The amount of noise is insane (at WDW I used to get hearingtests every few weeks to see if the launching of the trains didnt had to big of an impact on my hearing). The other thing is that in WDW we have a booth that was sound proof so you could make phonecalls, radiocalls to other positions and managers (for instance in case of a 101). I could imagine that being hard with the amount of music in the launch area.

smurfy74

just got back and this ride was a bit of a disappointment as the light show was nearly a non event - there were so few lights working we spent nearly the whole ride in the dark :-(

dagobert

Quote from: "smurfy74"just got back and this ride was a bit of a disappointment as the light show was nearly a non event - there were so few lights working we spent nearly the whole ride in the dark :-(

Maybe it would be better to remove the lights and replace them with a Hollywood scenery like in Florida. That's the reason why I like the WDW version better, although I think that their RnRC isn't as fast as DLRP's. I know it is the same ride, the same track layout and both have been built by the same manufacturer, but the Paris version seems to be faster.

RnRCj

I'd say no to making our RnRC more like the Florida one. The lightshow is so impressive when it does all work it would be a huge shame to lose it for a few boring 2D signs. I do prefer the outside of the Florida version though. :)

I thought our version seemed faster too but apparently they both have the same launch speed... maybe it's the lights that give that impression. I remember when the ride first opened the old smoke machines used to make the track slippery and it cut about 10 seconds off the ride time. :lol: Oh I miss those days!

dagobert

I also like the light show and the smoke, unfortunately I have only ecperienced RnRC once with all the smoke and light effects working. If they are having so many problems with the effects, they should think about something else. That's the reason why I was suggesting to replace them. Nevertheless RnRC is still my favorite coaster in Paris, with lights or without.

fly_with_me_dumbo

I have never been so petrified in my whole entire life!

alaina82

Went to the park yesterday on my day off and the was literally no queue so we went on twice in a row :) First time half way down the train and then the second time i dragged my friend to the very last carraige cos its always faster!! That was prob one of the funnest rides id been on as the music in both speakers was working and the entire train was singing DUDE LOOKS LIKE A LADYYYYY at the tops of our voices the whole way round, hearing everyone sing and cheer for the entire ride was so much fun....Wish it was like that every time!

fly_with_me_dumbo

Quote from: "alaina82"Went to the park yesterday on my day off and the was literally no queue so we went on twice in a row :) First time half way down the train and then the second time i dragged my friend to the very last carraige cos its always faster!! That was prob one of the funnest rides id been on as the music in both speakers was working and the entire train was singing DUDE LOOKS LIKE A LADYYYYY at the tops of our voices the whole way round, hearing everyone sing and cheer for the entire ride was so much fun....Wish it was like that every time!

haha how do you manage to sing haha, the facial expressions I pull on this ride would make it very hard for me to sing, I can only scream and shout rather rude words  :oops:   :lol:

sebassah

Even though I love RNRC in florida (for obvious reasons) more than the Paris version... If the full light show and smoke its working it is an amazing one of a kind experience...

th13teen

I love this ride simply because even when the queue is short and fastrack are at there most the queue moves beautifuly fast and then of course once inside the building the theming takes your mind off queueing!
I did notice last time I visited that it broke down many times and all the times it was open the music did not play the music , I feel without the music the ride is wasted!

sebassah

When I was at RNRC the preshow 'Studio C' wasnt a real show but more a walktrough... in Orlando we did that on very unique occasions... what about Paris? It works way better as pre-show, to get your time of waiting, than as a walktrough...

Festival Disney

Another great video by Disneyland Paris' YouTube channel! :D
Although, I'm sure I've seen some of the footage before on an old "behind the scenes" documentary about WDS/DLP  :P

[youtube:2jy7a8z3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwRdmzjOlQ[/youtube:2jy7a8z3]
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

FishyBoy15

I feel like a bit of an idiot dragging this post back up.. But hey!

Yeah, the whole glass op booth is to prevent 'Repetitive Hearing Strain' (it's something we look at in detail at University, obviously on show working, especially long term on the same run, your prone to it)

The replacing of the normal intelligent lights with LED based sources has some great points for fans of the attraction (obviously, me being a theatre lampie, yes I adore it), it would mean we are going to have less and less lighting 'down time' so it's more likely that all of the lights will be working in the attraction at any one time. One down side is, it will involve a lot of attraction downtime to do it, as it would involve stripping out all of the conventional lighting fixtures (which will cost Disney alot to do initially, but when you are paying £200/£300 per moving light lamp to replace it, by switching to LED it obviously eliminates the need for constant lamp changing and lowers attraction running costs due to lower power consumption yada yada..) and it would also involve swapping out all of the various gobos (the shapes you see within all of the lights) to ensure the look of the overall 'show' for each soundtracker is the same as it is now. Overall, it would prove a lengthy process, but after all of the lights within the attraction running pretty much solidly since 2002, they are going to be in need of a good check up. Also, LED's look great in haze/smoke!

They currently use haze within the attraction, so you can see the beams of light, this is simply a very thin version of smoke, which you cannot see without light passing through it. The current lack of it could be any number of things, from a machine being down, a machine running out of fluid and maintenance failing to fill it up, through to a fault with the signal cable (DMX, the same stuff the lights run on) which tells the haze machine to power on. I do remember the days when they used to use smoke/low fog.. But alas :(

On a side note, have any of you guys ever experienced a 'failed' launch? It happened to me last week, the launch sequence happened as normal, the soundtracker locked into the launch system, the countdown ran as normal, as we simply stood still. The soundtrack ran, which was quickly stopped. This was then accompanied by a cast member slowly edging their way down the coaster side of the line you enter after the 'Studio C' preshow and looking at the front of the train (presumably to check if the soundtracker was engaged into the launch system) then after a minute or so waiting, we fired without warning and the soundtracker went around the track in silence. It was quite cool to see the ride running without the music, as the lighting was still running as it should have done.

Previous Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: April 2000
Cheyenne: April 2002
Cheyenne: July 2003
Sequoia Lodge: January 2004
Radisson Blu- Disneyland Paris: July 2010
Cheyenne: August 2010
Cheyenne: January 2011

Upcoming Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: July 2011

RnRCj

Thanks for that post! For me as a fan of the attraction that was very interesting to read. :D

I think I read somewhere that the lights would replaced overnight over a period of two years so there will be no need for significant downtime. Not sure how true that is but it would make sense.

Hopefully these changes will bring the attraction back to its originally quality. The lightshow and smoke used to created a really fantastic effect that was awesome to see.

As for the failed launch - I think it happens quite a lot. Not sure what causes it but it happened to me three times in a row once. :lol: I haven't ever seen Cast Member walk round to check the launch system though. Usually the train is delayed by a few seconds and then continues to launch. Sometimes if the Soundtracker won't move at all they have to do a miniature evacuation and let the passengers out from the cars.

FishyBoy15

Quote from: "RnRCj"Thanks for that post! For me as a fan of the attraction that was very interesting to read. :D

I think I read somewhere that the lights would replaced overnight over a period of two years so there will be no need for significant downtime. Not sure how true that is but it would make sense.

Hopefully these changes will bring the attraction back to its originally quality. The lightshow and smoke used to created a really fantastic effect that was awesome to see.

As for the failed launch - I think it happens quite a lot. Not sure what causes it but it happened to me three times in a row once. :lol: I haven't ever seen Cast Member walk round to check the launch system though. Usually the train is delayed by a few seconds and then continues to launch. Sometimes if the Soundtracker won't move at all they have to do a miniature evacuation and let the passengers out from the cars.

Thats all Good! It's nice to know i'm not the only person who adores  this attraction!

Seeing as smoke/haze machines have come on so much since 2002, so there is hope! I would be a rather happy chap if they bought it back to it's originally glory. If it does go-ahead, I can imagine how refreshed and revitalised the attraction could be if it was done well, and knowing Disney, it will be.

Three failed launches in a row? Now that would just worry the hell out me.

Previous Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: April 2000
Cheyenne: April 2002
Cheyenne: July 2003
Sequoia Lodge: January 2004
Radisson Blu- Disneyland Paris: July 2010
Cheyenne: August 2010
Cheyenne: January 2011

Upcoming Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: July 2011