Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polar vixen

last time we were there, (sep 2011) queue jump was fantastic, however for crushs coaster they inserted you into the queue and you had to stand in a fairly squashed queue in the dark for a good 10 mins.  When I asked if we could wait the 10 mins at the exit instead I was rather nastily told we had to stand in the queue if we wanted to ride.  My son has autism, and doesn't like people pressing him from every side, or having to look around in the dark (moving in the dark is a whole other issue which is why the coaster was ok, but by then he was already stressed and on the verge of having a meltdown.  Does anyone know if the situation's changed?

polar vixen

Does anyone know the process for disabled queueing for crush's coaster please?  do you still have to spend  10 mins standing in the queue?

haribosmum

For parent swap on Crush's coaster, you go through a service corridor and come up the other side (the side people get onto the ride).  I've never had to queue here, just wait to be called.
I'd have thought that if ok with mobility you'd be able to go this way with the disabled pass.  My daughter was too little to ride this last visit, am considering it for our next visit when I'm hoping we will get our pass again as it's half term!
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

polar vixen

That sounds great, thanks for the reply!

Ravenseye

My partner is registered disabled and would find it almost impossible to stand in a queue for around 30 minutes maximum.  From how I read it, there will be 3 adults in our party, only 2 of us can ride together with a disabled priority pass. If i'm right then we will only be able to all 'go on rides' with a very short or non existant queue.
Can anyone enlighten me further?
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

Thaliel

Me, my mom and my sis (who would be the sidabled person) have never had any problems getting on rides together. If an attraction is very crowded, CM might just give you a fixed time where you can come back and ride, but that hardly happens nowadays
<-Plz click

nathalie

There's a new way of doing this at BTM though.

We got through the exit last week, as a friend who was with us has a pass, and the CM said it was a 40 minute wait if we wanted to get on the ride, while the regular waiting line was about 60 minutes.

SwipatronSparks

Curiosity has me asking this more than anything else, i am going to DLP in April and since i have never been in April am i correct in assuming that i will experience queues of a least 45-50 mins (or heaven forbid... Longer)? My knees are really bad when im left standing around for more than 10-15 mins at a time and with no kind of diagnosis as to what causes the pain though i hope to have one by the time our trip comes around (and sometimes swelling) i worry that i could end up missing out on going out or even in a worst case scenario miss an entire day in the parks (when my knees are really bad i cant actually walk properly, and can only get relief when sat in bed with a pillow shoved under my knees to keep them 'bent')  so if i was to get a pass what would i need to take with me? For disney to give me one? Would i be allowed one?
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

jonathan

Quote from: "SwipatronSparks"Curiosity has me asking this more than anything else, i am going to DLP in April and since i have never been in April am i correct in assuming that i will experience queues of a least 45-50 mins (or heaven forbid... Longer)? My knees are really bad when im left standing around for more than 10-15 mins at a time and with no kind of diagnosis as to what causes the pain though i hope to have one by the time our trip comes around (and sometimes swelling) i worry that i could end up missing out on going out or even in a worst case scenario miss an entire day in the parks (when my knees are really bad i cant actually walk properly, and can only get relief when sat in bed with a pillow shoved under my knees to keep them 'bent')  so if i was to get a pass what would i need to take with me? For disney to give me one? Would i be allowed one?

In order to attempt to get a pass you'll either need a blue Disabled Parking Badge or a letter from your GP/Consultant stating that you have a problem/condition and that some form of disability pass would be of benefit to you.

SwipatronSparks

thanks for the help jonathan,
i knew that some people get them via a blue badge but for obvious reasons i dont have one of those, so as i said i hope to at least be on the way to getting a diagnosis as to the problem by the time my trip comes around (im not holding out hope for the symptoms being gone i have had this trouble for the last year and a half how and its getting worse) so i will get a letter off my gp and hopefully get a pass.... got until April so plenty of time yet just planning is helping hold my excitement for now =]
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

jonathan

Oh and the letter needs to be dated within 3 months of your trip so DLP say.  I've never actually got the passes before even though As a Blue Badge holder we'd have been entitle because I wasnt aware of it.

But we arrive on Sunday at DLP and this time around Id looked into it more and my children also qualify.  My GP has written me two letters and I have  consultants report from Great Ormond Street Hospital as well as my Blue Badge to show them so Im hoping that we have all bases covered!

Good Luck

haribosmum

will be at dlp in 5 weeks :-) so excited but a little worried as it's half term!  have got a letter for my daughter (based on the same one we had last year) and I kept the pass we got last year.  my daughter now has a mclaren major buggy (more of a mobility one than a normal pushchair so more obvious she's not just being a lazy 5 yrold) so we're hoping that all will be ok for a pass again this year.  Really hoping we get sorted for 2 adults and 1 child again.  Has anyone been recently with a pass and know if can still use for the princess pavillion?
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

jonathan

Quote from: "haribosmum"will be at dlp in 5 weeks :-) so excited but a little worried as it's half term!  have got a letter for my daughter (based on the same one we had last year) and I kept the pass we got last year.  my daughter now has a mclaren major buggy (more of a mobility one than a normal pushchair so more obvious she's not just being a lazy 5 yrold) so we're hoping that all will be ok for a pass again this year.  Really hoping we get sorted for 2 adults and 1 child again.  Has anyone been recently with a pass and know if can still use for the princess pavillion?

Yes we used it at princess pavillion last month twice-one lovely experience and one horrible experience.

First visit to the pavillion was wonderful.  Went up to the disabled entrance and rang the bell.  A man came out and said to my daughter than Cinderella and Ariel were in and she could choose one.  As she'd already seen Cinders at the Aunberge she chose Ariel.  So we followed the man and he told us to wait and we'd be next.  Unfortunately he left us by Cinders door instead of Ariel's by mistake.  But the staff were very understanding so after seeing Cinders again the man agreed to lead her round to see Ariel as it was his mistake.  So a very nice experience and pleasnt staff.

second visit a few days later was awful.  My daughter asked the lady who she could see and was told quite sternly 'you have to wait it's a surprise'.  When I explained about the other chap giving her options she quite sternly said 'he shouldnt have done'.  When we were walking in we deduced by the photos coming up on the wall that it was Rapunzel and Cinderella and my dughter got excited to see Rapunzel but the staff lady tried to force her to see Cinders instaed and started shouting at my Mum for trying to explain thr situation.  Eventually a photographer let us go to see Rapunzel while my 3 kids were tearful and asking why the ladies were shouting at us.

Hopefully when you visit you will have the nice staff on and not the horrid staff lol.  Good luck!

haribosmum

We were very lucky last time and had lovely staff, although we didn't get to choose.  But we were stood outside one of the doors and daughter was in Rapunzel outfit, the staff on doors were talking between themselves and we caught on what they were saying and she asked did we want to stand by the other door instead - and we got to see Rapunzel.  I think I was just as excited as my daughter.  The oter times (I think we went 4 times over 4 days) we could tell who it was from the photos but happy to go with whoever but I think we did mention one time that we'd seen Tiana earlier that day (and it was actually a different Tiana by then) and they put us with Ariel.  

They said there was no return in 2 hrs before which is fair enough as i know the queue is often that.  we're not doing Auberge this year as wasn't very happy with our 2nd visit on our last trip so this will be our only chance to meet princesses.  My daughter told me the other day that it's just people dressed up as Mickey mouse etc as they're cartoons, but she's very adamant that the Princesses are the real ones as they are real people.  

Thanks for your help.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

Tubbyherman

Has anyone who's been recently just used their blue badge as proof of disability? I have done previously but since the changes I wasn't sure if they were wanting additional proof.