Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubbyherman

To be honest I don't ever think there will be a system which suits all parties, I think Disney do a lot of good things to help make a trip for a disabled family more enjoyable. I'm sure there'll be lots of families like mine who wouldn't make so many return trips without those systems in place, and I appreciate how when people abuse the system that can antagonise people. Maybe Disney should go down the same route as Legoland, where all queues can now accommodate wheelchair users, and only those with social disorders which affect their ability to queue are given an access pass. Just a thought.

polar vixen

It's a shame people can't be trusted to usethier passes fairly.  Like I said, I've held up our pass from the back of a crowd and waited for the character to come to us, purely because i'm not putting my son into a situation where he's going to get trampled, (not that that's ok for anyone else either), and I don't mind hanging back and waiting for a few minutes.  Same as some one else, when you have child that can rarely accept other touching them, but can stand beside a disney character and smile, it's a real gift.  we've always been happy to wait a few minutes, and wait our turn in the disabled queue, not particuarly because of the time involved, but because there's no crowding or worry about someone accidentally touching him.  For my son, dealing with crowds pressing on him results in nightmares, complete shut down and self harm, so without the pass, we wouldn't be able to do anything, other than sit in a corner and watch.  My second son also has his own pass because of similardifficulties, but my other 2 children never got pics taken with characters, and we take turns going on the rides.  we did object last year, when a non-disabled family and I know that cos they didn't have a pass anyway, ran throught the exit when the cm wasn't looking, and took the space that was kept for disabled users. grrrr.  It seems anyone can take advantage whether disabled or not, just have to do what's right ourselves :?

gemmasteele84

I think its hard when you have high morals and see others getting away with things you wouldn't think of doing. Its the same with pushing, I teach both my children to wait their turn and don't push but I admit last time we went after countless other children and adults pushed in front of us to meet Chip and Dale I lost my patience and pushed him forward.

little tinker fairy

My son has an eye condition that means he cannot see distance very well at all (cannot be corrected with glasses) he doesn't have a disabled badge or anything like that, he is only 2.

I wondered if we had a letter from the consultant we would be able to get seats in front row for shows? this would be the only way he would get any enjoyment out of it....

tubbsy

https://my-disneyland.disneylandparis.c ... ct-us.html
Hi little tinker fairy-Have you tried emailing the special needs dept? (Scroll down to the bottom)
I did about getting a quieter room away from the lifts as my son couldnt sleep when we stayed in Sequoia (We were near the lifts and he panicked as he could hear people running up and down) They responded in two days saying they will make a note on our records but cant promise anything -Really appreciated it.
They may be able to answer your question.

I've just been reading about the pros and cons of the pass from a few weeks ago. Dont know if any of you had seen this?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15552
Bites tongue!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

captain rocket

Unfortunately, Disney have solved your problem! There are no sit down shows in DLRP this summer so there are no front row seats to allocate! The only show is Dreams at park closing time and there is no reserved seating or standing area at the front, the only way to get to the front for this fantastic show is to get there early! They may, however be prepared to allocate a spot in the disabled areas for Disney Magic on parade. Have a great visit!

polar vixen

Hi, just a bit concerned, when you say no shows other than dreams, are you including all those on in disney studios - stitch live, animagique, etc?

captain rocket

No not at all, the shows in the studio continue. I was referring to the main park, no scheduled entertainment on the Castle stage, no scheduled entertainment in Videopolis, No scheduled entertainment in the Chaperral theatre.
I wrote on another subject heading that on the actual day of the 20th anniversary we had proper entertainment in all the different lands, this is what we should expect from Disney, but given the financial position we are unlikely to get it! After the end of September we loose Dreams as a daily show, there is little chance of Fantilusion returning so the main park will, effectively be without ANY daily entertainment. This is just not what we should get from Disney!

gemmasteele84

little tinker fairy - if you get a letter form your dr you should be able to get an easy access pass. this will let you go to special seating which is at the front in stitch live, playhouse disney and the stunt show in studios. Animagic the disabled seating is halfway back as there would be steps to go down to get to the front but im sure if you get there a little earlier than starting you will be ok. The parades have a area right next to the parade path so that won't be an issue either. Those were the only shows we saw so can't comment on any others but Disney couldnt do enough for us regarding my husbands disability so Im sure if you ask hey will be happy to help you.

little tinker fairy

We are going to see his consultant in June - if he did a letter would they accept it? we don't go to Disney till Oct - I had read something about the letter being within 3 months??

This is a life long condition that will not improve.

nathalie

Yes, the letter must not be older then 3 months prior to your visit.
So if you go in June, the letter probably won't be good for going in October.

EmilieK

I need some advice, I have adhd, Aspergers and Fibromyalgia and thought that it was about time I got a disabilities pass on my next trip instead of just finding a bench and waiting for my freinds couse the line is to long and I cant be bothered on my next trip. But in norway they don't give out a blue badge to people with theese diseases (not that I drive anyway) and we don't have any form of disability card so my only choice was a dotctors note sort of speak, but my doctor didn't really understand and basicly gave me a useless note that says " I hereby atest that this person has several diseases and have difficulties standing in ques" and nothing more.
 Now I'm not sure what to do. Will this be enough? I'm thinking to just ignore the card as usual but it would be a big help in june. I really don't want to go back to my doctor and ask for a new note.
 Does anybody have any ideas?

Aurora1

I don`t know anything about the rules about disabilities at Disney. But reading your post, I thought the doctor should be more understanding, to put it nice words! Is it possible you`ll get him to at least write out your disabilities? Maybe that would be enough? Or do you have a hospital near by, where you`ve already been? If they can help?
I hope you`ll find a solution, tha dosn`t make you stay in queues on your next visit!
Good luck!
Aurora1

EmilieK

You'r right, he should have been more understanding and after talking to my parents I have decided to switch doctors cause this one has been wery unfreindly on many acounts now. So I plan to have my new doctor write me a new note. Does anybody have any idea what I should specificly ask her to put in the letter? Other than diagnoses that is. What does your letters usually say for instance. Any advice is apreciated.
 Just trying to avoid another useless letter situation.

nathalie

It should say in the letter what condition the person has.

I have a panic disorder, I will go absolutely nuts if I have to wait in line for more then 20 minutes (depending on what ride, but BTM is a big no-no in my condition, because I find you are more jammed together in that line).

So both my psycologist and doctor wrote in the note, that I suffer from a severe panic disorder, which makes waiting in long lines very difficult.