Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scampbunny

hi jonathan
u need a letter from dr stating the condition for ur children.... ur blue badge will b ok for u, but they need sumthin that states their condition dated within 3 months of ur visit :)

June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights  June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights

jonathan

I asked the Doctor this morning and he wont provide it. He says the fact they qualify for the highest rate of DLA is proof enough according to him because hed have to charge me £75 per letter .  Obviously he aint up to speed on Disneys requirements but he wont budge :-(

If I do manage to persuade him will it cover the whole group travelling anyway? What with my Mum being a paid carer for the children and of course my 5 year old.  Theres no point in me badgering my GP if theyd not be covered by any such pass.  Thanks for your reply

zara-x

Quote from: "Day-Dreamer"Thank you for pointing me to the other thread DutchBrit. Can't you tell I'm new!

Hi Day-Dreamer:

The thread that DutchBrit directed you to was one I created in order to find out opinions and experiences with the new system. I thought you (and others) may be interested to read the reply I received from DLP Guest Communication when I wrote to query the new system. This is just an excerpt and I must also say that I don't think anything is ever definite when it comes to DLP's disability service, sometimes it is based on the circumstances as you may have read in my other thread.

"As mentioned in your emails, a new procedure has been put in place for Guests with special needs. Only two different special access cards are now available at the resort. An 'Easy Access Card' for those suffering from temporary disabilities or debilitating illnesses and a 'Disabled Priority Card' for Guests who are registered disabled. These cards have been created in order to better respond to the needs of each Guest in accordance with current regulations.

I can confirm that one able-bodied adult and a maximum of three children, unless they are under 12 years of age, may accompany each Disabled Priority Card holder. Only one person may accompany the holder of the 'Easy Access Card' unless they also have a 'Carte Familiale de Priorité'"

Hope that helps you and others! Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like to know more about my experiences or about the emails I sent and received.  :)
Faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust...

scampbunny

jonathan....
not sure if a letter stating all the info for all parties wud be ok???  all i know is that they want either a blue badge or letter which must be dated within 3 months.....

obviously i havent tried any other method but do know that dla letter will not be acceptable.....  sum drs really arent helpful are they??? :(

the only other thing i can suggest is to contact disney directly and ask them - but cannot guarantee ull get a cm who knows what ur asking (ive sumtimes had probs gettin my point about disabilities across)....

BUT, once u get the pass - it will be a lifesaver xx

June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights  June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights

jonathan

Thanks for your reply scampybunny.  I certainly appeciate what you mean by getting a cast member who understands your points.

Because the DLA letter says things on it like ' you are entitiled to this because you need help with so and so and you are unable to blah blah because youve got so and so' etc my doctors seem to think its sufficient.

To be fair though it wouldnt be worth giving my Doctor £75 a pop to write some letters anyway I dont think.

Thanks

jonathan

Sorry, do you think maybe the travel agent may be able to find out for me?  At least its their phone bill ringing France and not mine lol

gemmasteele84

so are children not allowed with the 'easy access card'? My husband has disability and cant stand/walk for too long but we dont have a blue badge (just lost it, in appeal atm) I can obviously be the other adult but cant leave my two kids. lol.
On a related note anyone know how much it is to rent wheelchairs please?

jonathan

jonathan

Quote from: "jonathan"I asked the Doctor this morning and he wont provide it. He says the fact they qualify for the highest rate of DLA is proof enough according to him because hed have to charge me £75 per letter .  Obviously he aint up to speed on Disneys requirements but he wont budge :-(

If I do manage to persuade him will it cover the whole group travelling anyway? What with my Mum being a paid carer for the children and of course my 5 year old.  Theres no point in me badgering my GP if theyd not be covered by any such pass.  Thanks for your reply

In the Doctors this morning and he sayd hell happily write me whatever is needed and sign and stamp it etc.  Guessing he was in a bad mood when I asked before ?  :shock:

gemmasteele84

Glad it got sorted :) Good thing you asked again!

jonathan

Quote from: "gemmasteele84"Glad it got sorted :) Good thing you asked again!

Thank you  :D   I think when one of the secretaries asked before it wsnt my actual GP (Hes been usually very helpful to me before) but this time it was and said he would only charge me a tenner for admin costs if anything.

Hopefully hell do it as promised and hopefully it will help us out!   :D

scampbunny

oh that is good news jonathan!!!!  :thumbs:

jonathan

Quote from: "scampbunny"oh that is good news jonathan!!!!  :thumbs:

It is...thanks!  :D

chloe-o

hi all, when getting a doctors letter how detailed does it need to be? My daughter is believed to have a genetic syndrome that presents with autistic features, she is considered autistic by her psych report. We are going in 18 days and i am so anxious about getting  a pass because i know what a difference it could make to us avoiding a "meltdown". Know body wants to see Alice kick off believe me! The doctors told me this morning they can't do a long detailed letter and Alices peadiatrician has gone off sick so i can't ask them. How do you define Autism and all the things she would find difficult in a paragraph?! I rang the helpline this morning and was told i'm overthinking it and that if i have a letter i'll be fine but i'm just worried that on the day they'll see her and think she doesnt need the help. I have her dla award letter to take too but no blue badge. We have never applied for one although i do know of parents of autistic children who have recieved one because of the saftey aspect of being out and about with them.

Also on our trip there will be two adults, my eldest daughter alice, her 6 year old sister scarlett and 2 year old brother. If we do manage to get a pass it looks by the info that we'll probably be split up which will be so, so sad and will cause a whole different bundle of stress being split up half the time. Fingers crossed it all goes ok!

haribosmum

Hi, my letter hardly detailed anything.  He pretty much looked that it had the NHS logo on it, I briefly said what the problem was (mobility in my daughters case) and he checked date of letter.  We got a diabled priority pass which i know was different to some people about as we were never asked to go back.  I know there was a family with autistic son who in front of us on Buzz Lightyear who were given a time to come back in 1/2 hr.  They may not split you up, don't stress too much!  If you don't get what you think you should, keep asking.  I think the policy on paper is a lot stricter than in reality when the child/family is actually at the desk x
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20