New attractions paid by TWDC??

Started by Kristof, December 30, 2007, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yesitsme

Quote from: "Baloo"About the Beauty and the Beast animatronic show for Fantasyland: I've always wondered how they'd fit such a huge building on what looks like a tiny backstage space... Is it really ever going to be used for future development?

I don't think there would be a problem, the majority of the attraction would probably sit the other side of the train tracks.

Kristof

B&B wasn't supposed to come near the train tracks.  It's location was behind Bella Notte.

Maarten

Quote from: "Yesitsme"Also to the people who have commented on Crush and Cars...They are D ticket attractions and as D Ticket attractions I think they are great, and with the increase in attendance levels I think they have proven that they are a draw for visitors.

In your original comment you talked about the addition of Soarin' as a step backwards to the Studios. So its only normal for me to make a comment about the current state of attractions in the Studios then, especially the newest additions, not the E-tickets in the Disneyland Park. And besides, even from a D-ticket like Crush I migh expect quality, but to me it doesn't even reach the quality level I come to expect from a D-ticket. The coaster part is simply unthemed. Thats something no Disney attraction is ever allowed to, not even an A-ticket. Every attraction, garden, castmember costume etc should be themed or fit the theme. Thats what a Disney experience is all about. Crush doesn't deliver on its promise in my opinion, especially when you take in consideration which techniques they have used at the same time at the Subs in Anaheim or The Seas at Epcot, when you take in consideration that the coaster is too extreme for small children while they choose to "theme" the attraction to an animated film, and because of its downtime.

To me Soarin' rocks. I agree the theatre itself isn't really themed, but I guess thats quite difficult. Besides that, the film itself makes up for that because it immerses big time, unlike Crush's Coaster. The queue area will be the area where guests will spend most of the time, and there is no sign that this will be unthemed, especially since the exsisting Soarin' queue's (especially at DCA) are themed quite well. On top of that, Soarin' will become part of Theatre District, which will focus on different ways of presenting a films. That way the loading area isn't supposed to be an entirely different world, while Crush's Coaster wants its guests to believe that they are in a different world; a world where Toons shoot there films and where the EAC is recreated. But it lacks, like I said before.

Besides, wether a new attraction is a draw for visitors doesn't mean the attraction contains a quality experience. People get attracted because of the name and films they associate with these attractions, but no one knows what the satisfaction rate is right? How high is the amount of revisits since Toon Studio opened? Thats seems more like an indication of its succes to me. But even then, like I said earlier, financial succes isn't the same as a creative succes. Thats an entirely different issue.

Yesitsme

You are comparing Soarin' (E-ticket) to Crush (D-Ticket) which makes no sense. If you truly want to compare Soarin' you need to compare it to another E-ticket.

I agree whole heartedly that Crush could be a lot better, expecially as it is a Disney attraction, and you could well be right about whether people would return to ride it again. I'm sure if Crush had a budget of 150 million and not the rumoured 40 million we would have something truly amazing on our hands but cost was a major factor.

You say that no Disney attraction should ever have the kind of basic coaster section as in Crush (agreed) but you want the park to build Soarin which I find just as bad. It basically is a hand glider simulator in a warehouse, with a queue line with a few aeronautical props and posters. I've been to DCA and I didn't find any decent themeing on Soarin'

I question whether Soarin' really does give you a completely immersive experience. I agree that once on the ride it is a good 'show' but does it completely immerse you in a world like true Disney E-tickets? I personaly don't think it does, it's just a very very expensive show. If it cost the same as Crush I'd be begging them to build it but for the money I'd rather they built something increadibly well themed which places you into a believeable environment from the minute you get close to it ala POTC and TOT (although TOT doesn't work nearly as well as it does in MGM)

If they could just come up with a fantastic theme/use for the Soarin technology I'd be very happy!

Owain

Im just hoping for splash, DLRP first real water ride, very popular in the american parks and it could be re-imagineered for paris  :)

Plus even if it was a copy ive been watching the american videos over again to refresh my memory (havnt been to america in a couple of years) and its got brilliatn themeing. Top ride for DLRP. And also i love IJA, been watching videos of it,  :o The themeing !

Maarten

Quote from: "Yesitsme"You are comparing Soarin' (E-ticket) to Crush (D-Ticket) which makes no sense. If you truly want to compare Soarin' you need to compare it to another E-ticket.

No, I don't. Like I said, you mentioned that Soarin' would be a step backwards for the Studios (the entire park). In that case one should compare Soarin' to the quality of the current offerings at the Studios, otherwise you should have made another statement. One should compare wether Soarin' has a lower quality then any attraction at the Studios like you mentioned. Personally, I don't think so. To me Crush, although a D-ticket instead of an E-ticket already lacks more quality then Soarin', so to me Soarin' can't make the park worse since it doesn't go below the standards of Crush, the worst attraction at the Studios in my humble opinion. And ofcourse I understand they are in a different league, but even for a D-ticket, Crush lacks. I don't compare the scale of attractions... I compare quality. And a good D-ticket can be just as good as an E-ticket. Its possible to compare a certain amount of attractions within a park, as long as you compare attractions in their own right.

QuoteI agree whole heartedly that Crush could be a lot better, expecially as it is a Disney attraction, and you could well be right about whether people would return to ride it again. I'm sure if Crush had a budget of 150 million and not the rumoured 40 million we would have something truly amazing on our hands but cost was a major factor.

In that case they should have come up with something else. There is no excuse for a Disney attraction (D-ticket or not), not to deliver the quality that one may expect from such an attraction. As a paying guest, I don't care wether Disney had the money or not to do it right. To me Soarin', although with its unthemed theatre, does give me a unique, quality experience like only Disney can provide. Just like Le Visionarium did for example...

QuoteYou say that no Disney attraction should ever have the kind of basic coaster section as in Crush (agreed) but you want the park to build Soarin which I find just as bad. It basically is a hand glider simulator in a warehouse, with a queue line with a few aeronautical props and posters. I've been to DCA and I didn't find any decent themeing on Soarin'

Like I mentioned in my earlier post; to me the film makes up for it. And I like the queue area (although not Disney at its best, I totally agree) with its area music and pics and props which give me a sense of history and aviation. Besides that, its difficult to theme the theatre itself properly (unlike the coaster section in Crush) and it fits the theme of Theatre District where one is able to learn more about the techniques and ways of showing films if I am right. But once again, why did no one ever complain about our beloved Le Visionarium?

Well, lets face it. You don't like Soarin' at all, and thats your right to do so. On the other hand, I adore Soarin'. So maybe we should stop this discussion about Crush/Soarin' because unfortunatley we aren't going to agree... but thats one of the beautiful things of a discussion board; everyone is entitled to his own opinion, and everyone should respect that.  :)

(Hopefully you understand my posts, since its quite difficult for me to find the right words sometimes and expres myself. English isn't my mothertongue.)  :wink:

penfold12

I really dont understand why people rate soarin'

As previously said. if you compare apples with apples, and oranges with oranges, the compare Soarin' with other E ticket attractions. Im sorry, but BTM, POTC, Phantom Mannor, TOT, these are all highly themed E ticket attractions.

Soarin' is to me roughly a suped up version of Le Visionarium for example. Nothing wrong with that, but hardly ground breaking of unique enough to be classed as a classic Disney E ticket.

Yes its fun, and yes its clever, but its hardly ground breaking. Back to the Future, all be it less complex, was doing it years ago. That also had a great storyline, Soarin' however, again in my opinion does not.

Im not saying its bad, just that its hardly up tehre with the classics. In my opinion, if the idea is to grow the Studios, and get repeat bussiness, then lets invest the money in a classic. A highly themed attraction that screams out to re ride, and that can also create a a whole "world", just like BTM and Exp. Everest.

davewasbaloo

Now, as much as I love BTM and EE, I would much rather ride Soarin' anytime!!!!
since 2001 (many before that)

Yesitsme

I love the technology behind Soarin' I just hate the execution of it, to me it isn't Disney quality as it is largely un-themed.

Just to clarify why I said that Soarin' is a step backwards in my original post...
With the addition of Crush. Cars and TOT/Boulevard the park has finally taken a step in the right direction by adding 'some' themeing. As I said I agree with you over Crush but you cannot deny that it does add some theming to the park. The impression many people gave was that the would like them to build Soarin' and would be happy if it was the same as in the USA. This would be a step back in my opinion because it is another un themed attraction. The park needs more highly themed attractions and not another ride/show in a warehouse.

IF they could just come up with a perfect strong theme for Soarin' I would love it.

I really don't like the idea of Theatre district being all about showing off the film technology, I find that increadibly Boarin' :)

Just out of interest if Soarin' didn't exist, what would be your second choice for a new attraction? doesn't have to be something which already exists, just curious what you would choose?

P.S your English is very good and I understand you perfectly.

Yesitsme

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Now, as much as I love BTM and EE, I would much rather ride Soarin' anytime!!!!

And you call yourself a Disney fan?!?!? :)

Go and watch the Lion king 3 times and say 12 Roy Disney's :)

Yesitsme

Quote from: "penfold12"I really dont understand why people rate soarin'

As previously said. if you compare apples with apples, and oranges with oranges, the compare Soarin' with other E ticket attractions. Im sorry, but BTM, POTC, Phantom Mannor, TOT, these are all highly themed E ticket attractions.

Soarin' is to me roughly a suped up version of Le Visionarium for example. Nothing wrong with that, but hardly ground breaking of unique enough to be classed as a classic Disney E ticket.

Yes its fun, and yes its clever, but its hardly ground breaking. Back to the Future, all be it less complex, was doing it years ago. That also had a great storyline, Soarin' however, again in my opinion does not.

Im not saying its bad, just that its hardly up tehre with the classics. In my opinion, if the idea is to grow the Studios, and get repeat bussiness, then lets invest the money in a classic. A highly themed attraction that screams out to re ride, and that can also create a a whole "world", just like BTM and Exp. Everest.

I agree completely.

Sadly Crush/Cars are not classics but if they help to bring in enough business so that they can aford to build some classics I'm happy.

I just wish they would make the studios more 'real' and not just cheap sets.

Maarten

Quote from: "Yesitsme"Just out of interest if Soarin' didn't exist, what would be your second choice for a new attraction? doesn't have to be something which already exists, just curious what you would choose?

At Toon Studio I would build Monsters Inc. Hide & Seek which is currently under construction at Tokyo Disneyland.

QuoteP.S your English is very good and I understand you perfectly.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that.  :)

Yesitsme

Quote from: "Maarten"
Quote from: "Yesitsme"Just out of interest if Soarin' didn't exist, what would be your second choice for a new attraction? doesn't have to be something which already exists, just curious what you would choose?

QuoteAt Toon Studio I would build Monsters Inc. Hide & Seek which is currently under construction at Tokyo Disneyland. ]

Hooray! I completely agree! :)

Jon

Quote from: "Maarten"At Toon Studio I would build Monsters Inc. Hide & Seek which is currently under construction at Tokyo Disneyland.
noooooooooo! 3 out of the last 4 rides were pixar rides......please paris needs a break from pixar!
If we don\'t have the key, we can\'t open whatever it is we don\'t have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don\'t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?

Kristof

I wouldn't mind see the Monsters Inc. come to Toon Studio, but right now I prefer some more expansion elsewhere in the park.  Most holes are filled now (with the exception of the Soarin' location), so I think they should start thinking out of the box now and expand the current borders.  There's lots of ground available behind the Tram Tour station.  A NY Street set of some kind wouldn't hurt with a restaurant, snack points and a few boutiques inside.  Totally going off topic now, but I came up with this idea a few years ago about a small attraction for kids which can go behind the Street Sets.  One of the buildings can be themed as the front of a Natural History Museum with behind it a large playset for kids with dinosaur skeletons and stuff, kinda like Dinoland USA at Animal Kingdom.  

Aaanyway.  lol...