Ratatouille: L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy

Started by The Butlin Boy, October 12, 2007, 10:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

WDS really needs a DCA treatment, but I highly doubt that this will happen within the next ten years, because TWDC is going to build a park in Shanghai and Euro Disney SCA doesn't have the money. So we have to live with the mish-mash for the next years.

andrewuk

Quote from: "Whip"T

There is no consistant theming. You've got America, Australia and Asia represented within a 20 yard area. Unless this is a 'sample the world' thing, there is no consistant theming; and this theme should be left to it's a small world .

Totally unlike Arabia, Africa and the Caribbean in Adventureland then?
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

RnRCj

^In Adventureland, the "sub-areas" flow between each other well. The African area has a similar architectural style to the Arabian area. As you walk through Adventureland you gradually fade out of one sub-area and into the next. There's no way you can say it's the same as Toon Studio, where completely different themes are within centimeters of each other. ;)

Columbiad

Surely a "mish-mash" theme in the Studios park is acceptable? The differant areas represent sound stages, and in real Studios, you'd be able to walk from one sound-stage to the next, with the area and scenery changing entirely.
The way I see it, Toon Studio (as you enter it) begins with a focus on classic animation: Animagique, The Art of Animation and the Flying Carpets. It them moves on into new, modern animation (eg PIXAR). Everntually, I'd like to see the "classic Disney animation" theme strenthened, but hey - I'm now wandering in Imagineering territory. :)

andrewuk

Isn't the theme a studio and so different films are in production on the different sets, with Toon Studios being the animated ones, action films in the backlot, TV shows in the TV studio and the 'Hollywood' area with ToT and Cinemagique?  I obviously appreciate the genius that went into the Disneyland Park, but I think that it aimed higher than a studios concept can aspire to. What links the Toon Studios attractions together is that they are inspired by animated films. That's all you have there, they are different animations, but all still have the bright colours and energy that featured in the films that inspired them. Not the same as adventureland and not as good, but still different sub areas with a common theme.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

mattsteveal

surely each ride is a set for each movie in a studio thats how you can go from one theme to the next so abruptly - as in a real studio. you can't compare lands from two differently themed parks because one blends themes and the other doesn't, i mean you wouldn't expect a real studio to blend a set from the dark knight into a set from mamma mia. two different films two totally different settings partly-filmed at the same studios (pinewood), just to make a nice thematic transition - and i know people will say thats not for the public to see and wds is a theme park not a real studio, but thats what its theme is - a real studio - it may not be pretty but it fits the Studio theme

were many people complaining when cars and crush were being built directly opposite each other?

RnRCj

I don't why we are presuming that each ride is a film set. We are not told this - in Crush we don't know whether we're on a set or whether we're actually supposed to riding the EAC. It's the same with Cars - are we on a set or actually at Route 66?

If they are supposed to be sets, then that doesn't explain Toy Story Playland or Animagique because they are not sets.

There just needs to be a clear theme and story for the whole land.

Basically, if there was a clear story behind it all then we wouldn't be debating what it is would we? :lol:

mattsteveal

toy story playland is a toy story set with three rides in - simple really

we are told the theme it's toon STUDIO in the walt disney STUDIO's they are individual sets like armageddon, moteurs action and RnRC are in the other parts of the park, flying carpets is also a set and STT takes you to two sets on the tour, if it's not clearly explained it is certainly implied in other areas of the park that the theme of the entire park is a Film Studio of which has sets of different movies, it is implied that the rides are "Hot-Sets" this is how i see it, as for animagique, AODA and cinemagique these are Screening "Rooms"(i use rooms loosely) which they also have at real studios - this makes sense and doesn't really need explaining i don't see why disney need to explain every ride's reason for being there when it's pretty much implied by the theme of the entire park - its a film studio

lil-shawn

Quotetoy story playland is a toy story set with three rides in

Toy Story Playland is not a set!! and the whole area is not studio related!!!
Its simply, just Andy´s Backyard where he build up his toys, and now you have the
chance to shrink to the sice of a toy and play with them in the backyard.

Toy Story Playland fits the theme of the studios like it does in a magic kingdom style park.
common true disneyfans who know what a disney park should be like, won´t say something like this!!

The Walt Disney Studios Story and Theme was to make and present a real working Studio,
wich in my eyes don´t and will never work...

RnRCj

Quote from: "mattsteveal"toy story playland is a toy story set with three rides in - simple really
It's not - there is nothing that suggests this. This is another example of making up stories ourselves to justify things. We shouldn't have to do this because the story should be clear to begin with. ;)

Now, it's very easy to say that all these tiny details about story, connections, how the park flows etc. are not important. This would be correct for an average theme park, but we have to remember this is a Disney park.  I don't understand this general thought that because it's WDS the details aren't so important.

Disney are well known for taking those extra steps. Any theme park can create a collection of themed rides. What makes Disney so special are the extra details such as a great story and the way parks flows.

This is the exact reason why so many people, including most on this forum, would rather go to Disney park than any other theme park.

The fact is, Toon Studio is not visually pleasing because of the contrasting themes. So they do need to link them with a clear story that will make the area "look" like it makes sense.

It is possible - the evidence is at Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando. Over there, they've got Indiana Jones and Stars Tours "sets" positioned in the same area, yet they still look like they belong with each other. This is the sort of thing WDS needs. ;)

It's also interesting to note that between Star Tours and Indy they've got the Backlot Express, proving that to make the park flow better WDS NEEDS MORE RESTAURANTS!! :P

CafeFantasia

Meanwhile, WDSfans on Twitter:

"CM's report a coblestone path is being paved between Toy Story Playland and the Costuming Building, in preparation of Ratatouille."

RnRCj

Quote from: "Alan"Meanwhile, WDSfans on Twitter:

"CM's report a coblestone path is being paved between Toy Story Playland and the Costuming Building, in preparation of Ratatouille."
Hehe, I almost forgot this was the Ratatouille topic...

Good news about the path, kinda surprising that DLP had the sense to start the project now whilst they've got chance. :lol:

mattsteveal

Look I'm not saying that this whole concept is not a mish mash of themes because it is, I'm only stating that in my opinion as this is a film studio themed park you can because it does fit the story behind the park IF you assume that each different sub-area/soundstage is an individual set, you can imagine toy story playland as a set just like I remember the Honey I shrunk the kids playground "set" they once had at Disney Hollywood Studios (or MGM studios as it was then) and as the map in the link below has TSPL in toon studio you can assume the theme to the toon studio land applies to it as well:

//http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/walt-disney-studios-park/toon-studio/map/

Toon Studio: "The Toon Studio concept is a spin-off of the Mickey's Toontown idea. Mickey's Toontown is an area at three other Disney theme parks where guests can experience the living environments of Disney characters, whereas the Walt Disney Studios is being publicised as where the Disney characters 'go to work', producing their animated films themselves using conventional movie-making equipment."

I'm not gonna keep arguing my point and I can see how un-disney it may seem for this kind of theming (or lack of) and I suppose my thinking requires a bit of imagination and assuming. But in respect to the story behind the park and the land I see that it fits but that's only my opinion

Anyway Ratatouille! Does anyone think that the dome maybe used in a similar way to pooh's hunny hunt as a transitional scene (the pooh ride has a section where you see several screens with animated characters between audio-animatronic sections of the ride)

guest3474

I've been thinking that this may be what the dome is for... It'd make for some immersive theming!  :thumbs:

15MagicalYears

I thought the dome might have been for one of the buildings? Good idea though, can't wait to see soem concept art.