Ratatouille: L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy

Started by The Butlin Boy, October 12, 2007, 10:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM:M3

Although this could be the ride to change the park completely, it highlights the mish-mash of themes, not just in the park but within Toon Studio;
The old Animation Courtyard area
Flying Carpets Over Agrabah and the African area
Crush's Coaster and the undersea area
Cars Race Rally and the Route 66 area
Toy Story Playland and the "shrunk to toy size" area
Ratatouille and the Parisian area
The Meet and Greet area with the Toon Town backdrop
Monsters Inc and that small area

And then Hollywood Boulevard, a working Backlot, the art-deco (ish) Production Courtyard, the beautiful Front Lot...

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "SM:M3"Although this could be the ride to change the park completely, it highlights the mish-mash of themes

Right. That's why I think they should expand upon the existing themes that are there, to create more immersive areas. For example, Crush's Coaster's queue should be expanded into the area that is now occupied by Flying Carpets Over Agrabah, to create a larger Finding Nemo area, with some sort of sydney harbour-themed shop, restaurant or play area. Cars Race Rally should be expanded upon by adding either a Cozy Cone Motel cafe, or a Sci Fi Dine-In Theater restaurant themed to Cars.

Toon Studios should be renamed Pixar Place. Animagique should be replaced with either a Monsters, Inc. dark ride or Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor attraction. And as for the Art of Disney Animation, I think the exterior should be rethemed to replicate the Carthay Circle Theatre (like they're building over at DCA) to separate it from Pixar Place and tie it in with Hollywood Boulevard.

RnRCj

The clashing themes is one of the main problems with WDS.

In one of the first pages of the new Imagineering book it says how every project starts with a great story so that everything can be built around it. Unfortunately that's what WDS doesn't seem to have.

The park doesn't flow from one scene to another. One second you're in Hollywood, the next second you're in Sydney harbour - with nothing to explain why.

There needs to be one main story to tie everything together. Getting this problem sorted would be the biggest step they could take to making WDS a "real" Disney park.

lil-shawn

Sometimes i think the disney fans are more imagineers than the people wo work really there.
i think the studios is a great example of a park that no one will work on it, and it also
shows how imagineers got hold back on the short leash.
because money isn´t the only issue, if they want the can get money from investors ect. but
they need to bring up good ideas that people are interested to spend the money on it.

ed-uk

I'm thinking that the WDS is a work in progess. What do you mean RnRcj, "one second you're in Hollywood, the next second you're in Sydney harbour" have I missed something ? I guess you're refering to Crushes Coaster, which is in Toon Studio. One second you're in Hollywood, and the next second you're in Toon Studio. That's the way I see it anyway. It does tie together.
Ed & David

dagobert

On second you are in Hollywood another second the Hollywood theming and feeling is destroyed because you see the parachute tower in TSPL. At least I was annoyed in February to see the green tower while "being" in Hollywood.

I also think that WDS is a mish-mash of themes. To be honest, the ToT doesn't fit into the Production courtyard. It will fit when the whole courtyard will be transformed into a Hollywood themed land. Nevertheless I like the whole area around ToT. Now it's just a nice place to relax and have a glass of these nice Perrier Cocktails.

ed-uk

It's not a mish-mash of themes really. Ok I know people don't like the Parachute drop, but just think of the view you'll get of the resort from the top. Why wouldn't Disney try and replicate the huge success of the Pixar films in their theme parks. Hence Toon Studio. I can see TOT from BTM, how does TOT fit into Frontierland ? You have to suspend disbelief sometimes.
Ed & David

dagobert

Quote from: "ed-uk"It's not a mish-mash of themes really. Ok I know people don't like the Parachute drop, but just think of the view you'll get of the resort from the top. Why wouldn't Disney try and replicate the huge success of the Pixar films in their theme parks. Hence Toon Studio. I can see TOT from BTM, how does TOT fit into Frontierland ? You have to suspend disbelief sometimes.

Maybe the reason I think that WDS a mish-mash is that I have been to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida and now I always compare these two parks. There everything is well designed to fit a particular theme, for example Sunset Blvd and ToT and RnRC. And I think that's not the case in Paris.

I do understand Disney to replicate the success of the Pixar movies and I don't have a problem with it since I like nearly all of the Pixar movies.

Don't get me wrong. I really like WDS, because it improved in the last years. In 2006 we didn't spend a lot of time there, because the park was ugly and didn't offer great things. Now we enjoy the park, especially the new rides like ToT with the surrounding Hollywood area or the Toon Studio with Crush and Cars. I like both rides and in my opinion the theming is okay for these rides.

I only have a problem with TSPL, because I think it will end up like Chester and Hester's Dinorama in DAK. If you like it, I'm fine with it. Maybe it will turn out as a nice area. Nevertheless I'm not excited about it and I'm looking forward to Ratatouille.

RnRCj

Quote from: "ed-uk"It's not a mish-mash of themes really.
What on earth would you consider to be a mish-mash of themes then? I mean, WDS is a perfect example of just that. :lol:

The park really needs that central story to explain why there are so many different themes. Crush's Coaster, Flying Carpets and Cars are all huddled up in one corner and we're not told why. Toy Story Playland just adds more clashing themes and so will Ratatouille.

The story is a vital step which has been missed. It would make the whole park flow better. See how Disneyland Park flows so well between the lands? You gradually fade out of one story and into the next.

Hollywood Boulevard needs a story which then flows into a Toon Studio story.

At the moment it's Hollywood, then BAM!.... Toy Story Playland..... and we're left wondering why a giant green tower has been erected in the back yard of Franklin's department store.

dagobert

RnRCj you are absolutely right. I didn't think about how Ratatouille with a Parisian backdrop or Cars Race Rally and Crush would fit into Toon Studio. For me a studio is place where films are created and these rides don't have anything in common with creatong movies.

Maybe WDI is thinking this way: Ratatouille is a movie, so it fits into a studios park. Cars and Finding nemo are also movies and so they also fit.

Nevertheless I can't wait to experience Ratatouille!

Martyn

It isn't really a mish-mash. Its all 'toony', which means it fits with the Toon Studio theme. How can you have a ride themed to Cars, Nemo and Toy Story, but keep the theme the same? You cant!

They need to keep the Toon Studio name, it works well, but like other people are saying, they need to expand Nemo and Cars to more than just one small attraction.

Also they need to make each section of the Toon Studio (TSPL, Paris etc) more like a film set, to make it feel as if you're in the film. Its a very simple idea, which would be easy to create, would be very effective, and would actually make everything fit in nicely.

If this image is genuine, I'd imagine the Costume building will slowly be faded out....! :D

RnRCj

Quote from: "Dagobert"Maybe WDI is thinking this way: Ratatouille is a movie, so it fits into a studios park. Cars and Finding nemo are also movies and so they also fit.
That probably is their reasoning behind it at the moment; it doesn't work and needs to be sorted. It's fine to include all these different movies in Toon Studio but they really need to tie them all together somehow. They did it well with Fantasyland, so there must be a way to do it here.

Even though the Rat will confuse things a little more, I gotta admit I am liking the sound of a little Parisian placemaking as well as the attraction itself. :lol:

lil-shawn

QuoteIt's fine to include all these different movies in Toon Studio but they really need to tie them all together somehow. They did it well with Fantasyland, so there must be a way to do it here.

Maybe by doing it like at DHS, make a Picar Place, and putt this bricks on the facades!!

QuoteAlso they need to make each section of the Toon Studio (TSPL, Paris etc) more like a film set, to make it feel as if you're in the film. Its a very simple idea, which would be easy to create, would be very effective, and would actually make everything fit in nicely.

I don´t think so, it don´t need to be a filmset, in fantasyland there is also no filmset, so why not rewrite the
story of toon studios.. make it that like the pixar studios present they´re movies with incredible attractions.
so no filmset theming is needet....

but honestly i think the whole toon studios need to get reworked bevor adding a new attraction....

Martyn

Quote from: "lil-shawn"
QuoteAlso they need to make each section of the Toon Studio (TSPL, Paris etc) more like a film set, to make it feel as if you're in the film. Its a very simple idea, which would be easy to create, would be very effective, and would actually make everything fit in nicely.

I don´t think so, it don´t need to be a filmset, in fantasyland there is also no filmset

Did you really just say that? Of course there is no film set in Fantasyland, because that is in the Disneyland Park, where as these attractions are in the STUDIOS park.....

People are saying these attractions dont fit in the Studios, so adjust them to make it as if the guests are a part of the film. TSPL would be almost perfect for that!

ed-uk

Toon Studios is made up of a selection of smallish rides based on Pixar films, The Art of Disney Animation and Animagique. So people can experience a selection of rides based on different cartoon films mostly Pixar. That's why they've called it Toon Studio. But some people might not like the idea. It's not ment to be like Carsland at DCA, or Fantasyland in Disneyland Park. It's called Toon Studio and it's made up with a selection of Toonish rides. I'ts not ment to be a whole land dedicated to one particular theme like Cars or Fantasy or Adventure. I don't think some people understand.
Ed & David