Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: "Alan"You rode Star Tours 2 and "can't say its not groundbreakingly new". So then it IS groundbreakingly new, right?
Very poor English on my behalf, sorry :)

I meant it wasn't "that much better" to simplify.

It had 3D effects, but then those will just be taken straight as they are from DHS, with some French audio overlay, can be done while the current version is in action.

Queue structure is very nice in Paris, some touch ups and it'd be more than suitable enough.

The ride vehicles are very similar, but I had forgotten the screen/presenting area was different - that may be a few weeks work.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

Anthony

Quote from: "Josh"
Quote from: "Anthony"Should I merge this topic in with the Star Wars land talk, so we can discuss it all in one place?
Makes sense, since they're supposedly part of the same expansion. ;)
I've merged several together. Managed to trace our Star Tours upgrade talk back to 2005. That could be a full 10 years before it actually happens!

CafeFantasia

So will DIsney just leave Captain EO closed for 2 years, before they begin construction on this Star Wars Land (that isn't a land)?

RandySavage

Having some fun conceptualizing the idea:

|Q|

Quote from: "RandySavage"Having some fun conceptualizing the idea:

Oh, i'd love this. I've never thought of a more secluded "Tatooine" area behind the track (never bothered to check out pizza planet). Then they could refit the Star Tours/Captain EO area in a more Coruscant style, that would fit better the Discoveryland look, and use it as a transition to the Tatooine (at that point, in my opinion, they should move the X-Wing in the cantina area, 'cause they fit better together timeline wise). But yeah, probably it's just wishful thinking =)

Q

PS: Randy, i love the passion you put in you projects m/

david

Just going to breathe a bit of life back into these rumours with the great news that Disney is buying Lucasfilm and is hoping to make a sequel trilogy!

It's exciting news in itself, but I'd draw your attention to a comment by Jay Rasulo in Disney's press release that says:

Quote"...We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation."

I imagine it would certainly make building a Star Wars Land a good idea!

Here's the presser for you to read more http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney- ... asfilm-ltd

Malin

Today's announcement is going to fuel speculation about new Star Wars projects for the parks. Obviously now Disney has helped to re finance the debts at the struggling Euro Disney. This is going to free up money to help fund these Star Wars projects.  I think Hong Kong and Shanghai will be the parks to benefit the most from this deal. But the preasure will be on for Disney to make the most out of this deal and so its only a matter of time before Paris recieves the change over. This is a very exciting time!

The Helmsman

Here's an update from the Disney Investors' conference call.

UPDATE – 3 PM: Here are new and updated details on this deal from the official Disney investors' conference call this afternoon:

Deal signed and announced earlier today – includes Star Wars franchise and all Lucasfilm operating businesses.
Indiana Jones franchise rights ARE also included in this deal.
First project under the joint under Disney/Lucas partnership will be Star Wars: Episode 7 in 2015, followed by Episode 8 and Episode 9.
Disney purchased "extensive and detailed" treatment for at least Episode 7 (and possibly Episodes 8 and 9 as well) as part of this deal which they "feel very good about."
Disney long term plan is to release a new live-action Star Wars film every 2-3 years – films may eventually explore entire 20,000 year time-span of the franchise.
Lucas will serve as creative consultant on new Star Wars films. Kathleen Kennedy will executive produce.
Kennedy will serve as Lucasfilm president, reporting to Bob Iger at Disney.
Disney plans to expand Star Wars brand into many new product categories and internationally.
Star Wars brand will also be expanded into Disney parks, games and TV businesses.
Deal was 50% cash and 50% stock – $4.05 billion
Disney believes Lucasfilm value is comparable to value of Marvel, but valuation is only based on Star Wars alone – other Lucasfilm intellectual properties are in addition to this.
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

|Q|

Sorry if this post is borderline armchair imagineering, but I was thinking about the layout of this much rumored DLP expansion. At first i wasn't too happy about the news of a retheme of the backside of Discoveryland to a Star Wars mini land. Discoveryland is such a cool land, but right now its theme has been quite muddled (and the Star Tours/Captain EO area has always been the weak one). But then occurred to me, since they've seen that attractions updates don't bring big crowds (à la SM:M2), they may realize that for Star Tours II to be a big hit they may be willing to spend a little more and cut the logistical legacy with the old attraction. The way to do so would be making the current Star Tours facade to be only Discoveryland backdrop (maybe developing a better Discoveryland Station), and going the Toontown way putting all this new land beyond the berm. I made some quick notes on a Google Maps screenshot:

The fat red line would be the rerouting of Star Tours queue (through what should be current Captain EO exit lane), the think black line it's the limit of the onstage area of this new land.

This way we could end up having a better Discoveryland (i'm always been pissed that the steam train would stop in the non-steampunk area of the land... such a waste!) and a fully immersive Mos Eisley enviroment (if they have learnt something about fully immersive lands with the Cars Land lesson)

Doing so would look to be much more expensive than retheming only the currents facades, but Tatooine is a desert planet, and Mos Eisley is mostly made of boxy adobe buildings like this:

and right now Star Tours backstage looks like this:

So well, my theory is that Mos Eisley over the berm at DLP could be the less expensive new land EVER.

Hope this post makes sense outside my head

Q

seony141010

Hi

I've just read another post about pizza planet closing to make way for a star wars themed area. Does anyone know if this is happening? If so when.

Thanks everybody
Believe in the magic
Em xx

DLPWonders (Banned)

There's not going to be a Star Wars area for a while.
Stars Tours 2 is coming in 2015, and Space Mountain Mission 3 in 2016.
Contracts have been signed for those two. But nu Star Wars Land for the next couple of years at least.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

seony141010

Believe in the magic
Em xx

spacemountainplatypi

Quote from: DLRPWonders on March 20, 2014, 03:28:43 PM
There's not going to be a Star Wars area for a while.
Stars Tours 2 is coming in 2015, and Space Mountain Mission 3 in 2016.
Contracts have been signed for those two. But nu Star Wars Land for the next couple of years at least.

Is there any proof for those?
"From Time to Time" -Le Visionarium.

Hey, i'm also a D23 Gold Member.... SO THATS FUN!

________Past Trips____________
3 Times in 2001, Twice in 2002, Twice in 2003, Once In 2004, Twice in 2005, Once in 2007, Twice in 2008, 3 times in 2009, Twice in 2010, Twice in 2011, Twice in 2012, Twice in 2013, Once in 2014. February 26-28, 2017.  December 3-6, 2017.

Next Trip: September 2018.

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: spacemountainplatypi on March 21, 2014, 01:27:46 AM

Not for "visitors" to see. I can't give you my source, but trust me that it's a reliable source from within.
It is happening, it's just not officially announced yet. Contracts have been signed not too long ago.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

spacemountainplatypi

Quote from: DLRPWonders on March 21, 2014, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: spacemountainplatypi on March 21, 2014, 01:27:46 AM

Not for "visitors" to see. I can't give you my source, but trust me that it's a reliable source from within.
It is happening, it's just not officially announced yet. Contracts have been signed not too long ago.

Hmm ok, I'm extremely intrigued.
"From Time to Time" -Le Visionarium.

Hey, i'm also a D23 Gold Member.... SO THATS FUN!

________Past Trips____________
3 Times in 2001, Twice in 2002, Twice in 2003, Once In 2004, Twice in 2005, Once in 2007, Twice in 2008, 3 times in 2009, Twice in 2010, Twice in 2011, Twice in 2012, Twice in 2013, Once in 2014. February 26-28, 2017.  December 3-6, 2017.

Next Trip: September 2018.