Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford prefect

Quote from: "dagobert"Unfortunately the link doesn't work.

Sorry, try it again!

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... _mz054.htm
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

dagobert

Thanks for the link, Ford.

It makes you think, that even in 2004 people already complained about the shabby Disney hotels. It took them another seven years to really start refreshing the rooms and these still can't be compared with US Disney hotel rooms. I know that the finacial situation was bad, but I'm not sure if that woman stays again at a Disney hotel.

dagobert

Do you remeber the Swiss company Center-Tainment trying to take over Euro Disney SCA?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spi ... 17,00.html

ed-uk

Maybe bad financial performance equals shabby Disney hotels (although I must say I never found the hotels that bad) that's the challenge for EuroDisney, but in the end they did manage to refresh the hotel rooms. Didn't that turn out to be a joke, a Swiss company trying to take over EuroDisney?
Ed & David

dagobert

Yeah it turned out to be a bad joke, because that company didn't know what they are doing.

For me the hotels were always fine until I stayed at WDW and saw that even the cheapest hotels offered a better quality than Sequoia Lodge. And thanks to my girlfriend's work, we had to stay in many hotels recently and paid a fraction of the money and got a better quality than Sequoia Lodge. I like that hotel a lot, but even the new rooms don't convince me.

ed-uk

I can remember the one occasion when EuroDisney paid dividends to shareholders, which makes me lucky or old, I'll go for the former. But that's what was ment to happen, shareholders getting a return on their investment, not just a shareholders club card, as good as that is and new rides. I look forward to the day the company starts to turn a healthy profit.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Quote from: "ed-uk"Maybe bad financial performance equals shabby Disney hotels (although I must say I never found the hotels that bad) that's the challenge for EuroDisney, but in the end they did manage to refresh the hotel rooms. Didn't that turn out to be a joke, a Swiss company trying to take over EuroDisney?

It was suspected as an attempt at market manipulation, meaning they could have been trying to affect the market price either of shares they owned or wanted to purchase. It was never really about buying our EuroDisney in any way as they probably knew all along, but a spurious press announcement can have significant effects on shares........(allegedly :) )

ford prefect

Quote from: "ed-uk"I can remember the one occasion when EuroDisney paid dividends to shareholders, which makes me lucky or old, I'll go for the former. But that's what was ment to happen, shareholders getting a return on their investment, not just a shareholders club card, as good as that is and new rides. I look forward to the day the company starts to turn a healthy profit.

I don't remember a dividend!  When was that? I have been a member for a long while, but either I am going mad or it happened before I joined!

Can you remember when it was paid?

@dopeydad The Swiss thing was a very strange episode, but I agree, markets are manipulated!

ed-uk

It must of happend before you joined, I think it was about 1991/92. I've been a shareholder since 1989, when the shares were first sold to the public.
Ed & David

ford prefect

Ah, I joined in 1996!

alternativerock123

I missed out going on the new Star Tours right in Cal - so it would be amazing if it was coming here! Even if it isn't "adventures continued" a new story would be nice.

My friends however did go on it in Cal and they said it's pretty awesome.

Fingers Crossed.
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

Columbiad

Looks like Disney and more author Alain Littaye has dome some digging over at DLPI, and confirms that a Star Wars mini land seems to be in development, with rumours of Mos Eisley cantina replacing Pizza Planet and a Jedi Academy-style meet and greet to replace EO.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... yland.html

Whilst I don't think the aesthetic style of Stars Wars fits (nor does it really fit into the theme of Discoveryland at all, it'd be MUCH better in the Studios, but HEY!) it sounds exactly what Discoveryland news to get it back into gear - if they do this, perhaps they'll plus the retro-future style half of the land.

As long as the exterior of Star Tours is plussed to fit in with Space Mountain and The Hyperion Theatre, to fix what I think is a dreadful slash of styles in that wee area, I'd be happy. With Buzz already in there, more Star Wars might just add to the weird diluted, hodgepodge of stories that Discoveryland seems to becoming, so it would have to be done right.

It makes a lot of sense for DLP though.

dagobert

I hope this is true, because I'm really looking forward to the Cantina. And I'm with you, WDI should use the same colour scheme of SM to match the area. Buzz should also get a new colour to match Orbitron and Autopia.

Currently Discoveryland is such a mix of themes. Unfortunatel moving Buzz to WDSP isn't going to happen. It would fit so much better over there. The ride rally ruined the look and theme of the front part of the land.

|Q|

Quote from: "Columbiad"Whilst I don't think the aesthetic style of Stars Wars fits (nor does it really fit into the theme of Discoveryland at all, it'd be MUCH better in the Studios, but HEY!)

Actually old Star Wars Empire/Rebels aesthetics (the one that we have now) doesn't fit, but a more prequel-ish look i think would not clash at all (i'm thinking mostly of Coruscant, but all the tech from that period too). But yeah, having Star Wars at the studios would be perfect.

Q

david

Although I'd be very sad to see Star Tours become Star Tours 2 (I much prefer the traditional miniature model sfx and original trilogy theme) I think this is a fantastic idea that dlp would be silly not to implement. The back of discoveryland has a real problem- it's just dead space. Pizza Planet has absolutely no appeal and it doesn't fit thematically, the 3d cinema needs to find a new purpose and Star Tours (unfortunately) is a bit long in the tooth.

Extending the StarWars theme further up the back of the land is a great idea- and I don't buy the arguments that it wouldnt fit in with the discoveryland theme for one minute:

Discoveryland is about different visions of the future from history: the left hand side and centre was the verne-welles vision, the right hand side (with autopia) is the 1950s vision and at the back it is the modern vision (with StarTours)- that's the concept behind discoveryland and its a concept that Star Wars is, and should be, very much a part of.

Also, having a a new 'land' they can advertise would be a great boon for the resort on a par with Harry Potter Land at universal. They'd be silly not to do it.