The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Started by Anthony, March 12, 2005, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetiteSirene

When I was there in Feb 2006 I saw the concrete tower and my first reaction was, Oh my God they are building the Tower of Terror that is so cool!

We didnt go to the studios that day, but in the back of my mind I was thinking that it would be cool if the Tower was open. I dont think it detracts anything. In Disney World the first thing you see before you even get to the entrance is Cinderellas castle.

I think the Tower adds to the Wow factor of the studios when you first see it.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Javey74

Yes but if you've read the Disney Imagineering book, it goes against all the rules.  

Disney is not supposed to be predictable.  Each story has a start and an end.  You are taken on a journey and only see what you are supposed to see at a certain time, otherwise it spoils the fun.  All of the landscapes are shaped to suit the surroundings, as well as the type of plants used.  Buildings are no different.  Focal points are very important in Disney Parks.

I am aware you can even see SBs Castles on the way to DLRP, but it's quite a distance away and you cannot really make too much detail on it, not much else is visible from this distance.  I'm mainly talking about the view when you are there at the park entrance onwards. :roll:

Japper

At the park entrance you don't see the tower anymore! It's just from that spot were that photo is taken just 20 meters to the entrance and the tower is hidden..

But I understand your point! You can actually see the Rock n Rollercoaster building from the studios entrance and the building from Crush's Coaster

Anthony

Oh no! The 5-year old discussion of the Tower's location rears its ugly again!

In my view, perfect location. Absolutely perfect. The ensemble of Studio 1, ToT, Earffel Tower when you walk towards the Studios is spectacular, they all complement each other so well in size and style. It seems only right to me that the attraction be at the heart of the entire park. Bringing Space Mountain to the heart of Discoveryland is heralded as a fantastic idea, isn't it? So why not Tower of Terror at the heart of WDS?

The location in MGM works because they have two long boulevards leading up to it. In DCA its a true disaster as ToT is plonked onto the parking lot. In TDS is works with the harbour setting, but feels a little too isolated. I quite like the idea of having the destroyed Tower right at the heart of Hollywood, surrounded by newer buildings.

And anyway, if the Imagineers wanted the Tower further away, at the end of a longer boulevard, they'd never have got that kind of budget at DLRP right now.

The only problem I have is with the amount of Hollywood theming around it, but hopefully future years will fix that.

Nicholas-c

i agree with baloo, when you walk out into the main area of the studio's it hits you (and i imagine it will more once the walls are taken down around it :P)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

PetiteSirene

Well said Baloo!

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Javey74

Well each to their own opinion, tell you what I'll run a poll in the poll section.  :wink:

penfold12

Now I apologise in advance, and I know it has been confirmed and written several times, but what is the final story behind the Tower? I thought I read in the end that it was the same story line as the USA, and inturn this was loosening the Themeing of a working studio?

I have read this week on Mice Age that the story is that it is a "set" from an eposode of The Twilight Zone"? If its the later, does this mean that we will get modernday references littered throughout like cheesey clapper boards and lighting rigs?

I just wish we could run with the original storyline. Sorry for asking what has already been confirmed.....

Javey74

Baloo, I didn't realise there was problems about it's location 5 years ago.  So there must be something in it then, if it became a discussional point, judging by your tone.

QuoteOh no! The 5-year old discussion of the Tower's location rears its ugly again!

What was the general jist of it may I ask :?:

Anthony

Quote from: "javey74"What was the general jist of it may I ask :?:
Basically the same worry you posted - many people thinking the centre of the park was a bad position, it needed a boulevard leading up to it, etc. It became this discussion that just dragged on and on, even after construction had started.

You might find some discussions earlier in this topic even.

Quote from: "penfold12"Now I apologise in advance, and I know it has been confirmed and written several times, but what is the final story behind the Tower? I thought I read in the end that it was the same story line as the USA, and inturn this was loosening the Themeing of a working studio?
The story is the same as DCA and MGM as far as I know - you enter a hotel on the dark side of Hollywood to take part in a lost episode of The Twilight Zone. Not sure if ours is meant to be a real hotel though... depends if they want to make Hollywood Studio "a studio in Hollywood", or "a studio based on Hollywood themes". It's a tough question to answer.

Nothing story-wise with the Tower will change though, afaik. No "Action!" shouted by CMs, filming equipment, "backstage" passageways rather than real theming. If anything I heard our ToT would be slightly more lavish inside than DCA.

Javey74

Thanks for that Baloo

I'll try and scout through some earlier posts and see.  I suppose now the thumbs uppers and the thumb downers will see the result and one of them will say "I told you so" or "You win".

The day of judgement is near  :P  :lol:

Anthony

Quote from: "javey74"The day of judgement is near  :P  :lol:
:? It sure is! But in reality, WDS is still a major work in progress. No-one should give a final judgement until the entire Hollywood placemaking project is finished, at least.

I should get paid for supporting this park... :lol:

Winstonio

penfold12

thanks Baloo! I kinda hope we can just run with hotel in a studio aspect and get lost in pure theming not a set. as for the location, kinda would of liked it as a weene at the end of a Blvd. full of thmemed shops. But were it is, it anchors the park. As for the height, whever it is it can be seen on entering the park. Its the same in the US parks

Javey74

LOL
Yes Baloo you are a loyal supporter.  Then again you have to be :P

QuoteI should get paid for supporting this park...

As for that comment, I thought you already did, someone told me your salary was just a couple a pound short of Richard Bransons  :lol:  :lol:

What did they used to call you.......that was it "Billionaire Baloo"  :lol:  :lol:

Still keep up the good work and to be honest I cannot wait for the TOT opening to try it! :D  Roll on 2008  :wink: