The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Started by Anthony, March 12, 2005, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whoknew?

Quote from: "Baloo"California, Tokyo and Paris all share the same basic blueprint of 3 drop shafts (rather than 2 at Florida)

Didn't they always say that ToT is losing popularity/queue length over time? so why did they gave ToT a third shaft?

Quark

To make up for the reduced capacity due to the lack of the fourth dimension room. It is quite a substantial part of the ride that can take at least one other ride vehicle.

From the ouside, as usual, the Tokyo version is the most amazing one. I love Victorian design, although I'm a big fan of Art Deco as well (probably my two most favorite types of architecture, from a Theme Park point of view at least). I would dig up a few pictures, but am too lazy right now. Trust me, Tokyo is amazing and entirely different from all the others.

Looking back at Euro Disney in 1992, THAT would have been our version - unique, special, expensive... Not anymore...

Sigton

Riebi

Yes it´s a amazing building. I like the Tokyo TOT too. But I don´t like the story of it much and i think this wouldn´t fit to the studios.

Also the style of the building wouldn´t fit in a Hollywood ambiance. So I´m happy with the pueplo version. But I like most the floridian version of the building and the ride!!!
And by the way: this is the version for paris of the first planning years :wink:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Quark

I agree that it wouldn't fit into WDS, but it's still an amazing building. And the story isn't too great, I agree with that, too.
In fact, the only ToT that really fits into its surroundings is the one in Orlando, at the end of a street where it might actually be located. I suppose the one in Tokyo is quite nicely located as well, but I don't really know anything about its surroundings.
The one in DCA is out of place, and the one in Paris will be even more so - even if the Hollywood Boulevard suddenly materializes in the middle of a working studio ?!, it will just lead to both being out of place.

And I just wanted to say that there used to be a time when "EuroDisney" got the best of everything - the nicest BTM, longest POTC, scariest Haunted Mansion, best Space Mountain. Then there was the time of cheap clones - HISTA, Rock'n'Roller Coaster/Tram Tour, Buzz. At least the attractions in Toon Studios are somewhat unique - but no comparison to the attractions of the past... Sniff...

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Quark"I agree that it wouldn't fit into WDS, but it's still an amazing building. And the story isn't too great, I agree with that, too.
In fact, the only ToT that really fits into its surroundings is the one in Orlando, at the end of a street where it might actually be located. I suppose the one in Tokyo is quite nicely located as well, but I don't really know anything about its surroundings.
The one in DCA is out of place, and the one in Paris will be even more so - even if the Hollywood Boulevard suddenly materializes in the middle of a working studio ?!, it will just lead to both being out of place.

And I just wanted to say that there used to be a time when "EuroDisney" got the best of everything - the nicest BTM, longest POTC, scariest Haunted Mansion, best Space Mountain. Then there was the time of cheap clones - HISTA, Rock'n'Roller Coaster/Tram Tour, Buzz. At least the attractions in Toon Studios are somewhat unique - but no comparison to the attractions of the past... Sniff...

Sorry Quark, don't fully agree with some of these points.  DCA's tower firs in like the really Hollywood Hotels.  None of the hotels in Hollywood - the Fairmont, the Roosevelt etc. every really had that much in the way of grounds, they were all on the street, like the hotels of London or Paris.  So I don't have a problem with DCA's.  With Paris, if they get the street sets right, I am ok with that also.  Real movie sets, the buildings are close together and change theme.  This is the Studios park and not DLP, so I am ok with that.  It actually enhances the theme of this park.

As for the unique rip offs, for what it's worth I prefer WDS versions of RNRC, the Tram Tour, Animation and Moteurs Action to their counterparts in WDW.  In fact, if we got Muppetvision 3D, the Great Movie Ride, Playhouse Disney, and Fantasmic, with some more themeing and themed table service restaurants, I would actually prefer WDS to Disney MGM Studios in Fla.

And DLP's Buzz is much better than FLA's too (equal to DL and TDL).
since 2001 (many before that)

penfold12

Having just got back from DLRP, I cant get over how well TOT fits into the studios! Its as if it was designed that way lol. Seeing it on photo's I thought it looked ok, but actualy in place it looks really good, and pulls the studio together, making it look so much better

Maarten

Quote from: "penfold12"Its as if it was designed that way lol.

The Studios park was designed with the Tower of Terror in mind.  :wink:

penfold12

I think my sarcasm got lost in translation he he

Maarten

Quote from: "penfold12"I think my sarcasm got lost in translation he he

I guess so. Sorry.  :)

penfold12

Dont be sorry!!! Thats what I love about these boards, so many people from so many places across the world

Anthony

Quote from: "penfold12"Having just got back from DLRP, I cant get over how well TOT fits into the studios! Its as if it was designed that way lol. Seeing it on photo's I thought it looked ok, but actualy in place it looks really good, and pulls the studio together, making it look so much better
Oh absolutely! It just ties the whole place together so well.  And according to that 2008 map, we're definitely getting a "street" hotel...

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/today/2007/03/ ... map-01.jpg

We should spare a little thought for the poor fans of DL and DCA - they got our Tower slapped on the very edge of Hollywood Pictures Backlot.  It looks awful even on the map:

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/ ... a2006.html

I don't think what Quark is saying about attractions declining in quality is really fair.  We have to remember here that this company has a serious amount of debt.

It's sad the 1992 plan didn't continue with Geyser Mountain, a proper Indy and the Fantasyland extras, but right now we should just be glad we're not getting another "A L'envers" or "Mission 2" for once. :wink:

Krollok

I heard the ToT won`t be finished, because they ran out of money.
In the building will only be Toilets and a restaurant. :P

Riebi

I´d liked the Toilets of Terror very much! And I like to sitting on the terrace of terror.  :P

You´re right baloo. It´s very poor for the DLR-Fans cause they have such a beautiful Disneyland Park and a low detailed DCA. (yes a bit similar to us :lol: )

And to built the tower of terror in this poor corner at the end of a tarmac field of DCA....that not really the place for this E-Ticket. It´s real hidden and seems a bit lost.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Sigton

Look what i found!

they have started to make the sign!

Mod note: Please don't post full size images larger than 800px!