Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)

Started by mehdi5, March 02, 2007, 09:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

I hate to be the Bringer of Doom  :twisted: , but no matter who's acting in it or directing it, or how pretty it looks, this film will be rubbish. It was a rubbish film before they even had the idea to make it into a film.

I could spend the rest of the night listing ALL the really bad films that have been based on computer games, but my fingers would start bleeding before I got through them all.

Honestly, sit back and think good and hard. Name a film - based on a computer game - that you would include in your own personal Top 20 films of all time. Either you can't, or you're wrong.

mehdi5

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"I hate to be the Bringer of Doom  :twisted: , but no matter who's acting in it or directing it, or how pretty it looks, this film will be rubbish. It was a rubbish film before they even had the idea to make it into a film.
I think your rushing to a conclusion here, remember, videogamem movies haven't been done on a grand scale like this one, well maybe a few exceptions like Tomb Raider but the story of that game never really won awards. But Disney found a decent director, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire & Donnie Brasco we're good films, so no doubt Mike Newell will do his best on this one, the original writer of the game is also working on it, so that's a plus also. But it's Disney's first videogame adaption, maybe they'll succeed at it, but this movie just is a grander scale if you look at the sets, props of this film than say Doom and other adaptions. So at the moment i got my money on that Disney will succeed with this one :wink:
Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Honestly, sit back and think good and hard. Name a film - based on a computer game - that you would include in your own personal Top 20 films of all time. Either you can't, or you're wrong.
True, there hasn't really been a winning streak for the genre, but remember, most of them we're lower budget, so had lower-budget directors etc, though the Tomb Raider films we're quite good to be honest, but what your saying can apply to a whole lot more movies than just videogame adaptions :wink:

Anthony

I agree video game movies have the tendency to be awful, but so did pirate movies before 2003.

The only bad thing so far is Jake's wig-like hair.

Aveen2008

I think I am the first female to post on this topic.. This film definately would not be something I would want to see.. I'm not sure about what others think, it's definately more of a guys action type movie and unless your a big Jake G fan I don't think it's going to be one to pull in a female audience the way Depp did with POTC - plus it was his comedy role in that, that drew in people as well as his looks lol! :wink:

I could be wrong but I don't see this film being a big success but I wish it all the best.

I have never even heard of it as a video game. :?
Luv Aveen xoxo

-breeno-

Quote from: "Aveen2008"I have never even heard of it as a video game. :?
The PoP games are quite successful.  First one came out 20 years ago.  But Sands of Time (which this movie is based on) was made in 2003 and was the start of a new look PoP.  Take a look here :)

Anyway i'm quite looking forward to this, never played the games but they look good.  Although, i do know that the PoP games are a bit on the violent side, not really Disney, as sick as this sounds i hope they don't cut out the violence just because it's Disney.  If worst comes to worse they could always release it under touchstone or something surely?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

peep

Whoever slates movie adaptations of games should be aware that most of them are made by Uwe Boll, the worst director ever.

I also liked the Tomb Raider films, just a pure action/adventure film with not a lot to think about...perfect.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Anthony

First look at the one-sheet poster!!

(from the quite excellent D23 Twitter http://twitpic.com/b47zw)

The modern typeface instead of a more custom POTC-style logo is completely not what I expected. It works really well on this poster, though! And his hair is looking better too.

Anyone else noticed that the "Disney" logo itself seems to have changed recently?

Pete's Dragon

Followed by a look at Ben Kingsly as the villian

Anthony

Reminds me of the villain from Thunderbirds...

8-[

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Anthony"Reminds me of the villain from Thunderbirds...
 8-[

And that still doesn't fill you with the realisation that this movie will suck ??

Anthony

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"And that still doesn't fill you with the realisation that this movie will suck ??
Please don't tell me you're saying Thunderbirds "sucks". Tut, tut.

The modern logo on the poster is interesting though, I was expecting this soon-to-be-franchise to copy every single step from Pirates.

The Butlin Boy

Something to think about: Will there be the usual tie-in video game if the film itself is based on a video game? :-k  :roll:

-breeno-

The title font is rather strange in my opinion.  Look, heres the title for the videos games;

I can't see why they couldn't of just used that?  The current title makes it look too low budjet for me (does anyone know what the estimated budjet for this?).
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Captain Pan

There is another poster Ant...

here from my Pixar forum...

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"And that still doesn't fill you with the realisation that this movie will suck ??
Please don't tell me you're saying Thunderbirds "sucks". Tut, tut.

I Agree with you there Ant... Although he does look like the Villian form Thundebirds... yet Kinsley did play him in the Live Action Version

Luigi

Jake as the Prince doesn't look so bad on the poster. I'm looking forward to the movie, like already the games a lot.