Horrible horrible smoking!

Started by Sully, December 02, 2011, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinky

I notice quite a few people think cast members should be taking a more active role in stopping smoking away from designated areas. I do agree with this to a point.  

The other day I was waiting for the parade to begin when a woman began smoking right next to me, my friends and a big group of children. We asked her to stop in English, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch, she ignored us. we attempted to call over a cast member who was keeping the parade route clear to sort it out, he obviously ignored us several times so my friend went over and spoke to him directly.
He came over and asked the woman to put out her cigarette and offered her the option of going to a smoking area, she then replied that she was almost done. the cast member shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

This is an example of a cast member really not doing his job correctly, so this is where I completely agree that cast members need to do more.

On the other hand though, I've been at work and when I asked a guest if they could smoke in the designated smoking area just across from where they were sitting), they stubbed their cigarette out on my shoe and began screaming in my face. So I can see why cast members avoid enforcing this.

Unfortunately its yet another thing Disney really needs to change from the core, which is why I'd urge you to get in contact with Disney, send them your opinions if you don't like the smoking situation.
Both Guests and Castmembers want a change!

greenkai3000

Yes, there's a huge different between a few , and a whole bunch of us contacting the resort about this problem.  Come on y'all!   Who all has emailed Guest Relations, and what kind of reply did they get?
WDW Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007,  Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010.

Disneyland Paradise Pier Hotel October 2011

Disneyland Paris   Disneyland Hotel June 2012  

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I do wonder what the solution is, because as has already been mentioned, and I've seen for myself in the past, people can get very aggressive when asked to stop smoking. Do they need to employ a special unit to deal with it? Standard CMs may not be enough as people don't seem to take any notice of them and they themselves probably don't want to out themselves in a situation where they may get abused. Seeing a security force around the park would kill the magic somewhat. maybe more signs and announcements would help. Maybe a message when  you book a holiday and a statement in every brochure and confirmation letter.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

gldc

Signs around the resort would work and they could even be themed to each land.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Josh

Quote from: "gldc"Signs around the resort would work and they could even be themed to each land.
Yes, definitely themed ones! Not those generic French-only signs they have everywhere that make no difference.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Anthony

Quote from: "Josh"
Quote from: "gldc"Signs around the resort would work and they could even be themed to each land.
Yes, definitely themed ones! Not those generic French-only signs they have everywhere that make no difference.
I think those ones might be a requirement under French law, whenever you enter a covered or indoor space? The trouble is, people would probably ignore themed signs because they don't stand out enough.

I still vote for verbal warnings, announcements joined onto the 10-minute warnings for shows and parades, not just visual ones. You can't get more visible than an announcement in front of the daily parade. They could also have it at park opening "Welcome to Disneyland Park, please walk to your first destination and note that smoking is allowed only in specific areas." Speakers fitted above the park turnstiles (those ones you can only hear from a certain distance/angle) could play the same words on a loop, in different languages, with large, clear signs above each gate stating "you are entering a no-smoking park, please consult your park map for further details".

Really, no Cast Member at the moment can be blamed for not daring to stop people smoking. There are things that need to be put in place first from higher up...

Javey74

I must admit on my last trip the majority of smokers I saw were Italian.  :shock:

For every French or British smoker I saw there were 6 Italian smokers. As far as I'm concerned it's a pity they couldn't get there hands on a scanner like in the airports to pick up boxes of cigarettes people have on them..  :roll:

Then if found they could be locked away somehow in locker type devices to be retrieved on the way out..  ;)

gldc

Turns out they're on this!

The new meet  mickey mouse attraction has this sign:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 1105_n.jpg

Admittedly it should be multi-lingual but there is a fine of 68 euros if caught apparently.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Mrstooley

I agree! Im an ex smoker and it annoys me specially when u see fag butts on the floor (spoils the Disney vibe)

I was heavly pregnant at one of my trips to Disney and got smoke blown in my face in a line, I did have a right go at her but there was also young children, it's  disgusting!
They should have certain areas you smoke, and deaf not in areas you are waiting for a ride, show etc

Going in June it's my 2.5 year old and they better not smoke in her face I will go mad!

Thaliel

Seconding the annoying smokers argument. My sister, who comes with me and my mum to DLP every time we go, is suffering from Cystic Fibrosis, so having smoke blown into her direction will literally suffocate her. Anytime we had found a shady place (it was really hot from Wednesday until Friday when we left) someone started smoking and we had to leave. But what annoys us even more is seeing people holding their kids on one hand, and a cigarette in the other. Or bending over a stroller with a newborn (or at least toddler) in it whole still in- and exhaling the smoke.
I wish the cast members you often seen going around with brooms and garbage collecting devices (no idea what esactly those are called) would adress any smoker they see smoking outside of the designated smoking areas, as I am sure they are pretty annoyed by having to remove all the cigarette stumps from the floor. Just a friendly "excuse me, but you are not allowed to smoke here" would be enugh.
<-Plz click

Peachtree

It's pure selfishness! If you cannot wait a few hours (or in some cases a few minutes) to light up then don't come to a place that is mainly full of children!! If someone lights up near me I have great pleasure in telling them where to shove it as I don't want my son or I to a) stink of disgusting smoke b) choke our way to a ride and c) get cancer from second hand smoke.
Sorry but this kind of thing really makes me angry. And the fact that smokers get angry with people telling them to keep it away from them is diabolical! It's their choice to smoke a cancer stick, not ours, why should we suffer just because they want to suck on nicotine !!
It's probably one of the most selfish things a person can do.  And I agree with someone above who said about people with a child in one hand and a ciggie in the other.  Makes me sick. You would think they would have enough respect for their own children even if they don't for the rest of us.
Rant over
:-)

Samx57

I am a smoker and on my last trip in November i tried to go to places where there were no children or familys or anyone for that matter near to us when smoking.

The problem was people with their kids would come and sit right next to me i didnt understand it.

But i would not smoke in a queue line as i dont like it when people do smoke in queues and i smoke myself..

I guess some people just dont understand things very well

petals

smoking is a filthy, disgusting, dirty habit and it should be banned in parks like Disney. I've been to wdw 5 times and never seen anyone smoking. I think they have areas people are allowed smoke but I don't think even when we first went and my father smoked at the time I don't think he used them. I think he did without until we left the parks.

Lorum

Don't you see? This year we all are complaining about guests' behaviour in the parks. Climbing, smoking, shouting... What is happening? What do you think?
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

Sparkchild

Quote from: "Lorum"Don't you see? This year we all are complaining about guests' behaviour in the parks. Climbing, smoking, shouting... What is happening? What do you think?

I find this very interesting. As an American, I have been to WDW, Disneyland California, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Universal, etc. and I have never had to deal with smokers in non-designated areas, line jumpers, or people trampling flower beds to see a fireworks show. Yes, you do get the occasional kid pushing to the front of a crowd to see a parade, but that is minor.  I think the kind of things that everyone is complaining about are rare in American theme parks, so why is an issue at DLRP? And no, I don't think claiming a "cultural difference" is acceptable. I think it always comes down to the Cast Members. If they make themselves aware of their surroundings and when they see an infraction, politely ask the person to stop, this is all it takes. From what everyone has been saying, the Cast Members are ignoring the problems. And with the lack of no smoking signs and announcements, it sounds like management isn't concerned with it. Could this have something to do with the fact that the Walt Disney Company doesn't own the majority share in DLRP? That they cannot enforce the Disney Standards they use in the US parks to DLRP? I will be at DLRP in 19 days, I will be interested in seeing everything for myself.