20th Anniversary (1st April 2012 - March 2013)

Started by JelleP, May 09, 2011, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Alan"I'm not saying that an average person would think the advert was real. But, they could think the advert was real.

Anyone who expects the advert to be real would be no use to Disney. They'd probably be in some sort of institution and have no access to money. Disney needs people who understand the difference between cartoons and reality, with jobs and disposable incomes.

amanda08

Sorry for butting in as I have nothing constructive to add - but hahahahahhah, no other thread has made me laugh so much  :D !

Lorum

I think you're not understanding what Alan says.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

dagobert

Quote from: "DutchBrit"I live in the Netherlands. But I'm from the UK.

I'm sorry, judging from your board name, I assumed that you are from the Netherlands.

QuoteDoes anyone really not know what to expect of Disneyland? Really? I'm pretty sure that most people in the entire world know that "Disneyland" is a theme park with Disney characters and that there are several of them. If you are interested in Disney, then you are probably going to consider going to one of the parks at some point, and if you see an advert with Disney characters saying there is some sort of special event in the European park, then you may decide that this is the time to go. And so the advert's work here is done.

Then you should come here or take a look on German boards. You will be surprised. Even other German members here pointed that out several times. Dsneyland is a family park, but so many think it's just a fairground for kids. I have to admit that the tourism here is different. More people tend to go on beach holidays or city trips than to themeparks.

You have said it in your post: When you are interested in Disney then you will probably visit one of the Disney parks. But there are people who are not interested in Disney at all, like many friends of ours. I'm not sure if they would be attracted by that advert. Since the spot will not be shown here, they will definitely not be attracted. However after we showed them what the park offers, they booked a trip.

All I want to say is that I'm not sure if a single spot is going to work for whole Europe. Other companies launch different adverts for the same product in different countries. Maybe because of cultural differencies.

I do understand that it is necessary to promote new things, the new spot is doing that, but why not have another spot that shows the resort in general, especially in countries where people don't know a lot about Disney. I'm thinking of the new European Union countries. One day Disney needs them to increase attendance.

Disney relies on costumers like every other company, even on costumers who are not interested in Disney in the first place. A trip to Disneyland could change that and so TWDC should also have an interest in ED SCA advertising the resort to other people as well.

ed-uk

I'm not really understaning what Alan is saying, except he thinks Disney should have made a different advert with real footage from  Dreams, and not use some cartoon characters. If people don't know much about  Disney and haven't got a clue about the parks, as in Germany then maybe Disney would have to come up with a different advert?  But for the English market I think people will get it.
Ed & David

Pizzaplanet

@Dagobert:

I'm from Germany and you are right with what you are saying. Her in Germany there are no commercials about Disneyland Paris and many people do really think that Disneyland closed in the 90s. Germans know Disney World and that's it. Disneyland and Disney World is the same for many.

I like the new spot, but if it would bring more people to the resort, I don't know. Disney fans for sure, but the average German, I'm not sure. I showed the clip to my children and they were not impressed, but they already knew that we are returning in summer.

Another problem is the price. It's too expensive for many Germans compared to a beach trip. There are hardly any offers, too, but we usually book via the websites in other countries or stay in third party hotels. I'm looking forward to the renovated rooms, because the quality was very low last year.

DutchBrit

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm sorry, judging from your board name, I assumed that you are from the Netherlands.

No problem. Although the "Brit" part might of given it away a bit.

QuoteThen you should come here or take a look on German boards. You will be surprised. Even other German members here pointed that out several times. Dsneyland is a family park, but so many think it's just a fairground for kids. I have to admit that the tourism here is different. More people tend to go on beach holidays or city trips than to themeparks.

So the German market is a) not interested enough in Disney related stuff to know that there are theme parks based on it and b) not really into theme parks. Hmmmm. The words "waste of marketing budget" are kind of springing to mind....

QuoteBut there are people who are not interested in Disney at all, like many friends of ours. I'm not sure if they would be attracted by that advert. Since the spot will not be shown here, they will definitely not be attracted. However after we showed them what the park offers, they booked a trip.

Aaaand we're back! I'm sorry, but I still think that if people aren't into Disney in any way, then it is pretty pointless trying to get them to Disneyland. It might work with word-of-mouth recommendations, and some of them may indeed enjoy themselves once they are there, but directing advertising at them is just throwing money away. You'll never get a good enough return.

ed-uk

I don't know what it is about DLP and the Germans? They know about WDW and Disneyland, but they think Disneyland Paris is closed apparently. Does WDW have commercials in Germany?
Ed & David

dagobert

Quote from: "DutchBrit"No problem. Although the "Brit" part might of given it away a bit.

Yeah, that makes sense, but I thought Brit is short for Brittany or something like that  :) .

QuoteSo the German market is a) not interested enough in Disney related stuff to know that there are theme parks based on it and b) not really into theme parks. Hmmmm. The words "waste of marketing budget" are kind of springing to mind....

Aaaand we're back! I'm sorry, but I still think that if people aren't into Disney in any way, then it is pretty pointless trying to get them to Disneyland. It might work with word-of-mouth recommendations, and some of them may indeed enjoy themselves once they are there, but directing advertising at them is just throwing money away. You'll never get a good enough return.

I don't know anything about how to advertise a product. I just thought more advertising would generate more interest and so more visitors. Of course you can see it the other way round. Low attendance means low interest which doesn't justify more money for advertising.

That's a very interesting topic and it seems you know a lot about such things. Are you working in that field? For me it's interesting that Disney isn't showing any adverts here. I mean Disney movies are always doing very well and the Disney comics are still very popular in the German speaking market. So I guess there is interest in Disney. Germans are also interested in themeparks, at least judging from all the parks they have. Otherwise Europa Park wouldn't be the second most popular park in Europe. Maybe the competition with the German parks is too strong.

As I said I don't know how to advertise, I just see the economic power the Germans have and since they like to travel a lot and spend a lot of many when on vacation, I assumed they would be a target for Disney. As far as I know TWDC Germany is responsible for advertising the Disney parks in the DACH (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) market and not ED SCA.  Maybe that's why DLP is hardly advertised here. You get more infos about WDW and DCL than about DLRP.

ed-uk

Disneyland Paris is Europes most popular tourist attraction, and somehow that news hasn't reached Germany.
Ed & David

Josh

Quote from: "Alan"- Did you see that new advert for Disneyland Paris on TV last night?
- Yeah, all the stuff they're doing this year looks unbelievable.
- I know. Did you see that they're actually going to have Crush flying over your head on Main Street?
- Yeah, it's amazing what they can do with holograms these days.
- Yeah. I can't wait to see it in person. I'm going to book.
I doubt they'll think that. :) They won't think it has anything to do with a show involving fountains and projections. They'll just think it's general scenes where characters are calling people to the park. The problem is that it's not obvious that the show refers to Dreams unless you know about it beforehand.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DopeyDad

Quote from: "amanda08"Sorry for butting in as I have nothing constructive to add - but hahahahahhah, no other thread has made me laugh so much  :D !

:D

sorry, got to laugh too
there's 3 or 4 perennial debates going on here, and where's Alan got to after causing such a stir? :-"

ulak

In Czech Republic (heart of Europe) is absolutly NOTHING about Disneyland Paris. No good offers on official website, no commercial in TV, newspaper or radio - NOTHING! When you talk with people - he says  - "Ha, ha, ha - only for child, stupid cartoon park. Not for all my money!"

And when i  showed this commercial, he says : "this thing will be flying over us?"... :/
[size=85](sorry for my bad english, thank You!)[/size]

CafeFantasia

I'm still here. I didn't mean to spark such a heated debate. I was basically just having a rant about Disney's advertising, which I think sucks.

My point is, if they've spent €50, €100, €150 million building something, then surely the end product is great enough that, in order to sell it, all they need to do is show it.

Have you seen that short film by Drea Cooper called The Imagineer? It proves that you need to add any additional special effects or animation to make Disneyland seem attractive. Disneyland already has all the magic you could ever need built into it. All you need to do is show it, exactly the way it really is:

http://vimeo.com/24368336

ed-uk

There's nothing wrong with a heated debate, it keeps the forum ticking over. What you want is footage to advertise the park as it is, but the point of 20th commercial is to advertise a special event rather than land or ride.
Ed & David