20th Anniversary (1st April 2012 - March 2013)

Started by JelleP, May 09, 2011, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

Isn't Dreams a special event? I mean, I know it's a show, but it's definitely something special to celebrate the 20th.

ed-uk

Yes, Dreams is a show, but the thrust of the advert is about going to DLP and celebrating their 20th birthday, with a new parade and new show. The advert doesn't focus on  Dreams, although you may think it should.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

oh, don't get me wrong, no one loves a good debate (heated or otherwise) than me, part of being a psychy nurse is you're never afraid to hear what someone might say. To comment about the adverts, I assumed you were being a little tinkerish to suggest people might take it literally and I agree with your general point about DLP advertising. It always seems odd to anyone who knows the park and loves it for it's  sense of place that adverts never seem to try to capture that. Generic swirls of happy faces and colour and a few buzz words (pun intended).
What if instead they used some real footage showing how lovely our castle is, or some of the 'tilt-shift video they've shot to give a sense of the parks scale, or even on-board footage from BTM or ToT.
I'd love to hear an advertising exec types view personally, I assume there's some kind of logic somewhere  :^o

DutchBrit

Quote from: "dagobert"That's a very interesting topic and it seems you know a lot about such things. Are you working in that field?

Not really: I'm in Communications rather than Marketing, but there are links. You have your target and you direct to the target in the way you have reason to believe will work best. You don't waste time (which equals money) on non-targets.

QuoteFor me it's interesting that Disney isn't showing any adverts here. I mean Disney movies are always doing very well and the Disney comics are still very popular in the German speaking market. So I guess there is interest in Disney. Germans are also interested in themeparks, at least judging from all the parks they have. Otherwise Europa Park wouldn't be the second most popular park in Europe. Maybe the competition with the German parks is too strong.

But as you said earlier than most Germans think Disneyland Paris no longer exists and they are more inclined to beach holidays. So they might like theme parks, but one can be forgiven for thinking that they are not willing to go to Paris to go to another one. Or perhaps the Germans don't really like going to France full stop? Or perhaps it's the French who are not all that keen on having them come...?

QuoteAs far as I know TWDC Germany is responsible for advertising the Disney parks in the DACH (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) market and not ED SCA.  Maybe that's why DLP is hardly advertised here. You get more infos about WDW and DCL than about DLRP.

Well then, there you have it. European advertising isn't directed at Germany because Germany isn't in their patch. There will be a reason for it somewhere.

CafeFantasia

Yes, I think the advert should focus on Dreams. I mean, it seems like every year Disneyland Paris has a new parade and a new celebration. That's business as usual. But how often does the park get a new fountain show? Never. So they should really focus on Dreams because, in my opinion, that's the truly unique thing that's opening/starting this year.

DopeyDad

Hopefully, once testing starts with all the elements in place, they'll have some video to use in further advertising.

DopeyDad

Actually that reminds me, I at least prefer this type of ad to using shots of WoC, which really is misleading as it's video footage, but of a whole other park and show!

aliscrapper

Quote from: "Alan"Yes, I think the advert should focus on Dreams. I mean, it seems like every year Disneyland Paris has a new parade and a new celebration. That's business as usual. But how often does the park get a new fountain show? Never. So they should really focus on Dreams because, in my opinion, that's the truly unique thing that's opening/starting this year.

Couldn't agree with you more! :thumbs:

Lorum

Gemany was the third in the priorities' list of DLP until 2007. Now, it's Spain.

You just have to listen parade announcements. Disney's Once Upon A Dream opening spiel was recorded in French, English and German. So if germans has forgotten Disneyland Paris, that would be from 2007 on. The latest announcements recordings are in bad Spanish as the third language.

We don't say "Ladies and gentlemen, and you the children" ("Señoras y señores, y vosotros los niños"), we say "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls" ("Señoras y señores, niños y niñas").
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

Robert97

YouTube now has an advert displaying the Disney 20th Anniversary.

GrantR

That's just a general advert for the internet :) Google gathered the information that you like Disneyland, so shows you the ad. Nevertheless, it's pretty eye catching and nice and simple. :D

gldc

Quote from: "Lorum"Gemany was the third in the priorities' list of DLP until 2007. Now, it's Spain.

You just have to listen parade announcements. Disney's Once Upon A Dream opening spiel was recorded in French, English and German. So if germans has forgotten Disneyland Paris, that would be from 2007 on. The latest announcements recordings are in bad Spanish as the third language.

We don't say "Ladies and gentlemen, and you the children" ("Señoras y señores, y vosotros los niños"), we say "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls" ("Señoras y señores, niños y niñas").

In the same way that we don't say "and you the children" in english either, I think it's an attempt to: 1. use the french expression (et vous les enfants) and 2. emphasising that the kids are not just there with their parents but are in fact separate and the show is for them.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Lorum

Yes, but you have a good announcement, written correctly.

Quote from: "gldc"In the same way that we don't say "and you the children" in english either, I think it's an attempt to: 1. use the french expression (et vous les enfants) and 2. emphasising that the kids are not just there with their parents but are in fact separate and the show is for them.

This is a French idiosyncrasy. In spite of having a 20 years old Disney park, their thoughts have not evolved in the last years. They think a Disney park is just for children, and it isn't. They think the shows are for children and they aren't. This is why the DLP stage shows are so bored. The characters making stupid things and movements.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

dagobert

Quote from: "Lorum"This is a French idiosyncrasy. In spite of having a 20 years old Disney park, their thoughts have not evolved in the last years. They think a Disney park is just for children, and it isn't. They think the shows are for children and they aren't. This is why the DLP stage shows are so bored. The characters making stupid things and movements.

So true! The shows at DLRP are so boring and I'm so glad that the ugly Central Plaza Stage was removed, So no stupid shows there anymore. However the shows in front of the castle at WDW were also boring, but the big stage shows at WDW are really good. I would even say that Finding Nemo is nearly a Broadway Show. Tarzan at DLRP isn't bad either, but DLP needs another good stage show.

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Lorum"They think a Disney park is just for children, and it isn't. They think the shows are for children and they aren't.

Or perhaps they are, and it's you that has it wrong...

Disney might not be "just" for children, but it's not unreasonable to consider them as the primary audience. I think that's what most people would think, not just those running DLP.