Disney Dreams! — Nighttime Spectacular

Started by Festival Disney, April 14, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Anthony"The three performances I saw at 10.30pm on the 31st and 9.30pm and 10.30pm on the 1st April were all identical.

I don't suppose anyone thought any different for opening weekend.

QuoteThis is the show. It's incredible. It's on every night. Just try to believe it! :mrgreen:

I can believe it more or less for now until the end of the summer season. But low season after that? Still a bit doubtful.

Anthony

Quote from: "PirateSteve"How did it live up to your expectations Anthony? It far exceeded mine and I can't wait to see it live next month. I'm not sure I've ever seen something introduced to DLP that has had universal praise like Dreams. Just from the video footage alone it looks absolutely sensational. My 3 (almost 4) year old son was captivated for the whole video. The fact that he's bonkers about Peter Pan didn't hurt.
Oh, completely exceeded them. I had somewhat low expectations of the fountains - expected them to be just a small element and was downplaying them in my mind, but they're used fantastically in the show. And not just throwing water up for the sake of it, really well synchronised to the action. "Kick your knees up" and they kick water up into the air, for example. I love Peter Pan too, and it helps that they seem to have mined by brain for my favourite Disney songs/films: Out There, Jungle Book, Friend Like Me, I See The Light. Even the Friends On The Other Side segment, using a less-known villain song, is made stunning and unique with the mechanical projections.

What I like most is that, every single night of the year at 10.30pm (or whenever), I can think back to the show and know that the Second Star to the Right is shining there above the castle, and another audience of 15,000+ people are going to be taken on this incredible journey...

And even though I should encourage people to watch my video, I really have to emphasise: it's even better, far better, in reality. Seeing the crisp glow of the star and the beautiful clear projections. It's such a gorgeous, precise piece of art (it IS art), that no camera will ever pick it up properly. You have to see it with your own eyes.

Quite possibly the greatest thing Disneyland Paris has done since 1992.

Is that enough hyperbole? I'll fit in even more when I write the DLRP Today review. :P Minor faults: the animation of Quasimodo and Shadow not being as fluid as it could be, the odd Rémy scene that goes nowhere. Surely that one is the first candidate for replacement. Or am I being greedy expecting each scene to be huge?

Quote from: "DutchBrit"I can believe it more or less for now until the end of the summer season. But low season after that? Still a bit doubtful.
But where's this doubt coming from? It seems completely unfounded. Yes it "looks" like an expensive show, if that's why you think it's going to be cut back, but don't forget we have no shows at Fantasy Festival Stage, no Legend of the Lion King, no Central Plaza daytime shows and probably no new attractions (unless we count Meet Mickey) until 2014. The pyrotechnics aren't that huge, and effects like the fire are probably no more expensive than running Catastrophe Canyon constantly through the day.

One major selling point of Dreams to a DLP executive was probably that it's going to really make it so much more worthwhile actually staying in a Disney hotel, right at the park gates. No-one is going to want to miss the main event of the day, but equally you're not going to want to take a train back into Paris or have a long drive home after the show.

It's going to really encourage full-day, overnight stays and probably bring in a lot more money through that. It evens out the whole annual calendar of the resort, which used to have ups and downs for high/low season, and will begin to fill up capacity in previously low season periods. This was particularly telling when Steve Davison explained who approached him for a nighttime spectacular here: marketing.

CafeFantasia

It could be that Disneyland Paris have already paid (or put aside) the money to perform Dreams! every night for the next 2 years. You know, instead of upgrading Pirates of the Caribbean or adding Star Tours 2, they used their money to get Dreams! designed, installed and performed daily. So what I mean is, it's probably not something they have to worry about for now, because they've already taken care of it.

Tigerlilly

Quote from: "Alan"It could be that Disneyland Paris have already paid (or put aside) the money to perform Dreams! every night for the next 2 years. You know, instead of upgrading Pirates of the Caribbean or adding Star Tours 2, they used their money to get Dreams! designed, installed and performed daily. So what I mean is, it's probably not something they have to worry about for now, because they've already taken care of it.

They would have budgeted for it for the next financial year. They'd have sat down, figured out how much it was going to cost them to run it for the year and worked out what they can afford. This year the cast majority of the cost will be in the infrastructure through installing the fountains and the projectors etc, running the show is going to cost a fraction of that.

They'll want to get their money's worth out of it and they're not going to do that with all of it switched off, if there is any cutting it'll be in future years. This year will be budgeted for.
and straight on till morning.

15MagicalYears

Diverting away from panic and worrying: As much as I absolutely adore this show, and think the list of musical numbers and characters are perfect, I do miss the presence of The Lion King and The Little Mermaid. Can you imagine those scenes? It'd be flawless to me. As Steve said though, scenes can be added and removed fairly easily - so who knows what new scenes we'll see over the next few years.

DisneyFanB

I believe The Lion King was first in Dreams, they even tested it on the castle , so that material should already be there.
With all the information overload in the last few weeks I remember reading about that, but not 100% sure of it.
And yes The Little Mermaid would be so nice!

littlemermaid83

I wanted the Little mermaid too, that would of been a epic scene.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

CafeFantasia

Perhaps they omitted certain songs from Disney Dreams so that, if Mickey's PhilharMagic eventually comes to Paris, there won't be as much repetition? The songs used in Mickey's PhilharMagic are:

• Be Our Guest
• The Sorcerer's Apprentice
• Part Of Your World
• I Just Can't Wait To Be King
• You Can Fly
• A Whole New World

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "Alan"Perhaps they omitted certain songs from Disney Dreams so that, if Mickey's PhilharMagic eventually comes to Paris, there won't be as much repetition?

That's an odd way to think of it, but who knows. It'd also be pretty cool to see The Stampede in the Villains section. I'm thinking Scar throwing Shadow off the Castle balcony, where down below he's now being chased by wildebeests.

Also I'm looking forward to the possibility of Seasonal overlays. Halloween could change the name to "Disney Nightmares", showing Shadow travel through the different world of Disney Villains. Although that does sound slightly terrifying rather than a kiss goodnight  :lol: .

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"Also I'm looking forward to the possibility of Seasonal overlays. Halloween could change the name to "Disney Nightmares", showing Shadow travel through the different world of Disney Villains. Although that does sound slightly terrifying rather than a kiss goodnight  :lol: .

Disney Nightmares LOL!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

gldc

So where is the best place to stand once we're there in central plaza? Right in the middle?
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Lorum

Wow! Great name 15MagicalYears! Disney Nightmares would be a great title.

I think the best place is just before entering Central Plaza.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

Josh

Quote from: "benjylovesu2"Hey guys, I am taking my theatre group next april to perform at disney in the magic music days. Just wondering do u reckon dreams will still be on for the 21st year. I really hope so as this will be the first time i get to see it.

Many thanks

Ben xxxx The show looks amazing i well up everytime lol
Yes, the show will be there for years to come -- maybe even decades!

Quote from: "Auroura86"Again, that would be a genuine reason.  I've been to WDW when Fantasmic was cancelled twice. Once because one of the projectors, and some of the fireworks didn't work, and the other time was due to a severe thunderstorm.
I think it's awesome, though, that -- with Fantasmic -- they have a "rain" version of the show, where there's no actors but they still use the fountains and pyrotechnics in a style similar to World of Colour.

Quote from: "Anthony"One major selling point of Dreams to a DLP executive was probably that it's going to really make it so much more worthwhile actually staying in a Disney hotel, right at the park gates. No-one is going to want to miss the main event of the day, but equally you're not going to want to take a train back into Paris or have a long drive home after the show.

It's going to really encourage full-day, overnight stays and probably bring in a lot more money through that. It evens out the whole annual calendar of the resort, which used to have ups and downs for high/low season, and will begin to fill up capacity in previously low season periods. This was particularly telling when Steve Davison explained who approached him for a nighttime spectacular here: marketing.
That's a really good point. It'll be interesting to see the long-term effects that Dreams has in the next five years.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

Quote from: "Anthony"Is that enough hyperbole? I'll fit in even more when I write the DLRP Today review. :P

I think hyperbole takes a back seat to fact when spewing out superlatives to describe Dreams, and that's coming from someone who has just seen it on video, to hear it from you too, having seen it live, is the ringing endorsement we all needed.

It's great to know that such a spectacular show can change and evolve and I can understand them not putting all the headline films in at first. Lion King will be a great addition down the line when they decide it's time for a change. If they put all the big favourites in from the beginning the only way is down.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

Malin

QuoteWhere has this idea that its not year round and every night come from? Is there a source or are we assuming things here?

I think its based on the assumption that its not been officially announced by Disneyland Paris that this is going to be a nightly show for the park. Only by unofficial sources. I think its fair and quite valid for people to assume the worst from a Disney Resort that very often scales back its entertainment offerings during the off season. And why entertainment like Fantaillusion is only performed in Summer and Christmas.

I can also accept why people are concern about the show being scaled back in the future. Cutbacks are something we see all the time at Disneyland Paris. Its usually only small details but these are still noticiable by the fans. Its a pratice that WDW uses often too. And where Disney CEO Philippe Gas did spend several years. He still hasn't convinced me yet he's the right man for the job. Especially after my last visit where the Disneyland park was only open until 6:00 pm in September. And wear and tear was evident everywhere. Is the Peter Pan queue still full of gaffiti?

Moving away from the negative's I am encourage to read Anthony's thoughts on the show. And I really am very excited to be checking it out next month. And visiting a park which I'm expecting to be looking wonderful and beautiful for its 20th Anniversary.