Phantom Manor Update?

Started by pfspock, February 04, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsPirate

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"
Quote from: "Patrick89"Do you know more about that fact (and want to tell it to us ;)) ? Always fascinating how complex the PM story is, even if it's a great pity that parts of the mansion like the carriage house weren't realized or that Boot Hill is smaller than planned...If I were a billionair, I would sponsor these updates ;)

I do know a little more but it would probably be a little too in-depth for this topic. I'll try to take some time to write it up and post it somewhere; I'll let you know.

Please, I'd be interested too.

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

DGRavenswood

As requested...

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Phantom Manor, here's the original story of the Ravenswood family in detail, courtesy of Jeff Burke who was so kind to share it.

The Other Legend of Phantom Manor

It's intriguing to speculate how the attraction would have turned out if all the original elements had been left in place.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

MrsPirate

The detail behind this attraction never fails to amaze me. If the ride was updated it would be nice if some elements of this story were introduced.

Thank you for sharing  =D>

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

DGRavenswood

I agree, though I hope they wouldn't change too much in the process.

Fun that Tony Baxter would share "his" version of the Phantom Manor story just a few hours after I posted this... and that it has little to do with the official version. :)
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Josh

Yeah. It was quite interesting when I heard it, while I was there. I've always related the story to Great Expectations, but only loosely. It never seemed like the bride was throwing her boucay at the end.

(Speaking of which, the ghosts in the mirrors weren't working. :( )
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DGRavenswood

Well, like he said, it was one possible interpretation. There are definitely hundreds of individual versions of the story and I wouldn't dismiss any of them... The Imagineers intentionally left a lot open for interpretation.

However, as someone who has spent ages trying to track down the original storyline which served as a sort of "foundation" to the ride's creation, I was very lucky to have had the chance to ask the Imagineer who came up with it.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Josh

Yeah, it's really amazing that you managed to get it! I wasn't aware that Henry had a brother. Also, it's now confirmed that Henry is the phantom. But I guess the rest is up to our own interpretation; like what actually happens in the house during the ride. Maybe the house just became haunted, after the groom was hanged, and Melody has been trapped in the house with ghosts, until her death. So I can understand Tony Baxter's interpretation.

We went on the guided tour of the park yesterday, and the guide was telling us about the story of Phantom Manor. It was mostly what you mentioned on your site, but it was interesting to actually hear it from a cast member.

I remember Tony was talking -- in the presentation -- about having dialogues from Vincent Price played during the ride (if I heard him correctly). It would be good if the doombuggies got updated and we could choose if we wanted either a French or English narration.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Josh"I remember Tony was talking -- in the presentation -- about having dialogues from Vincent Price played during the ride (if I heard him correctly). It would be good if the doombuggies got updated and we could choose if we wanted either a French or English narration.

Actually, there was never any dialogue recorded for the ride itself. The spiel Vincent Price did was a slightly extended version of the current French narration. He recorded it in French and English... His accent was deemed too strong on the French version and the English one was rejected by DLP staff. So in the end they recorded a slightly shorter version with a French actor and voice artist who had dubbed Vincent Price in the past.

Tony also misremembered that Vincent Price recorded a scream for the stretch room finale... he rather did all the Phantom's laughter as Osvaldo correctly noted in his French translation.

As for Henry Ravenswood's brother, like I wrote, he ended up on the "cutting room floor" so Henry was promoted to sole owner of Big Thunder and Phantom Manor.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Simba 27

In these days there is a lot of talks about bringing back Vincent Price's narrations. It would change only the Foyer and Stretch Room voices, from French to English, right?

Past trips:
Disneyland Paris: 2001-2005-2007

Disneyland California: 2006

DGRavenswood

It would concern the foyer, the stretch room and the portrait gallery. Possibly the load area as well, as the original narration was slightly longer. Vincent Price recorded the spiel both in English and in French so it would have to be seen which one would be used.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

15MagicalYears

Does anyone know that actual chances of the change happening? I'd absolutely love if it did. Phantom Manor isn't quite as creepy when you don't understand what's being said.

Columbiad

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"Vincent Price recorded the spiel both in English and in French so it would have to be seen which one would be used.

They could even use both, or cut them together, if the Suits didn't want the ride entirely in English.

Was there a precise reason for the Officials wanting the ride entirely in French? They didn't seem to insist it with any other attractions. Peter Pan for example, which is all in English (I think, correct me if I'm wrong.)

DGRavenswood

Well, Phantom Manor is partially in English... Madam Leota and the Little Bride alternate both languages, as do the safety spiels. The Mayor has all-English dialogue.

Apart from the safety spiels, Peter Pan is completely in French, actually.

I think the general rule was for French to be the dominant language in narration and dialogue, the park being in France. While alternating both languages would have been possible it wouldn't necessarily have been very natural. A switch as in Tower of Terror would be a solution but I wonder how often they actually use it over there...
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Josh

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"A switch as in Tower of Terror would be a solution but I wonder how often they actually use it over there...
I got mixed up once. I thought it was the PM that had the French/English switch. I was quite embarrassed when the cast member said, "It's only in French. Sorry." XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Patrick89

I think an English version would be very useful. When I've been to DLP two years ago and took some friends with me for whom it was the first visit, they just perceived PM as a "normal" ghost house. When hearing that, I was shocked and couldn't understand how anyone could call PM an average haunted house. But especially after my trip to Europa Park last week, I had to admit that if you don't know anything about the story of an attraction, a lot of its fascination and fun is lost. Of course Europa Park rides can't compete against DLP rides, but nevertheless, if you are not aware of the storyline, you tend to assess the attraction in a different way.

When I was younger, I didn't understand very much of the French introduction of PM. My enthusiasm about this ride arose when I really understood what the ride is about in the internet (thanks to DGRavenswood's website ;) ) and in "From sketch to reality". Growing older, also my French improved, so today it wouldn't be a problem to get what the Phantom narrates. But what about people not speaking French fluently? They ride PM without even guessing how great this attraction is. Especially in Frontierland, which is held in English everywhere, I don't understand why this important piece of information has to be French. Of course, we are in France, but at least there should be the possibility of an switch between English and France.
In ToT you have at least subtitles, even if this won't be realizable in PM.

So I prefer an English narration, as it would allow a lot more people to understand what PM is about. It is a shame that many people cannot appreciate this great ride just because they don't understand French...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!