Phantom Manor Update?

Started by pfspock, February 04, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGRavenswood

Well... it's an interesting argument and I'm really glad that my website helped someone appreciate the attraction even more.

However I actually think that the content of the current Phantom's spiel doesn't help in any way in understanding the story. The original Vincent Price spiel entered into a little more detail but the current one is intentionally vague. Most of the attraction is visual and non-verbal, i.e. music, sound effects... Just about the biggest hint is actually given in English by Madame Leota: "Join now the spirits in nuptial doom... A ravishing bride, a vanishing groom."

Where I agree is that the knowledge that there is a story enhances the experience. Phantom Manor had always been in my top 3 list (I recently found an actual top 10 list I made after my second visit in 1993...) but it became my favorite when I started digging a little deeper. Part of that was also inspired by discussion on the internet but I obviously didn't have my own site to thank. ;)

For the record, though, I've been to many haunted house attractions and even in terms of basic showmanship few of them are in the same league as Phantom Manor. Especially not Europa Park's! I like Europa Park a lot but when it comes to dark rides, well... the less said the better.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Patrick89

By the way, thanks for sharing this other story of Phantom Manor! Sorry if it's a stupid question, but how did you get in contact with Jeff Burke? I think it's really great that he shares so much of his knowledge with the fans of Phantom Manor. This amount of "fan contact" seems to be totally unusual for members of the Disney company ;)

Of course you are right, the spiel doesn't expose many information about the storyline. I have to admit, I also prefer the French voice over Vincent Price's spiel (but only the voice, not the language ;) ). Nevertheless, I think that by understanding at least the introductory spiel, your interest would be raised in a much higher amount than if you are just standing there and understanding nothing. But I think it's difficult for me, as I've dealt a lot with PM and immersed in the secrets of the mansion, to say what people will focus their attention on at their first ride. Most likely, most of people will talk to their friends all during the queue and are not too interested in a storyline ;)

It's strange with Europa Park. I think most of their scenery is pretty well, but the attraction's themselves...Lets draw a veil of silence over it. It's fun riding them once or twice, but I prefer themed rides over isolated steel-rollercoasters...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Patrick89"By the way, thanks for sharing this other story of Phantom Manor! Sorry if it's a stupid question, but how did you get in contact with Jeff Burke? I think it's really great that he shares so much of his knowledge with the fans of Phantom Manor.

It is! I count myself really lucky. Jeff and several of his team members (Pat Burke, Julie Svendsen, Greg Meader, Craig Fleming, Katherine Meyering...) kindly contacted me after a few years of writing about Phantom Manor on my website and a few other outlets. They're all great and incredibly generous with their insights and anecdotes regarding the creation of Phantom Manor and Frontierland in general. As they're no longer working for WDI (to Disney's loss) they also have a certain liberty to talk about these projects.

QuoteOf course you are right, the spiel doesn't expose many information about the storyline. I have to admit, I also prefer the French voice over Vincent Price's spiel (but only the voice, not the language ;) ). Nevertheless, I think that by understanding at least the introductory spiel, your interest would be raised in a much higher amount than if you are just standing there and understanding nothing.

You probably have a point there. It might be slightly more engaging if you can follow the dialogue from the start. But that's a huge problem in Europe and even a combination of French and English wouldn't solve it completely. Perhaps a few more visual clues could help? What if e.g. the Foyer mirror would "magically" show us some more of the story?

QuoteIt's strange with Europa Park. I think most of their scenery is pretty well, but the attraction's themselves...Lets draw a veil of silence over it. It's fun riding them once or twice, but I prefer themed rides over isolated steel-rollercoasters...

Yes, I was really impressed when I first went; unlike Disney even their restrooms are extremely well themed and of course they have some great thrill rides. But when it comes to dark rides and scenic rides, which just happen to be my favorites, well... Let's say that there's room for improvement.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Simba 27

Sorry, but I don't wanna to create a new thread for this question: it is possible to wander in the corridor after the Stretch Room as long as you want, or you must stay with your group? It will be even possible to wait here the next group that comes from the other Stretch Room?

Past trips:
Disneyland Paris: 2001-2005-2007

Disneyland California: 2006

DGRavenswood

Well... generally it' s a bad idea to split up in a haunted house... But if you're feeling brave, not a soul will keep you from lingering behind. On busy days, the following group will join the queue at the Grand Staircase after a minute anyway.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

davewasbaloo

I must confess I was really disappointed on my ride throughs the other week (even my kids noticed the missing effects). Melanie now her face covered in all the scenes, the phantom's mouth was no longer working. Only a couple of skeletons worked. The mayor was not working either, he was talking, but not moving his head at all, it was looking down all the time, and there was no phantom in the mirror. It was a real shame.

Off topic, but similar stories elsewhere. The cayote was not working on the arch. Big thunder mountain had no working AA's, the waterfall was off, the opposums were missing, and of course the boulders no longer move after the accident.

PotC - the lift chains were not working, the woman in the barrel was missing, and the duelling pirates had a big shade over them so they were no longer there.

IASW - the Irish kids no longer danced, nor did the hula or african drummers. The cleo scene was not working. The Indian girls were not moving properly, and in the finale, about 20% of the aa's were static.

I was very surprised as the park looked great otherwise, but there were so many AA's down. THat does not happen in Tokyo and is rare in California, i am used to it at WDW, but DLP surprised me given how they wanted to restore the place for the 20th!
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Dave, are you really surprised that so many AAs didn't work? It's been that way for several years now. The improvement of the park was more like a cosmetic makeover, like Project Sparkle at DCA. Not a single ride did get a big maintenance makeover.

justjes

Quote from: "Simba 27"Sorry, but I don't wanna to create a new thread for this question: it is possible to wander in the corridor after the Stretch Room as long as you want, or you must stay with your group? It will be even possible to wait here the next group that comes from the other Stretch Room?

Yes I have done this a few times. Watching the paintings, Just let the people after you pass.

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Melanie now her face covered in all the scenes

That's not really an upkeep issue; they added a veil in front of her face(s) in 2008, perhaps to make her look more "mysterious." It was done at the same time as the refurbished Leota and the removal of background projections in the Seance Circle.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Festival Disney

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Melanie now her face covered in all the scenes

That's not really an upkeep issue; they added a veil in front of her face(s) in 2008, perhaps to make her look more "mysterious." It was done at the same time as the refurbished Leota and the removal of background projections in the Seance Circle.

It's a tad unrealistic - if the candelabra on the first Melanie were real, she'd set herself ablaze  :|
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Columbiad

I wonder how these fit in with Phantom Manor beguiling backstory...

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... manor.html

DGRavenswood

Ah, the famous love letters...

I think it's important to note that they were never intended to be seen by guests. As Alain writes, they were obviously written by a French set dresser brought in from the outside and so they probably don't reflect the show producer and show writer's version of the story. Also mind that they're hard to decipher even in person so I've seen a number of somewhat different transcripts over the years.

They're a neat curiosity but don't expect any particular insight from them as many fans (myself included) have in the past!
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Columbiad

A great note - thanks DGRavenswood!

dlpfan1992

Why would Disney let such a noticeable affect like the mirrors go missing for so long. I just read a trip on another forum and the mirrors are still not working!  :evil:

Here my wishful thinking they are updating the mirrors to new WDW effect. Just my wishful thinking.  :P

Josh

I read in the DLP 20th Anniversary book that they're planning to update the Phantom Manor, BTM, PotC and Star Tours. It's possible that they're planning the new mirrors. It wouldn't be the hitchhiking ghosts, though, so I'm not sure what the green ghoul would do. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]