An Open Letter to the Owners and Upper Management of DLP

Started by septimuswigley, April 25, 2013, 07:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

septimuswigley

It's taken me a couple of months to get every thought down in a clear way, but following a trip with my wife and daughter to DLP at the end of February I was compelled to write the following open letter on my (very) occasional blog. We're regular visitors to WDW and when we go to DLP it's difficult not to compare the two resorts - unfortunately DLP always suffers due to the lack of standards in the very simplest things.

I love to know if anyone agrees or strongly disagrees - I appreciate I sound a bit nitpicky in some places (cue comments of 'a BIT? ') but I love everything about Disney and it frustrates me how DLP continually seems to let the quality of service I expect from the Disney brand to slip in ways that could so easily be avoided.

I've also posted this on a couple of other DLP forums as I'd like to know whether this is fair comment. I've been encouraged to send it directly to Phillipe Gas (CEO) as apparently he reads letters from Guests and it might just have an impact.

Thoughts?

Linky link //http://stuffennonsense.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/an-open-letter-to-the-owners-and-upper-management-of-disneyland-paris/

Deff

Interesting read. I have wondered often about the restaurants as well. I really can't imagine the reason for this and would love to hear more about it, so in the unlikely event that you ever receive an answer to your letter, do let us know what it says.
 I was in the parks last December, and I was amazed at how difficult it was sometimes to find a place where you could sit and enjoy a hot beverage. This was already tricky during the daytime, but in the final hours before dreams (on weekdays I believe it was on at 19 or 20:00, 22:00 in the weekends) it was just incredible. After a long, tiresome day in the parks, you could either wait outside in the cold, or try to jam your way into one of the two totally packed cookie and coffee shops. These were also so crowded and understaffed that most tables were packed with empty cups and papers.

I do disagree on the part of hospitality from the staff, I can't compare to American standards, but I found the majority of the staff very friendly and helpful. There will always be exceptions; but most of these exceptions were the people who were in situations like the jammed coffee shops. And I honestly felt for them, as there was nothing they could do to change the situation.

gemmasteele84

With staff I got the feeling that they just didn't have any power. More than once I saw cast members tell people to move, stop smoking, wait their turn etc, and 99% of the time they were ignored. The rudeness of some of the people there I just could not believe and there didn't seem much the CMs could do. In all honesty I couldn't think of what they could do. In the shows I saw people constantly sitting in the aisles even though they had been told not to and I did wonder why they were not just asked to leave, but that could cause a scene and nobody wants that. Likewise with families pushing in to see characters. Places such as toon town worked the best and I did see the 'semi circle' system you mentioned used when I was there but people still tried to push their way in. Some people seem to think 'I've paid for this I'm entitled to it' without any consideration for others.
With the princess pavillion I couldn't agree more. We had the exact same problem with trying to see Rapunzel. To make matters worse on one day when my daughter was desperate to see Belle, we saw Snow white. She was nice enough but just as we left guess who we saw walking in, yep, Belle. Luckily we got to meet her later that day or I would have had one broken hearted little girl.

Scoobysnax97

Great letter.  well structured.  I'd be interested to hear the outcome with the CEO

ed-uk

WDW and the Walt Disney Company make big profits, Euro Disney does not, in fact the company lost 100,0000 Euros last year, so DLP has to face tight management costs and cost cutting across the parks, staggered opening hours for restaurants and rides, issues with maintenance when the company has had to make some tough financial decisions in the past. And cut shows and nighttime parades which I'm not happy about. If we queue up for the Princess Pavilion ( I'm no expert on the character meet and greets ) for 45 minutes, it seems Disney gives no guarantee which Princess we'll get to meet.  
I've been to  DLP many times over 20 years and I have seen some rude guest behavior, but on the whole the CMs  have been good, sometimes very good. And as an English only  speaker I've rarely had any trouble will language at DLP,
I have read the open letter with interest, but I didn't completely  recognize DLP from the description given in it.  indeed I've read similar bad reports about WDW on different forums, such as poor maintenance, even at Disneyland in California at times. We know that WDW is four parks and DLP two parks, yet many fans still compare DLP  favourably to WDW.  
Of course it's perfectly right  for a paying guest to write to the company about their concerns if they wish, and over the years I've had a few niggles of my own, not least with the bad weather which Disney can't control. Nevertheless it's Disneyland in France not America and that does seem to make a difference. Employment laws and pay structures are probably different for a start, although I'm no expert on this either.
Ed & David

gldc

"Do you have team leaders? Do you have service champions? Do you have a cast member for each ride who takes responsibility for that ride, who oversees it and trains those who work on it? Because it doesn't seem like it. It seems like you throw staff where it's needed without giving them proper training or guidance and just hope for the best. And that is not the way I believe a Disney Park should be run."

—– Just wanted to point out that I worked at Disneyland Paris over Christmas a couple of years ago and they DO have team leaders, they DO have someone who takes responsibility for each ride, who trains people and then someone responsible for a series of rides, then someone responsible for the whole land, etc. They DO have the necessary infrastructure to make it work.

BUT the problem I see with the company can be easily exemplified from a CM's perspective – there is no affinity with the brand: Traditions – This is the first day of Cast Member training where they are told about DIsney, its history, Walt etc. It's a day that would inspire anyone, right? It would... now I can let you know that some Cast Members I worked with DID NOT go through traditions, those on seasonal contracts (read:20-40% of all staff at any given time) are given a shortened version of traditions. Our trainer very distinctly told us that "usually this whole training process should take 2 days, we'll do it all in a few hours".

In total my class lasted 2 hours, it lasts 4-6 hours in Florida. This means that many of the Cast have no pride in the brand. After the class had ended, I remember very distinctly the last thing the trainers told us: if you don't want to smile, don't. No smile is better than a fake smile. This pretty much sums up Disneyland Paris' mentality. If you don't want to bother, don't.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

ed-uk

I would recommend Disneyland Paris to anyone, Reading back over my previous post I wouldn't want first time visitors to think that the resort was nothing but cuts because of financial troubles, because that is not the case.
Ed & David

captain rocket

Several really good points raised and I am sure that if you send them off to Philipe Gas that they will be taken note of.
This guy really seems to have the Disney ethic and I am hopeful he can make some improvements, he has a tough job on his hands, but suggestions like these that would not cost a lot of money and make a significant difference to guest experience must be very valuable to him.
To compare DLRP to the profit rich American parks is very difficult and we have to accept that there is a cultural difference in Europe that may mean we never achieve the same level of "Disneyness"
To address just one issue, mobbing the characters. The way some of the meet and greets are structured with especial reference to the party train means that unless some major alteration is made the situation will never change. The sad truth is that many mainland Europeans do not embrace the concept of waiting patiently in line and will turn into virtual thugs to gain an advantage over anyone else, look at the situation at the bus station after Dreams, Anarchy is the best description here! Americans, on the other hand expect to wait in line and are polite to others and expect politeness in return. Good luck Phillipe!

ed-uk

I thought  the idea behind the Mickey Mouse Theatre and the Princess Pavilion was to try and stop some mobbing of the characters, so people would have to queue up in a structured way. If we queue up for the Princess Pavilion we get to meet a Disney Princess and have our picture taken with her as we might expect, Which princess or how many of them seems to be the problem here for  some guests.
It is easy to compare WDW to DLP, there's no EPCOT or Animal Kingdom at DLP for a start. WDW is on a bigger scale and they probably employ more princess's for their pavilions.
Ed & David

sarahmumof4

I think your letter is very well written .

We visited for the second time in February  1/ 2 term and I wish I had written to complain.

We had a good time don't get me wrong but there are little issues that do need addressing .

I found the park to be heaving during 1/2 term yet like the letter says so many food places were shut . We wandered about for quite some time trying to find somewhere open . The kids fancied pizza but the 3 places we tried for pizza were shut .
In the end we went for burgers somewhere but the place was packed and we had to wait for ages for a table and by that time the food was cold.

By biggest problem is people not  queuing though . Why when people are waiting to pay at a till do others think its acceptable to shove in front .
Why when people are waiting to see a character do people think its ok to push past.
And the worst , when queuing for the shuttle. We were at the adagio this time . Got to the bus stop after dreams , first people there yet when the bus arrived  we couldn't get on as everybody just barged past me and my four children ( one being in a buggy ).
We then had to wait nearly an hour in the cold which was not fun . I don't understand why people think its right to not wait for their turn .

I really open that your letter gets read and changes do happen
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

ed-uk

The best advice I can give about food for what it's worth is to book a table in a restaurant, we always do it in the morning. The all you can  buffet restaurants are good value for money and with a good breakfast in the hotel that sets us up for the day.  Then we might go  somewhere like The Cable Car Bake shop for a tea and cake later. Finding food isn't a problem, well it hasn't been for us I should say, what's needed is a bit of forward planning and work round it. Eat late lunch or early dinner in Disney Village when it should be quieter it's only 5 minutes walk away from WDS. Or why not have a break away from the parks and book a table in your hotel and have a rest, especially with young children.
I've noticed for years  that not all the restaurants are open at the same time. But because of Dreams (or maybe it's just a coincidence ) and the park staying open longer some of the restaurants still open and close at different times, or don't open. I'm not saying it's Okay, but what can we do? Only write and complain when we get back.
If you want fast food you can find it, even MacDonald's in Disney Village
Ed & David

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "ed-uk"The best advice I can give about food for what it's worth is to book a table in a restaurant, we always do it in the morning. The all you can  buffet restaurants are good value for money and with a good breakfast in the hotel that sets us up for the day.  Then we might go  somewhere like The Cable Car Bake shop for a tea and cake later. Finding food isn't a problem, well it hasn't been for us I should say, what's needed is a bit of forward planning and work round it. Eat late lunch or early dinner in Disney Village when it should be quieter it's only 5 minutes walk away from WDS. Or why not have a break away from the parks and book a table in your hotel and have a rest, especially with young children.
I've noticed for years  that not all the restaurants are open at the same time. But because of Dreams (or maybe it's just a coincidence ) and the park staying open longer some of the restaurants still open and close at different times, or don't open. I'm not saying it's Okay, but what can we do? Only write and complain when we get back.
If you want fast food you can find it, even MacDonald's in Disney Village

Fully agree with what ed has said.

The biggest disappointment for me at DLrP  has always been the restaurants, fast, buffet or Table Service.  My favourite restaurant in the whole resort is the Yacht Club, but sadly these days it is rarely open, even in low season.
Ed is right, to avoid long queues and within reason be able to eat what you would prefer, book a buffet restaurant in the parks or Hotels early morning. I nearly always do that and it serves me well, normally ;)

David

ed-uk

Dining in a beautifully themed restaurant is all part of the Disney experience and holiday for us. We enjoy the table service and the buffet restaurants.
Ed & David