Phantom Manor Update?

Started by pfspock, February 04, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I have to say that Phanton Manor really is the most amazing attraction at DLRP if it wasnt there I probably wouldnt go  :shock:
I think it has the most loyal fans of all the rides in the park. We went Halloween 2011 and i was really disappointed that PM wasnt the centre of the halloween theme.

I saw the video of halloween when they used PM to project onto and using the original music OMG i wish i had been there. I mean come on disney wouldnt it be amazing just to make Frontierland really dark and spooky and tell the story of the manor etc at Halloween and we could all go dressed as Melanie and Henry  :o  

Sorry getting carried away there  :oops:

Im going to try and post some halloween pics of PM and ourselves on when i work out how to do it (not very technically minded )

BadKid

Quote from: "Karen"I have to say that Phanton Manor really is the most amazing attraction at DLRP if it wasnt there I probably wouldnt go  :shock:  

I agree!
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

greenkai3000

I read somewhere, wikipedia I think it was, that the tea set inside the gazebo was automated.  Meaning the cups moved by themselves at some point.   Is this true? Does anyone have video of this ever happening?    :)
WDW Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007,  Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010.

Disneyland Paradise Pier Hotel October 2011

Disneyland Paris   Disneyland Hotel June 2012  

DGRavenswood

It's a fun idea but I doubt that it ever happened. It's not mentioned in any official documents I've seen. I'd suspect it's one of the ever-growing urban legends surrounding early DLP, like recollections of prospectors' animatronics at BTM.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

greenkai3000

I found the link on wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Manor
...here's part of it

"A derelict gazebo stands on the lawn that has a tea set laid out. Originally, these used to move to mimic two people pouring and drinking tea. The gazebo also contains a music box playing within (since 2001, this music box track is also used in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion for use on the Haunted Mansion Holiday annual seasonal overlay)"
WDW Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007,  Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010.

Disneyland Paradise Pier Hotel October 2011

Disneyland Paris   Disneyland Hotel June 2012  

DGRavenswood

I have a copy of a maintenance document from 1991 which lists all animated props; the gazebo had none whatsoever. That said, it wouldn't be the only mistake on that Wikipedia page. I'd have to take the time to weed through that some day.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Magic M

It seems the Haunted Mansions around the world are the attractions with the most urban myths and legends.  The Hat Box Ghost etc...

DGRavenswood

Oh, absolutely. The number of different versions of the Phantom Manor story you'll find on the internet are a good example of that. And our Manor is relatively young compared to the Haunted Mansions.  What we're missing so far are the "real ghost" stories found at DL and WDW...
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Magic M

The sensational "Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" gives one of the few "true accounts" of the Phantom Manor story.

It also highlights the reasons why the original Haunted Mansion was so popular.  I love the fact the facade of the Mansion lay undisturbed for many years before the attraction opened and that Walt himself went "ghost hunting" in Britain to sell "after-lifetime leases" to the homeless spirits of The Blitz.

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Magic M"The sensational "Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" gives one of the few "true accounts" of the Phantom Manor story.

Right. That and "From Sketch to Reality".

You'll also find an account of the story on my website which is based on those two accounts, evidence in the parks, internal WDI documents and correspondence with the original Imagineers.

A little fun fact: the original story was going to be much more complex and featured two more Ravenswood family members whose tombs you'd even see on Boot Hill... in the end it was somewhat simplified.

Walt's search seems to have been successful as several Haunted Mansion CMs can tell some really convincing and creepy stories of real ghosts they've encountered when they were in the attraction on their own.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Magic M

Just looking through a few pics and I realised that The Hat Box Ghost makes an appearance in PM as the ticket seller ghost!

Scissorsboi

According to the Etnaland home page, it seems that Phantom Manor recieved an update in the form of being moved to another park? I know DLP likes to move the location of attractions around for their promo photos, but to a whole new park is new to me!

//http://www.etnaland.eu/en/
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

MissDisney

I'm new to this whole topic conversation but was intrigued by the idea that PM might get an overhaul for the 20th.
I love PM! It's one of my faves, frontierland being one of my fave lands too! As much as I already love it tho I do think some tweaks could only make it better!
They have so much rich space to work with within the queuing system I can't halp but think more things could be placed to freak us out whilst we wait! I love boothill but again, some new quirky graves, random sound effects wouldn't go amiss surely?
I love the idea that there was once a Grimm reaper! I've never seen any 'characters' around that area, not even at Halloween!
I'm also a hitchhiking ghost fan and would love some more of they're mythology.
WDW goes all out on their HM what's the harm in us being treated to some new effects. The main theme, story and history of the current doesn't have go change to be improved.
I'm going in 6 weeks so shall keep my peepers open for anything 'out of the ordinary....' mwa ha ha ha ;)
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" Walt D

"Noooooo touchy"

Hotel Cheyanne 2007
Hotel Santa Fe 2008 2009 and 2010
Experienced Halloween, MNSSHP, Christmas and Summer!

Patrick89

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"A little fun fact: the original story was going to be much more complex and featured two more Ravenswood family members whose tombs you'd even see on Boot Hill... in the end it was somewhat simplified.

Do you know more about that fact (and want to tell it to us ;)) ? Always fascinating how complex the PM story is, even if it's a great pity that parts of the mansion like the carriage house weren't realized or that Boot Hill is smaller than planned...If I were a billionair, I would sponsor these updates ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Patrick89"Do you know more about that fact (and want to tell it to us ;)) ? Always fascinating how complex the PM story is, even if it's a great pity that parts of the mansion like the carriage house weren't realized or that Boot Hill is smaller than planned...If I were a billionair, I would sponsor these updates ;)

I do know a little more but it would probably be a little too in-depth for this topic. I'll try to take some time to write it up and post it somewhere; I'll let you know.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook