Potential Disney Village refurbishments

Started by Rocketeer, January 11, 2016, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelvictor

Quote from: anthony2k6 on June 04, 2016, 02:52:45 AMI wish something could be done to draw people in to Billy Bobs more. I love the place. I just don't understand why more often than not its empty in there. The bands are usually awesome, and the drinks are a fair price compared to some of the hotels. In my mind it should be popular but it rarely ever is.

Couldn't agree more. I really like Billy Bob's - good food and drinks at low (for Disney) prices, and I've seen fantastic bands and DJs perform there.

Disney Village Radio always has adverts for Billy Bob's, telling you what bands are performing, when etc, but other than a few of us die hard fans who listen online, I'm not sure where else you can actually hear the station so I don't know how effective that advertising is?!

Random story - I'm a film director by trade. I saw a band performing at Billy Bob's called Kane'd. They were so good that I instantly asked them if I could hire them to record a song for the soundtrack of one of my films. They then returned the favour and hired me to direct four music videos for them! :) (these can be found on Youtube under the accounts "KanedBandVEVO" and "KanedUK" for anyone interested) Obviously it wasn't just me that thought they were great, as DLP asked them back to perform there again the next year as well  ;D

Quote from: Spacepilot on June 04, 2016, 07:25:35 AM
Now update this with a starry sky of LED lights which can twinkle and some warm lights incorporated into the towers which will be turned for a more cozy atmosphere. Add some electricity/lightning/laser stuff going on at random between the top of the towers, let a train by walt glide along the towers and trough the air (like dreams projections), add some sound effects.

Keep the neon, no colorful balloons. Create a "separate" section with some greenery and a fountain.
And keep the place loud like it used to be, not this relatively quiet "pass-trough-to-the park" section.

Yeah that sounds cool (though I admit that I like the baloons) - lots of neon & LEDs would work. And yes, I agree, the area works much better when there is live music and stuff going on, like at Christmas, Halloween, Welsh Festival, St Patricks etc.  8)

norhel

Quote from: anthony2k6 on June 04, 2016, 02:52:45 AM
There's some stores I think are real obvious additions that Disney village should borrow from Disney Springs. Here's my list:

• Once upon a Toy
  • Disneys Days Of Christmas
  • Goofys Candy Co

I agree that those shops could be something go have in the Village, as long as you'll also find something shop specific that you'll don't get at the rest of the resort.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Rocketeer

Keep the neon, no colorful balloons. Create a "separate" section with some greenery and a fountain.
And keep the place loud like it used to be, not this relatively quiet "pass-trough-to-the park" section.

That sums the current village up perfectly. Its almost an after thought, its mainly just the rat-run that gets you from the hotels to the parks.
For me, they should have stuck to the original theme: from wikipedia,

The concept was a large open space full of life and music, lit from all sides around a central avenue with a starry sky. The columns that supported the starry sky would be the remnants of an old power station, left standing after the site was converted into a festival of 90's contemporary American entertainment.
Hearing that, it makes the steel columns make more sense. Trouble is, as they are now, they just don't seem to be a part of any themeing.

And the description also reminds me of Hyperion Wharf, the plans they had for Pleasure Island in '10, before it got shelved and converted to Disney Springs.

A nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier will evolve Pleasure Island into "Hyperion Wharf." By day, the bustling port district will draw guests in with its stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland.
-Yesterland

Surprisingly the Disney Parks Blog post for it (with concept art) is still available.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/first-look-waterfront-district-hyperion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

paterdave2

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 24, 2016, 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: div129 on May 23, 2016, 10:54:33 PM
I'd like to see a shop dedicated to Home Media.
Quote from: samuelvictor on May 24, 2016, 08:28:47 AM
I also found it weird the first time that we went that there weren't any dedicated places selling dvds and cds of Disney stuff, though I know most people are switching to digital only stuff. They should make more of an effort in having Disneyland Paris related DVDs and music CDs though - rather than the very limited edition ones you randomly see every now and again. I'm sure that a decent, well produced "guide to the parks & attractions" DVD/Blu-Ray would sell like hotcaskes, as would a music CD with all the exclusive songs - rather than us having to make our own playlists to listen to on the way. I think the last "album" was well over 5 years ago and copies were rather scarce so most people don't even know there was one...  ::)
Perhaps they are reluctant to sell DVD/BR as you'd have to stock four or five different languages of the same disc. I'm only guessing here, but although you select your language when you play the disc, maybe folk are not buying «La reine des neiges» as they think its only in French. Likewise they see 'Frozen' but want 'Die Eiskönigin - Völlig unverfroren'
Again, that's only an assumption. And perhaps that's even an assumption by the merchandise department - maybe people would buy them..? Who knows.

I don't see a problem here. I have some DVD's that have about 7 Languages in speech and subtitle.
I think they could easely make a dvd/blu-ray with the languages from most of the guests.
So you would have to make 1 version of the disc and yes you could use diffrent cover versions but that isn't really necessary as the french will also understand Frozen as a title.

As for the stores I would love to get some more special stores like theChritmas shop in there. There is now coming a new restaurant perhaps maker it so that you can walk around they could use the space meant for the hotel as I have seen a picture once of plans that they wanted to construct the hotel over shops so than it isn't a problem to construct the shops firts and expand it later on with the hotel.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm