Potential Disney Village refurbishments

Started by Rocketeer, January 11, 2016, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelvictor

I totally agree on the World of Disney Store look its a lot more classy and timeless.Similarly I feel the design (inside and out) of the comparitively new Earl of Sandwich has a interesting but classy look.

I also agree that the design of the village looks a bit "stuck in the 90s". I especially agree that the Disney Store exterior looks rather dated. ::)

But from the perspective of a child or young teen wanting lots of themeing and things to look at, the stuff around the Village has got to be cool the first time you go there - think of the big mushrooms, colourful balloons, the animals, the models of disney characters climbing on the walls, hanging from ceilings, the ever changing photo spots etc. Even the standard things you get everywhere like Starbucks and McDonalds are a lot more visually interesting than they are "back home".

Don't get me wrong, if they wanted to raise it all to the ground and start again, that'd be cool by me - as long as they have a decent budget and add the little (or big) touches of Disney design and stuff for kids to be excited by "discovering". I think there is definitely something to be said for each restaurant and shop having its own visual style - rather than looking all the same except their logos/signs.

irishbhoy1888

The place looks terrible and old . Not enough happening at night either . It needs to be modernized to a smaller scale Disney springs like theme .
P.S .
please get rid of that hideous arcade between the Disney store and sports bar .

Rocketeer

OK, here's a question; if they did expand the Village, where is best?
Should they use the area around the Earl of Sandwich and the events tent, or just go straight to the patch of land that sits alongside Lake Disney (which presumably was for another hotel at some point)?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

rebecca20

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 21, 2016, 09:09:11 PM
OK, here's a question; if they did expand the Village, where is best?
Should they use the area around the Earl of Sandwich and the events tent, or just go straight to the patch of land that sits alongside Lake Disney (which presumably was for another hotel at some point)?

Personally I think near Earl of Sandwich to keep things more compact... if they do use the hotel space then it would be interesting to see what extras they add as I would hate to see another disney store same as the others!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Rocketeer

^Good point on the Disney Store thing. Personally I think there should be more individual shops run by Disney, rather than the big name brands that you see at Disney Springs.

Things like Downtown Disney's Vault 28 and Disney Springs' Marketplace Co-operative and Design-A-Tee.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

rebecca20

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 21, 2016, 09:50:07 PM
^Good point on the Disney Store thing. Personally I think there should be more individual shops run by Disney, rather than the big name brands that you see at Disney Springs.

Things like Downtown Disney's Vault 28 and Disney Springs' Marketplace Co-operative and Design-A-Tee.

I would be thrilled if they did add in some little extra cute shops. Even a Xmas decoration shop would go well in the village IMO (like the one in Springs).
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

samuelvictor

Yeah I'm definitely "for" small Disney shops with a specific theme and exclusive stuff. Its a real shame that the majority of the shops in the parks just sell the same stuff. We really like the shops that are more specific and feel related to the area or a theme, like the Christmas shop in the castle, the Tower of Terror, Star Tours and Art of Animation shops etc. In the village the gallery is a nice one to look around, and there is some cool stuff in the fashion boutique, so more themed shops with stuff that feels "special" (ie if you hadn't have gone in that particular shop you wouldn't have seen it) would be good. I really like the design of the building for World of Disney, but the majority of the stuff in there is available everywhere...  :-\

Rocketeer

Another different direction would be to create a version of EPCOT City's International Street. A shopping district idea that morphed into EPCOT Center's World Showcase.

Although for Disney Village, I guess this would end up being more food focused though. Not that that would be a bad thing. Maybe adding more eateries, and replacing/relocating the existing ones with the bespoke stores, would be a good direction to go.

mickey1980

There is a major outlet and shopping center just around the corner. The problem is that Disney can't or won't market it because that would mean people leaving the bubble. Same goes for the Sea Life Aquarium.
I think that now, with trip advisor reviews and all. More and more visitors realize that there are good better value restaurants outside of the Village. This especially goes for the people staying in the partner hotels.

So they need to step up their game, and keep visitors inside of the bubble. Unfortunately until this day, I haven't seen DLP making any effort in doing so.  :-\
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

div129

I'd like to see a shop dedicated to Home Media. When I first went to DLP in 2002, I'm sure I remember seeing a shop in Village that sold DVDs and video games behind the counter. When we went back in November last year, the only place I saw DVDs for sale was in the gift shop in Studio 1 of the Studios - but all they had was Planes 1&2, and Monsters University. When we asked a CM in that shop if anywhere in the park sold DVDs, he said no and that the best place was to try the shopping mall in Val d'Europe. They had a fair selection of both DVDs and blu rays in the supermarket there (forget the name). Although they would need several different languaged DVDs to accommodate the guests, I think it would do them well to have a store like this.

Another type of store I'd like to see is one dedicated to pins and pin trading. I know it's nowhere near as popular in Paris as it is in US, but it would be a nice addition to the Village.

polar vixen

They have the little shop in the back corner of frontier l land for pin trading but it's only open weekends I think. If they had a larger so in the village it may well draw a lot more attention to it and help increase its popularity

samuelvictor

I'd love a shop dedicated to pins and pin trading with everything laid out nicely and a large selection.

I also found it weird the first time that we went that there weren't any dedicated places selling dvds and cds of Disney stuff, though I know most people are switching to digital only stuff. They should make more of an effort in having Disneyland Paris related DVDs and music CDs though - rather than the very limited edition ones you randomly see every now and again. I'm sure that a decent, well produced "guide to the parks & attractions" DVD/Blu-Ray would sell like hotcaskes, as would a music CD with all the exclusive songs - rather than us having to make our own playlists to listen to on the way. I think the last "album" was well over 5 years ago and copies were rather scarce so most people don't even know there was one...  ::)

Rocketeer

Quote from: div129 on May 23, 2016, 10:54:33 PM
Another type of store I'd like to see is one dedicated to pins and pin trading. I know it's nowhere near as popular in Paris as it is in US, but it would be a nice addition to the Village.
Quote from: polar vixen on May 24, 2016, 12:07:09 AM
They have the little shop in the back corner of frontier l land for pin trading but it's only open weekends I think. If they had a larger so in the village it may well draw a lot more attention to it and help increase its popularity
There are dedicated Pin Traders stores in both Downtown Disney and Disney Springs, so I can't see why Paris can't have one.

Unless its just not as popular, but I can't see why not.

Quote from: div129 on May 23, 2016, 10:54:33 PM
I'd like to see a shop dedicated to Home Media.
Quote from: samuelvictor on May 24, 2016, 08:28:47 AM
I also found it weird the first time that we went that there weren't any dedicated places selling dvds and cds of Disney stuff, though I know most people are switching to digital only stuff. They should make more of an effort in having Disneyland Paris related DVDs and music CDs though - rather than the very limited edition ones you randomly see every now and again. I'm sure that a decent, well produced "guide to the parks & attractions" DVD/Blu-Ray would sell like hotcaskes, as would a music CD with all the exclusive songs - rather than us having to make our own playlists to listen to on the way. I think the last "album" was well over 5 years ago and copies were rather scarce so most people don't even know there was one...  ::)
Perhaps they are reluctant to sell DVD/BR as you'd have to stock four or five different languages of the same disc. I'm only guessing here, but although you select your language when you play the disc, maybe folk are not buying «La reine des neiges» as they think its only in French. Likewise they see 'Frozen' but want 'Die Eiskönigin - Völlig unverfroren'
Again, that's only an assumption. And perhaps that's even an assumption by the merchandise department - maybe people would buy them..? Who knows.

As for a new album, I agree, we're definitely overdue.

Some great suggestions for new stores, keep 'em coming. I think we've managed at least four new ones - they'd sit great in a little crescent next to McDonald's. I guess that means removing the tent thing though!

anthony2k6

There's some stores I think are real obvious additions that Disney village should borrow from Disney Springs. Here's my list:

• Once upon a Toy
  • Disneys Days Of Christmas
  • Goofys Candy Co

In addition,some kind of nice Desert/Icecream place would be a good addition.

In addition, I wish something could be done to draw people in to Billy Bobs more. I love the place. I just don't understand why more often than not its empty in there. The bands are usually awesome, and the drinks are a fair price compared to some of the hotels. In my mind it should be popular but it rarely ever is.

Spacepilot

For me, they should have stuck to the original theme: from wikipedia,

The concept was a large open space full of life and music, lit from all sides around a central avenue with a starry sky. The columns that supported the starry sky would be the remnants of an old power station, left standing after the site was converted into a festival of 90’s contemporary American entertainment.

Gehry  (the architect) noted:

The idea of a station in the U.S. made me think of power stations which are often found this close to a railway line. Festival Disney is a bright place full of life. The power stations are illuminated at night, hence my idea of a network of 3,600 low-intensity bulbs that cover all of the structures. Naturally, the lights will be suspended between towers and, as a measure of the design process, I blew and embellished the towers that I wanted to sparkle without merely being decorative. Once the sky and towers were imagined, I disposed of buildings and other parts of a normal avenue...

Now update this with a starry sky of LED lights which can twinkle and some warm lights incorporated into the towers which will be turned for a more cozy atmosphere. Add some electricity/lightning/laser stuff going on at random between the top of the towers, let a train by walt glide along the towers and trough the air (like dreams projections), add some sound effects.

Keep the neon, no colorful balloons. Create a "separate" section with some greenery and a fountain.
And keep the place loud like it used to be, not this relatively quiet "pass-trough-to-the park" section.