Potential Disney Village refurbishments

Started by Rocketeer, January 11, 2016, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

With thanks to poster 'True-lifeadventures' over in the 'Extinct Attractions' thread, who shared a link to a MiceAge article about the future of the Disney Village.

According to the article, Disneyland Paris' COO Daniel Delcourt has stated that:
QuoteDisney Village is no longer in line with Disney's vision of an upbeat family place, refurbishment is in the planning stage
http://micechat.com/117514-inside-disneyland-paris-meeting-daniel-delcourt-deputy-ceo-operations/

I know that's quite a broad statement, and I don't expect we'll be getting a Parisian equivalent of Disney Springs, but it's sure fun to speculate.

So any suggestions? Not only what we'd love to see, but anything that should stay.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Rocketeer

I didn't add my opinions in the OP, so I'll put them here.

Aesthetically, the whole Village needs a complete retheme. Its too cold and industrial - and not in the trendy way. Perhaps a leaf out of the Disney Springs book, with its brick façades and the like, would be most welcome.

Of the "things to keep", I've not eaten in all of the venues, but I'd say that the majority of the restaurants should stay - even if they get re-located in some grand refurb scheme.

They could add something like Trader Sam's (Disneyland, Walt Disney World) as an additional themed area.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

polar vixen

I'd live to see better goings on in disney village.  b that I mean we've been during both swing into spring and Christmas when they have little huts selling treats abd they're fab.  they make tge place Much more cosy.  conversely we went In  September when the alleged rock and roll fest was on and we're really disappointed.  a couple of stands with people playing now and then.   some cool cars but only a few.  I was expecting something much grander.  definitely didn't have a disney stamp on it.

True-lifeadventures

Obviously I'm really glad that the parks are getting the upgrades and TLC they need ready for the anniversary next year, but it's awesome that they are already thinking about the following years.
This past week in the park, the difference in the CMs attitude and friendliness has been amazing. I've had some pretty poor experiences with some of them over the years, but the last couple trips it's really been obvious that they are stepping up their game.

I've actually just got back from Annette's where we had the best meal I've ever had there. The Wait and Kitchen Staff were all out signing and dancing and getting everyone involved, which I've never seen before. Our waitress cared that we were fussy with our food and wanted to make sure we didn't have certain things in our food. She was really helpful.

I think, like Downtown Disney in the US, when they made Disney Village they thought it was going to be a big night spot for park guests and people in the surrounding towns, but I couldn't imagine anyone going there who wasn't on their way back to their hotel from the park.

It would be good to reimagine the whole area to less of a 'night club' type place and more of just a 'park thats not a park' in the same vein as Disney Springs.
It appears they have a 10 year plan so we might have to be patient with this one.
Click the image below to visit our Vlog channel

WDW - Sept 2013. DLP - Dec 2013. DLP - Dec 2014. DLC - May 2015. DLP - Nov 2015. DLP - Jan 2016. WDW - Sept 2016

sunshine1

Def needs upgrading. That line of shops and restaurants where the disney store is looks so outdated.
Next time you are in the village. Look at the outside of the disney store. Hasnt been changed for over 20 years. New york sandwiches and sports bar too.
Interior of the disney store with that old blue carpet depressed the hell out of me.

Remco K.

Disney Village could really use a huge makeover. Since 1992, Disney Village (once called Festival Disney) has been changed into a clash of various style that don't really fit together.

Personally, I'd like to see more of an entertainment district, featuring lampposts, fountains and possibly some quiet corners to relax.

Rocketeer

After seeing pictures of Disneytown at Shanghai Disneyland, I was reminded of this thread. Disney Village really looks out of date and tired, and that's before you compare it to Disney Springs (WDW) and Disneytown (SDL).

OK, both those mentioned are no doubt expensive, however it can't surely be too hard to find even a half dozen potential tenants for an expansion of Disney Village that could justify the costs?

samuelvictor

TBH I've never understood what people don't like about Disney Village - I first went in 2011 and last went last year and every time I've been I've actively enjoyed the area. I like the style of it all. It doesn't look old fashioned to me - but then I'm pushing 35 and I like the 90s aesthetic. I really like the little touches like the Elephants and Aligator, the cars outside Annettes, Mickey outside Buffalo Bill's, Statues by World of Disney, paving slabs with distances to other Disney Parks, places to take photos, themed huts over different holiday periods, the lookout over Lake Disney & Panoramagique etc. its really nice when they have live entertainment going on outside, and fireworks over New Year are great too :)

Maybe its just because I am always very happy & excited when I'm near the parks but I've never had a problem with it. I really like spending time in World of Disney and the Disney Store, the new Lego store is great, and I like looking round the gallery and fashion boutiques. I love Earl of Sandwich, Billy Bob's and Annettes, and the McDonalds, Starbucks, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood are all really nice designs - I've never been in but its always fun to see what characters are in Cafe Mickey's when walking past...

Of course, there are improvements that could be made. I'd personally like larger arcades and more variety in the games, and a wider range of exclusive merchandise in the shops to separate each one from the other. I'm always up for more exclusively Disney theming - character models etc. I wish the cinema showed English (and maybe other) language films as well as French ones.

I've never been to Disney Springs but hopefully will be going there later this year, so it'll be good to see what people are talking about. I'd really love an indoor virtual "theme park" like Disney Quest - though I am sad to read that the Florida Disney Quest is closing, so its unlikely they'd open a new one :(

mrpiggywinkles52

I think the place needs a little TLC, but before changing the aesthetic I think it needs expansion. Put that ahead of it all, build the expansions in the new aesthetic and change the old stuff later, it is too small atm.

Really though I'd rather put the money into Studios, I believe if the Studios would be profitiable then the entire resort would, so lets fix that, people spend more time in the parks than the village anyways,

daddyof2

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on May 11, 2016, 04:42:39 PM
I think the place needs a little TLC, but before changing the aesthetic I think it needs expansion. Put that ahead of it all, build the expansions in the new aesthetic and change the old stuff later, it is too small atm.

Really though I'd rather put the money into Studios, I believe if the Studios would be profitiable then the entire resort would, so lets fix that, people spend more time in the parks than the village anyways,

I think it's easy to forget that the Disney Village is accessible to people without tickets, and Disney would like to keep it as an important part of the resort

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: daddyof2 on May 11, 2016, 04:53:32 PM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on May 11, 2016, 04:42:39 PM

I think it's easy to forget that the Disney Village is accessible to people without tickets, and Disney would like to keep it as an important part of the resort

Sure, but I do wonder how many people actually use it without tickets? It's a glorified Disney Store with a few cool resteraunts and Buffalo Bills. hardly the type of place you go all that often. That said it is great as a side thing whilst you are on a vacation to the parks.

Not to say it doesn't need help, but the priority should be on the resort's biggest downfall and what I've heard makes it unprofitable, the Walt Disney Studios.

Rocketeer

^I don't disagree with you there. The Studios is the big issue for the resort - one assumes that the hotels are not as big a burden as in the past if they are considering building an eighth.

However I don't think they can ignore the Village's issues either. Personally whenever I've stayed at one of the hotels, the Village was merely a part of the route to get to the Esplanade. I maybe looked in a couple of stores (the Art of Disney if I remember right) and I did eat at Annette's but the Village as a whole is not a destination where I would want to spend part of my holiday.

Whereas Disneytown and Disney Springs (maybe Downtown Disney) are virtually destinations in themselves.

As for the aesthetics of the place, there's just no charm to it. That 'Industrial chic' look is so out of date it might just become retro and trendy again soon.

Mrpiggywinkles, I do agree though - they probably would be better expanding the place before trying to smarten up what's already there. At least they could construct a second 'street', without much disruption to the guests.

Rocketeer

I'm not saying that Paris should have a vast shopping mall setup (I don't think we need that many fashion outlets) but look at the newly opened 'Town Center'. Certainly more appealing that our industrial warehouses.

https://youtu.be/ETZQiFjkHZg

Heck, even if they just replicated that indoor portion (that admittedly looks like a converted warehouse) next to the current Disney Village, then we might be just getting somewhere. Plus, with Villages Nature not too far from opening, there should be an increase in footfall.

samuelvictor

For high-end fashion shopping, DLRP already has Val D'Europe, and it is excellent at what it does.

I just watched the video above and tbh it looks cold and uninteresting. Imagine being a kid walking through that area - you'd be pretty bored. Our current Disney village has a huge amount of colour and variety in between each shop and restauarnt - there's loads of stuff to look at and see. Sure, some of it is dated and could be modernised, but I think if the colour and variety was to go it would be a huge shame.

Rocketeer

^We'll have to agree to disagree on the Village being a visual treat. When I think of it all I can see is those horrid metal columns and uninviting store fronts. Not to mention  that hideous off-model character thing they have over the door of the Disney Store. (The one next to the Sports Bar).

Sure, Disney Springs has that shopping mall vibe (and as I said the Village does not need any fashion outlets), however it still looks like a place that belongs. It has nuanced details that are hallmarks of a Disney themed environment.
The World of Disney was a welcome addition to the Village - in fact if they did up the rest of the Village to match its facade then at least it wouldn't look like something from the Nineties pretending its still trendy despite being 25 years in the past.