New attractions paid by TWDC??

Started by Kristof, December 30, 2007, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

La Roquine, a very trustworthy moderator on Disney Central Plaza has heard several rumours from insiders at both Euro Disney SCA and TWDC (The Walt Disney Co.) that a next bunch of new attractions over the coming years will be financed, or co-financed, by Bob Iger & Jay Rasulo from TWDC!  Nothing is certain of course and there are no official announcements yet.

I've moved this deliberatly to the Imagineering board, 'cause here we can start brainstorming about what, where and how!  :idea:  :D

Anthony

As blue-sky as all that sounds, I can actually see it happening. The Walt Disney Company might have realised that if they want to ever get any real benefit back from DLRP, they're going to have to help keep up this flow of new attractions and building attendance, or it'll all fall apart again, as it did when the WDS opened without enough funding.

Anyway... brainstorming! Here's the possibilities I can think of with my own thoughts (feel free to post your own yes/no list):

- Soarin'
Hmm, yes and no. It's been strongly rumoured for ages now, but it still doesn't seem like a very 'DLRP' kind of attraction. It doesn't seem to have enough thrill, character or story. Look to the past and DLRP has done Indy (thrill), Tower (story) and the Toon Studio rides (pixar characters). However, maybe that just proves it's exactly what they need? It's very very bland anyway, so if it comes hopefully it'd be dressed up with some extra Hollywood style.

- Toy Story Mania
Yes from every angle - except for space. I can't figure where it'd fit in Toon Studio without major changes.

- Ratatouille
Very very possible now if you ask me (although I was skeptical before), considering it's the most popular film of 2007 in France. Maybe a 4D show presented in Le Ratatouille restaurant, with all the rats running around preparing a meal - complete with seat vibrations, a few small Audio-Animatronics and - of course - scents. Might just about fit behind Art of Disney Animation.
The story would be Rémy filming a TV cookery show, and you're the audience (with 3D glasses).

- Splash Mountain / Indy
The next wave of attractions has to bring a new E-Ticket for DLP.
- Build Splash because it's insanely popular, completely different for DLRP, fills a gap for a water ride, provides a nice weenie in the corner of Frontierland and will take a little strain from BTM as the park fills up with these 14m+ guests.
- Build Indy because it's high-tech, indoor, huge capacity, fabulously themed, tied into the franchise which returns in 2008, would probably be a bit cheaper than Splash, fills an empty area, etc.
But honestly, I can't decide between those two.

Seeing what they've got planned for DCA, the twists and turns Toon Studio took in eventually giving us two brand new attractions, and so on... it's really hard to predict anything.  Only Soarin' and an extra Toon Studio attraction are very very likely IMO.  :idea:

Owain

Quote from: "raptor1982"La Roquine, a very trustworthy moderator on Disney Central Plaza has heard several rumours from insiders at both Euro Disney SCA and TWDC (The Walt Disney Co.) that a next bunch of new attractions over the coming years will be financed, or co-financed, by Bob Iger & Jay Rasulo from TWDC!  Nothing is certain of course and there are no official announcements yet.

Sorry raptor to seem dumb, but in more detail what does this mean and is it good for the resort ?

The Butlin Boy

WOW :shock: ! This is amazing news. I think Baloo has pretty much listed all of the main possibilities (Soarin', Indy, Toy Story Mania, Splash) and I think that the Ratatouille idea is fantastic as well. Apart from these, I'd imagine that Monsters Inc and The Little Mermaid dark rides from DCA are also strong contenders. Winnie the Pooh could be as well :)

Kristof

Owain: basically it means that the Walt Disney Company in Burbank would pay for new attractions in Paris to give our resort a push in the back, like Baloo said.

The whole story doesn't sound that far stretched.  Maybe it was linked to the surprise visits by Bob Iger and Jay Rasulo a couple of months ago?

Anyway, here's what La Roquine thinks which new additions we could get:

Quote from: "La Roquine"- 2009: Playhouse Disney show at WDS + a new show at Disneyland Park.

- 2010: Soarin' and another attraction.  He thinks of the Little Mermaid ride at either Fantasyland or Toon Studio.

- 2011: 2 or 3 small attractions and improvements at Studio Tram Tour with the creation of a new zone at WDS.

- 2012: Something big at Disneyland Park.  Although he hopes for Indiana Jones, he thinks they'll probably go for a new version of Splash Mountain.

Imagine if would get all of that...  :shock:

lil-shawn

these are really amazing news, it makes me so exited and curious,
i hope we get any news about the new additions very early.

maybe we get the news on the birtday of the park it would be funny  :P

Anthony

Quote from: "La Roquine"- 2009: Playhouse Disney show at WDS + a new show at Disneyland Park.

- 2010: Soarin' and another attraction.  He thinks of the Little Mermaid ride at either Fantasyland or Toon Studio.

- 2011: 2 or 3 small attractions and improvements at Studio Tram Tour with the creation of a new zone at WDS.

- 2012: Something big at Disneyland Park.  Although he hopes for Indiana Jones, he thinks they'll probably go for a new version of Splash Mountain.
Whoa. The rumours are even bigger than the blue sky thinkings of fans? :shock:  :lol:

2010 is ambitious for two big attractions like that. They'd have to start building early in 2008. I guess we'll have to see how the First Quarter 2008 results shape up....

I forgot about Studio Tram Tour, this has to be the one thing at WDS beyond Theater District that needs doing soon. A new zone at the park too? With 2 or 3 small attractions? I really don't know what to say... Can't even think of "2 or 3 small attractions" they could build at WDS, with a different theme to the rest of the park... Flat rides like Cars, walk-throughs like the Walt Disney Story?

smurfy74

omg how exciting, splash mountain, soarin and the little mermaid woohoooooooo, lets hope that these rumours are true and that they start building soon :D I would love a Emperors New Groove water ride over by indy, it would make adventure land more special as to me it lacks something despite having 2 great rides.

experiment627

Well, well... let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we?

The Walt Disney Company seems to  be determined to invest large sums into its theme parks (most notably Disney's California Adventure and Disney's Hollywood Studios) - so I find it plausible that the company might direkt some funds to its European and Asian resorts... Though one has to wonder how many ressources Disney can free up for its theme park division. (Which is quite cost intensive and the return on investment is pretty much just long-term...)

Anyway, the WDC might grant Euro Disney another credit line which would allow for an expansion of the resort. (Similar to what they did with Space Mountain in the early 90's.)

And now before starting to dream up new attractions, keep in mind that Euro Disney would probably use these funds also to finally realize other expansion on its site and not just within the berms of its theme parks. (The long planned convention centre comes to mind...)

Owain

Quote from: "raptor1982"Owain: basically it means that the Walt Disney Company in Burbank would pay for new attractions in Paris to give our resort a push in the back, like Baloo said.

Thanks for explaining it raptor, well if this is true then more great news for the resort :D

*cough* SPLASH ! *cough*  :P

-breeno-

Great news! :D   I hope we get some of those attractions that are rumoured.  A new zone in WDS, hmm :-k i wonder what it could be or is it the Theater District?  And STT improvements!  This is too good to be true, i know they are rumours but if we are to get just a few things (STT improvements, Soarin' and Splash Mountain are what i want the most) there will still be a big difference in DLRP :D
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

RnRCj

This all sounds quite good to me. I hope it's all true! :)

I was thinking that instead of Splash Mountain, they could build a new, original water ride. After watching Pocahontas the ther night, I thought of "Pocahontas' River Ride" :lol: It could have a normal Splash Mountain layout, but be themed to Pocahontas'. You sit in the logs and go past scenes from the movie :)  

I expect we won't get something original though and we'll get a Splash Mountain clone, which would still be great.

ightenhill

I find it plausable that this type of rethink in investment sourcing may occur at a time when major plans are afoot in other WDC parks.

Soarin it has to be admitted is a great crowd draw and as far as the studios is concerned it may help the crush situation by pulling people away from it which for some reason ToT does not seem to be doing. It would not be my choice though IMO its pretty dull and rather "wow, is that it..what was the fuss about". But its proven technology and a proven crowd draw for all ages.

Splash Mountain I have never understood for DLP even if it has appeared on blueprints or renderings. How on earth this would work in a park that spends some of its time in below freezing conditions baffles me. What would work is something similar but completely re imagineered with the Parisian Climate taken into consideration.

I rode Monsters inc on previews before it was fully finished and was not inpressed, a few weeks ago I rode it in its working stage and have to admit the storytelling had come together and it was better. Its probably nice and cheap in comparism to other things and would fit well into toon land, as would the roger rabbit ride from California.

With the new mermaid ride in development it makes sense that this would be rolled out over more than one park, maybe even in slightly different forms a la Nemo.

Personally I would like to see a new major show event to replace the current line up in Anamagique and Cinemagique being developed. I hope for a new hotel too and improvements to the transport hub; quality full service dining in the studios along with a new E ride attraction to hold the attendance to warrant this.

Im sure we will get something, it's not good business to lose momentum in 2009,10 and 11 if you started the ball rolling in 2007/8 in such spectacular fashion.
[size=85]WDW Florida July 91(way too hot), DL California June 92,DL California Sep 93, DLP France Feb 96, DLP France March 02, DLP France Christmas to NY 03, WDW Christmas Eve to NY 04, WDW Oct 05, DL California Christmas to NY 05, DLP March 06, WDW Nov 06,DLP Paris Christmas to NY 06, WDW April 07 DL California Nov 07, WDW Dec 07, DLP Mar 08, DLP Jul 08, DL Hong Kong Mar 09, WDW Oct 09,  DLP Xmas 09[/size]

anthony2k6

Quote from: "RnRCj"This all sounds quite good to me. I hope it's all true! :)

I was thinking that instead of Splash Mountain, they could build a new, original water ride. After watching Pocahontas the ther night, I thought of "Pocahontas' River Ride" :lol: It could have a normal Splash Mountain layout, but be themed to Pocahontas'. You sit in the logs and go past scenes from the movie :)  

I expect we won't get something original though and we'll get a Splash Mountain clone, which would still be great.

i like that idea.... wonder if its viable for it to be mainly indoor to ensure its popular and functional throughout the full year?

Jon

Wow thats fantastic!!!!!!
i hope it does happen. 1 ride i thought may be good, but to my knoledge has never been thought of at dlp? would b a version of test track themed around cars, which could possibly sweep down into the stt and have some form of scene about that! :?:  :)
If we don\'t have the key, we can\'t open whatever it is we don\'t have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don\'t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?