Wall-E statues in Discoveryland!

Started by Festival Disney, October 07, 2010, 11:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Festival Disney

You guys probably won't like this at all (neither do I) but look what's popped up!  :evil:

Goodbye Jules Verne... Hello yet more pixar

Source: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... t18529.htm
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Festival Disney

Actualy, now I think about it... the statues are good, very good! But the location, just WHY!

Will SM:M3 be a journey through the universe of trash on a giant cruise space ship?  :roll:

EDIT: i just read that it might be for a special event? but I'm not sure
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

davewasbaloo

At least it is more appropriate to the theme than Buzz is...
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Hopefully the statues are really for a special event. But I have to admit that they don't look cheap or tacky.

Nevertheless I don't want to see more Pixar or Disney characters in Discoveryland. Buzz is enough and shouldn't be there.

RockNRoller

I heard from a friend who's next door neighbour overheard a CM telling someone he'd never met before that Star Tours is coming out and were getting a WallE flight simulator, you know the bit in the film where he's being dragged by the rocket through the galaxy  :-"

Only kidding, actually I think thats a great statue and I hope they find a permanent home for it just not there.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

RnRCj

I am completely astounded by how ignorant DLP management are now. It's actually got to the point where I can't believe they're doing these things.

Sure the statues themselves look great, but you'd have to be stupid to plonk them down in the middle of Discoveryland and think they fit.

I'm seriously starting to believe DLP are making their decisions based on feedback from 5 year olds.

david

That looks great! about time they had something involving wall-e (he's a bit neglected in the park if you ask me) and i think the location looks fine. am i right that this is just round the corner of space mountain between it and videopolis? if so i have no problems with its location- that bit of the land (star tours through to eo) is supposed to be contemporary visions of the future anyway- in which case wall-e fits

sebassah

Love the statue and under current management I guess we just have to except the fact that Pixar will take over Disc.land. How sad it is cause I really miss the original SM and Les Visionarium...

pussinboots

I don't really get it. Since when do they put up statues of characters around the parks? And they're not really statues at all in the traditional sense of bronze or marble statues, but realistic figures, which must make it odd that they don't move.

Anthony

What a random little addition. Are they late for the New Generation Festival, or early for Magical Moments, or was it just decided that this area of Discoveryland needs something that isn't out of the '80s? It might be a simple way to coax a few more guests down that way. And like I seem to rate a lot of changes these days - "not awful".

In fact, something involving WALL-E would be a very welcome replacement for Captain EO in the long term, actually perfect next to Star Tours. Discoveryland has never been totally about Verne & co after all, like DisneySea's Mysterious Island, although that would be much more coherent...

pussinboots

I agree Wall-E might actually be a good fit for that area, frankly one of the very few marriages of a Disney park and a Pixar film that might just really work. Although to reinforce that NASA-type look might make the Railroad look even stranger puffing over it. Perhaps they should do what they did in California and advertise it as a "trip to the ancient past..."

But this statue... Still odd.

Aveen2008

I really like the statues, Wall-e is cool. It's just they are a bit odd and bold sitting there, but whats the use in complaining about it, we cant change what they are going to do.
Luv Aveen xoxo

Sulley

I like them, I'm just annoyed they were not there when I was in DLP last week :(

lauramumof3

yey!! we love walle and i dont think they look out of place............its disneyland! my son will love it when we go.
Been to DLP many times when I was little and now with my own children. First time 1992 and th last time was 2012! Going in  November 2017, so exited cant wait :-)

Festival Disney

The more I see the pics, the more I love the statues, no matter how out of place they are!

I hope that the (what looks like a) fragile joing that's holding up Eve can take a decent weight, as obviously some uncontrolled child will be climbing all over them at some point...
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day