Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop

Started by Anthony, August 20, 2010, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Official topic for Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, the new attraction in Toy Story Playland.

• Please now keep all discussion specific to this ride here.
  • For general discussion about Toy Story Playland, see the original topic.
Quick links:

Anthony

Here are some wait times I recorded this week, either on twitter or just from looking through photos (I don't walk around with a notebook, yet): :lol:

17th August - 10.39am: 45mins
17th August - 11.11am: 75mins
17th August - 11.21am: 90mins
17th August - 17.20am: 60mins
17th August - 18.20am: Temporary Pause; Eventually closed for the day

18th August - 13.15am: 70mins

19th August - 11.40am: 90mins

Yesterday, one of the parachutes was completely closed off:

And at around 11.45am, with Slinky closed and its queue emptied, the wait time hit a record 120mins:

Hopefully this is a one-off, the park was exceptionally busy.

-breeno-

Wow that's some impressive queue times (is Crush's Coaster jealous yet?).

Any idea why one of the parachutes was closed off yesterday?  Doesn't seem like the best of starts going on temporary pause then have to close a part down of it in the space of 2 days, but then those queue times disagree with me :P
Quote from: "Anthony"
Just curious is that as far back as the restraints go or is that before they're locked into place?  Them seem very far out but maybe it's just the angle we're viewing it from.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

There are individual seatbelts which are the main restraints. Each parachute seat has LED lights on the side which seem to indicate whether the seatbelts are correctly fastened or not (like Star Tours). Something which seemed to be causing problems is that you have to press this very small white button to release the seatbelt at the end, which a lot of people (including myself) didn't/don't see and so the CMs had to keep saying "push the white button!" over the tannoy at the end of each ride.

On the very first official ride, one set of 3 seats had to be emptied because the seatbelts weren't fastened (or registering as fastened) properly. The people did NOT look happy!

But despite these problems, it's a real smash hit. People walk in and point "wow, look at that!". It's quite mesmerising to watch, which has the unfortunate side effect of the area in front of the ride (and the whole area between Slinky Dog) being really congested as everyone stops to look. I loved the ride, like the clever sound effects, even quite impressed how well it blends into the kind of postwar 1950s Hollywood Blvd... not sure if that was intentional or not. I rushed onto the second ride after ribbon cutting because I had a feeling it'd have the longest queue, and only rode it that once. The props in the queue are nice, but the whole thing, the horrible cattlepen, the small area in front of the ride for those watching, is far too cramped. It feels like they made doubly, triply sure to give RC Racer a big queue and a large surrounding area and didn't even consider that this ride, especially having a very low height restriction, might actually be the one to suffer the real Crush.

claire2281

Those are quite some queue times. Although, of course, this is a peak season and there is a massive novelty factor at the mo. We'll get a better idea of how busy it truly is as time goes on.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Martyn

Them queue times aren't that bad really, considering its the summer holidays.

carrydee38

wow two hours is a long time to wait....but then it is early days yet...wonder will they put in a fast pass for that.  Dying to try it was looking at the you tube videos of the ride and it does look great

claire2281

That's a good point. I wonder if they're giving it time to settle and see how popular these rides are before thinking about testing a fastpass on any of them.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

davewasbaloo

Fastpass is very unlikely due to the low capacity of these attractions. They did run pilots on Crush and it showed FP was unusual. Other than a 100% FP only system, I would be very surprised to see it come to these attractions.
since 2001 (many before that)

disneylandparisgirl

However on Wednesday when I went on the queue time said 120mins when we entered but we only queued for an hour!  :D

Does anyone know why each one only loads 6? Everytime I saw it go up there was empty seats! Wouldn't it of been better to have 4 people each side?

The only thing that annoyed us about this ride was the queue area! It looked very nice until some parents decided the jeep was a climbing frame for their kids and the soldiers in the main bay were a photo spot which meant we were unable to take photos of it and I can see it being in very bad condition before long!  :(

We tried to tell a cast member but they didn't do much about it!  :x
August 1997 offsite
August 1998 Cheyenne
May 1999 Disneyland hotel
July 2004 Cheyenne
August 2007 offsite
August 2010 Santa Fe
August 2011 Santa Fe
September 2015 Sequoia Lodge

Anthony

Quote from: "disneylandparisgirl"Does anyone know why each one only loads 6? Everytime I saw it go up there was empty seats! Wouldn't it of been better to have 4 people each side?
I think I even saw empty seats on RC Racer! Why didn't they think about single rider lines? And you're right actually, was 6 people per parachute really as far as it could be pushed? There would have been enough space for 8, probably, although perhaps weight was an issue. An extra 12 people per cycle would really get things moving.

Quote from: "disneylandparisgirl"The only thing that annoyed us about this ride was the queue area! It looked very nice until some parents decided the jeep was a climbing frame for their kids and the soldiers in the main bay were a photo spot which meant we were unable to take photos of it and I can see it being in very bad condition before long!  :(
Argh I also saw this while walking past... How long before one of them decides to scale the lookout tower? :twisted:

disneylandparisgirl

Quote from: "Anthony"I think I even saw empty seats on RC Racer! Why didn't they think about single rider lines?

On RC Racer they were shouting for single riders but not on parachute!  :x

Quote from: "Anthony"disneylandparisgirl wrote:
The only thing that annoyed us about this ride was the queue area! It looked very nice until some parents decided the jeep was a climbing frame for their kids and the soldiers in the main bay were a photo spot which meant we were unable to take photos of it and I can see it being in very bad condition before long!  
Argh I also saw this while walking past... How long before one of them decides to scale the lookout tower?

Wouldn't surprise me but the parents were encouraging their kids to climb all over the queue area!  :roll:
August 1997 offsite
August 1998 Cheyenne
May 1999 Disneyland hotel
July 2004 Cheyenne
August 2007 offsite
August 2010 Santa Fe
August 2011 Santa Fe
September 2015 Sequoia Lodge

Pete's Dragon

In defence of parents everywhere, there's only so many times you can tell your young ones not to climb on the props/barriers/swing on the chains etc. during the course of a holiday before you get fed up repeating yourself. I usually last until 3.30pm on the 2nd day.
Whilst kids like DLP, expecting them to have the patience to queue like adults for over an hour is unreasonable.

P.S. Is it called Camp Emery after R. Lee Ermey ( or Lee Emery depending on the film), everyone's favourite drill sergent ???

davewasbaloo

Not quite, but it is a cool little link. Emeryville is where the hq of Pixar is located.
since 2001 (many before that)

Pete's Dragon

Strange little coincidence then.
It just goes to show it's a small world afterall. Everybody ' it's a small world afterall, it's a.....'
 :thumbs: