Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop

Started by Anthony, August 20, 2010, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malin

Extended shutdowns and long lines. I have to say I'm enjoying seeing these flawed rides already after a few days use start to cause headaches for the park. Another issue to address is that rides like Toy Soldiers Parachute Jump are just not built or designed to handle this amount of people, all year long. Since I have very little desire to ride any of these carnival rides, I think 120 minutes of wait time is deserved for anyone who thinks these additions are good for the park. At least you have those richly themed queue's to enjoy for 2 hours.  :thumbs:

Pete's Dragon

If they're queuing for 2 hours here, means less queues at ToT and RnRC (hopefully)  :thumbs:

RockNRoller

Quote from: "Malin"I think 120 minutes of wait time is deserved for anyone who thinks these additions are good for the park.
Now thats not nice, not really in the spirit of Disney. These rides have only just opened of course there are going to be teething problems as they start running full pelt for the first time but in fairness Ive been turned away from the que of some of the bigger classic rides because theyve gone down (even got evacuated from POTC, pretty cool) so the rides in TSPL aren't actually doing anything that hasn't happened before. Tell you what if they are still breaking down with a 2 hour que in a months time I'll metaphorically prostrate myself at your feet whilst you dance round singing "Told you so" Deal?
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

RiverRogue

Yes, breakdowns -- whether they're short or prolonged -- happen on any ride, and they're particularly numerous right after a ride's opening or even re-opening after a refurbishment. I still remember the end of BTM's major rehab a few years ago when the ride broke down and had to be evacuated four times on its busy opening saturday. When BTM's evacuated it generally means that it's down for an hour or two at least. The big difference is that for TSPL we have a bunch of people just waiting to point out its flaws... (which it has, obviously, but it's far from alone in that respect).

Malin

QuoteIf they're queuing for 2 hours here, means less queues at ToT and RnRC (hopefully)

Well thats my hope. Since I would love to have multiple rides on both attractions without having to wait.  :thumbs:

QuoteNow thats not nice, not really in the spirit of Disney.

You could make the same argument against Slinky, Parachutes and RC Racer too. That these rides are not nice and do not reflect the true spirit of Disney.  

QuoteThese rides have only just opened of course there are going to be teething problems as they start running full pelt for the first time but in fairness Ive been turned away from the que of some of the bigger classic rides because theyve gone down (even got evacuated from POTC, pretty cool) so the rides in TSPL aren't actually doing anything that hasn't happened before.

POTC is an technology advanced ride. Its to be expected that shutdowns are going to happen and that it will take time to restart the system. Toy Soldiers is a much smaller and far less advanced ride system. Any shutdowns shouldn't take an entire day to fix. And if it does take an entire morning to fix than I think we have spotted another flaw in this ride system. Any teething problems should of been sorted out before the land opened. But thanks to poor planning by Park Management these three rides were rushed to get them open for the end of Summer. Instead of giving Imagineering the chance to fix all the bugs. I want to predict that within the next couple of months one of these rides will be forced to close due to some major mechanical problem. Watch this space...

QuoteTell you what if they are still breaking down with a 2 hour que in a months time I'll metaphorically prostrate myself at your feet whilst you dance round singing "Told you so" Deal?

QuoteThe big difference is that for TSPL we have a bunch of people just waiting to point out its flaws... (which it has, obviously, but it's far from alone in that respect).

This is not about bragging rights. Do you think I want to see people stuck waiting in line for 120 minutes only for the ride to have to stop. I'll admit like many others, these rides are not my cup of tea. But it doesn't mean I don't want other people to enjoy them. A satisfied Guests means a more likely chance of higher purchases on merchandise and a more likely chance these folk will make a return trip soon. Which will have a positive impact on revenue and more of a chance we can have longer park hours and more entertainment.

JelleP

RT @rdvid: Finally a single riders line at Parachute Drop in #Disneyland! #WDS Ive been in 5 minutes , 2 Times on THE parachute! :D it Goes very fast!"
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Disneydavid

Thanks for retweeting that here :D

Its really true , you can have 2 complete times on the Parachute Drop in just 5 minutes! if you are going alone :o!

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

Disneydavid

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

Columbiad

Not sure whether anyone ha noticed this - but the plane lying in the grass next to the Parachute Drop sign is called "Blue Sky". A possible referance to Imagineering? :)

I'll try and find a picture.

Martyn

I hope they make a more permanent sign......!

johnd331

Soo... the people that have already mastered this thing, what can they tell us about the view from up there?

We know the designers of the original park did many tricks to avoid people peeking over the berm and into backstage areas, since, as Walt would have called it: that's a bad show and shoud be avoided! We've talked about it before here as far as I can remember and at least some of us were a little bit affraid this ride would take you a bit too far behind the magic.

So, how good or bad is the real thing? Do you get the full view of all the things the original creators did their best to hide, or did they somehow manage to get your view focussed on "the magic"?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "johnd331"We know the designers of the original park did many tricks to avoid people peeking over the berm and into backstage areas, since, as Walt would have called it: that's a bad show and shoud be avoided! We've talked about it before here as far as I can remember and at least some of us were a little bit affraid this ride would take you a bit too far behind the magic.

Well to be fair, at Disneyland and Walt Disney world you can see back stage on the monorails, and also more so on the now yesterland attraction of the Skyway that ran (in DL's case) for nearly 40 years.
since 2001 (many before that)

johnd331

QuoteWell to be fair, at Disneyland and Walt Disney world you can see back stage on the monorails, and also more so on the now yesterland attraction of the Skyway that ran (in DL's case) for nearly 40 years.

Yes, that's true. Also the Matterhorn was completely unthemed from the inside for quite some time. But the Matterhorn got themed from the inside, the next park they built got a complex underground tunnel system, just to improve the illusion. If you look at recent parks like Disneyland Paris and yet moreso in DisneySea, the illusion is taken to the next level. I would like them to keep or even improve on that level. Why? Because that's THE difference between Disney and Six Flags. Disney sells experiences, Six Flags sells thrills.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "johnd331"If you look at recent parks like Disneyland Paris and yet moreso in DisneySea, the illusion is taken to the next level. I would like them to keep or even improve on that level. Why? Because that's THE difference between Disney and Six Flags. Disney sells experiences, Six Flags sells thrills.

And there lies my main concern to the resort's latest additions  :D  :evil:
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "johnd331"
QuoteWell to be fair, at Disneyland and Walt Disney world you can see back stage on the monorails, and also more so on the now yesterland attraction of the Skyway that ran (in DL's case) for nearly 40 years.

Yes, that's true. Also the Matterhorn was completely unthemed from the inside for quite some time. But the Matterhorn got themed from the inside, the next park they built got a complex underground tunnel system, just to improve the illusion. If you look at recent parks like Disneyland Paris and yet moreso in DisneySea, the illusion is taken to the next level. I would like them to keep or even improve on that level. Why? Because that's THE difference between Disney and Six Flags. Disney sells experiences, Six Flags sells thrills.

That's so true.

I really like thrill rides and so we had to go to Cedar Point in Ohio. It's the best place for thrill rides, but they aren't themed at all. That's the Disney difference. You are transported to another world. And nobody did it better than Disney until a few years ago. Now the others like Universal do better whle Disney is falling behind.