Photos Magiques DLP news report: 06-07 June 2009

Started by Kristof, June 08, 2009, 02:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Photos Magiques DLP news report: 06-07 June 2009

A quick look at what's new at Disneyland Paris!

Disneyland Park

Plastic Surgery
We'll start our photo tour with Mr. Smee who got some plastic surgery!  (See a before photo here).

Main Street Motors
The Esso sign on the Main Street Motors gas pump has been replaced by a generic brand.

Still burning
We reported last week that the fire tower near POTC was burning, it was still working this weekend, as well as all four torches on Fort Comstock.

Water
The bamboo pipes connected to the drinking fountains next to La Cabane des Robinson were actually transporting water!  The pipes were originally part of the water system of the Treehouse.

Missing boat
The boat on La Mer des Bretteurs has been taken out.

Walt Disney Studios Park

Themed Tent
The ugly tent located backstage between Cinémagique & Playhouse Disney Live on Stage has received yellow painted walls to have it blend in better with the rest.

Television Building refurb
The scaffolding is still up on the old Television Tour building.  We noticed through a crack some construction work was going on.

Disney Blockbuster Café
Work at Backlot Express continues with one room being painted black and another receiving red details.

Disney Village

Starbucks
Photos from the Starbucks façade.

Annette's Diner new take out menu
The best food deal you could get on Disney property has been changed.  Annette's Diner has updated their take out menu by lowering the price with 1 euro, but offering a lesser quality product instead.  The basic burger is a bun with a piece of meat and tiny bit of sauce with fries and a can of soda.

That was it for today! Discuss...  :wink:

Willow

Yay, new Mr Smee. I commented on here how great the new American Version looks, I'm glad he has arrived over here. Such a big improvement.

Looks like lots of little changes still going on at the resort. Keep it up DLRP!

Joseph Carter

I agree Smee has alot more "Character" now!  :D
Its the little things like fire lamps and running water etc that make that park so special. Cant wait to see it again in a couple months.
//http://www.disneymanpodcast.com
Check out the Disneyman Podcast!!! Its disney fun for everyone!

Alpop

Great photos there Kristof. It's starting me to want go go back again this year.

RnRCj

Starbucks is looking good, as is the Pirates part of the Blockbuster Café (not so keen on the bright red of the HSM part right now). Nice to know the Television Studios refurb is actually coming along. I'm intrigued by the construction work, there's always that small part of me that hopes for something special! Great to see all the torches working as well. Is this the new effects department at work? What about the ones at the Bazaar, Indy, and the Keelboats (if you saw them)?

Thanks for the update.

giorgio1712

Loving the torches, its the little things like that that really excite me, it adds a lot of character and makes it more real.

Is there a date for when Starbucks is supposed to open?

EmilieK

The new Mr. Smee looks so much better and please please please let Starbucks be open in three weeks time [-o<

davewasbaloo

Thanks for sharing. It always makes me soooooo happy when the little effects are working, they are really the Disney difference.

Smee looks interesting (will take a little getting used to).

Are Esso no longer partners with DLP?

And Backlot Express, thanks for sharing. I'll withhold judgement until we see the finished article.
since 2001 (many before that)

Kristof

Quote from: "RnRCj"What about the ones at the Bazaar, Indy, and the Keelboats (if you saw them)?

The ones at the Bazaar were working, the ones in Adventureland and throughout Frontierland however were not.

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Are Esso no longer partners with DLP?

Esso dropped out quite some time ago, but the sign at Main Street Motors was still up long after it.  So I was surprised to see they finally changed it...

(The original Essso sign can be seen here.)

The Butlin Boy

Thanks for the update Kristof, it's so good to see all of the little effects working :)

Was the fake tree still on the hill by the castle?

It's interesting to see the new Smee around the parks, I wonder why they decided to replace the old one, and whether he has been visiting any of the resorts yet as well? :wink:

Starbucks is looking good too, but what are all of those white blobs over the building? The new colours aren't coming off already are they? :?

I hope you had a good trip Kristof, and thanks again :)

Anthony

And what's the latest on the gold Christmas bow on Main Street? C'mon, that's the only reason we get so excited about these updates! :lol:

I'll do the traditional thing...

Good
- Very impressed how soon Mr Smee's new look arrived over here! He didn't really need it, but he does look better.
- Torches - amazing, and hopefully to continue for the rest of the Summer
- Starbucks still looking smart, though I'm curious what all those white marks are. And doesn't it look like the entrance doors are also far, far higher now (almost floor-to-ceiling)? Good move, it was a little dark in there before.

Middling
- I wonder if there's a reason the side of Disney Channel has the themed tarp yet the much more visible front doesn't? Looks like concrete is about to be laid behind there, strange...
- Good to see something done to the tent, but I still wonder how much it would really cost to build a Fantasyland-style hill/berm there with trees, since they've no plans to touch that space for probably 5 years.
- Great to see water running through the bamboo at the treehouse; shame to see it coming from a little tacked-on hosepipe thing, rather than the whole system being revived.

Not so good
- The replacement for the Esso sign at Main Street Motors looks a little like it was designed using WordArt on Microsoft Publisher. The "White Rose" font seems wrong, as does the wording of "Motors Oils" - seems like a bad French-English translation. Oh well, at least it wasn't just completely removed like the ones at Last Chance Gas in Studio 1.
- €8.50 for a cheap burger and a tiny drink is definitely not good, but still quite cheap compared to some of the parks' counter service prices.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Anthony"- €8.50 for a cheap burger and a tiny drink is definitely not good, but still quite cheap compared to some of the parks' counter service prices.

That is not much more than McDonald's in France now. I was shocked when a large extra value meal was €6.90 the other week. And the Annette version is much nicer.
since 2001 (many before that)

WDI1992

1: yes, the plastic tree next to the castle is STILL there... believe it or not  :roll:  
2: the Annette's burger used to be nicer... but was in fact quite crappy, the take out was of lower quality then Mc Donald's I'm sad to say...
3: not moaning about the many refurbs though!  :wink:
Ne cessez jamais de croire ... et, imaginez un peu! Parce que, c\'est là où les rêves deviennent réalité  

and always remember, if you can dream it, you can do it!
www.ResortDreams.net

Aveen2008

thanks for posting the pics Kristof!

It's kind of funny about Mr Smee, why does he get the makeover moreso than any other character though? I wish the sherif of Nottingham got a makeover I think his outfit especially is awful, it looks like a skirt or something..it could be better! :roll:

I think the Starbucks looks good too, nice natural look to it! =D>

I am sad about annettes I loved getting a take out from there!! I hope it's still edible! :?
Luv Aveen xoxo

Kristof

Quote from: "Anthony"Oh well, at least it wasn't just completely removed like the ones at Last Chance Gas in Studio 1

Oops, forgot to upload that picture...

:wink: