Goofy's Summer Camp (Summer 2009)

Started by Kristof, May 07, 2009, 11:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Photos of the stage by Mouetto on DCP, from Friday's "rehearsals":

Looks great! Love how the back is almost completely open, no need to pretend it's a jungle this year. The stage in the middle is the musicians I suppose, be interesting to see which ones they are.

Also note the (much smaller than Pocahontas) waterfall just next to the cave on the right.

However, the show itself isn't getting the best reviews so far...

MagicKenny

31 second spoiler here!
[spoiler:2c46y45y]Preview of Goofy's Summer Camp
[youtube:2c46y45y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kKjue55i0[/youtube:2c46y45y][/spoiler:2c46y45y]
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm

davewasbaloo

More proof it seems that Disney want there entertainment purely for the under 8's.

Shame, as I love the band playing, hope they are still on at Cowboy cookout too.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Hah, 31 seconds and BOOM - panned by davewasbaloo. :wink:

Well here I go...

- The live music sounds fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.

- Oh now come on, what on earth are those dancers doing? :-s

- Seems we've got another show with character voices entirely (?!) in French and a non-English English host. It's sounding a little shrill and schoolteacher-ish.

- When people think "let's go and see this show", don't they expect to go and watch a show, not be forced military-style to dance and HAVE FUN? Tarzan had one of the best interactive scenes of all, with the pots and pans for kids to make noise with. Fun, without the desperate shouting.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it, to see how all this is wrapped together... could there be a story in there, or has DLRP entertainment forgotten what those are this year? We shall wait and see...

davewasbaloo

Sorry Ant, you are right, it is not a full representation. However, the choreography and voices give a good glimpse of what to expect. Tarzan and Lion King, Finding Nemo and Aladdin, even Beauty and the Beast and Mickey's Winter Wonderland (because of the skating) are all attractions worth dedicating an hour or two of a day in the park for. In some of those cases, one could argue they are worth the price of admission.

I fear this one is not in that league. Does everything have to be? No, but there are other venues that could host stuff on this scale.

Maybe I am wrong for having high expectations of Disney. I suppose a lifetime of obsession does that to you. Clearly I have wasted my life.

I even shocked my wife saying I am thinking about selling my Disney collection.

davewasbaloo

FWIW, I have also gone on record saying I did not think the hub show as as bad as everyone has said, and I widely praised the Mary Poppins show, as well as the TAMTAMS and Country Bands. I also highly praised the Stars and Cars event.

RnRCj

Okay... well I like the band, but the rest of it is just completely weird. All the shouting and screeching is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Quote from: "Anthony"- Oh now come on, what on earth are those dancers doing? :-s
I had that exact look on my face :-s, followed by :shock:, and finally  =;.

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"
Quote from: "Anthony"- Oh now come on, what on earth are those dancers doing? :-s
It's getting kinda funny the more times I watch it, with the leader doing the stupid roundup kinda dance at the end. If it's intentionally comical, then that's no bad thing.

What's the song they're dancing to anyway? I don't recognise it from anywhere, no google results for the lyrics. Major plus points if it's new music!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "RnRCj"

Ditto! What the hell is that holding-hands-through-our-legs-and-turning-in-a-circle thing all about? :roll:  :lol:

Malin

QuoteSeems we've got another show with character voices entirely (?!) in French and a non-English English host. It's sounding a little shrill and schoolteacher-ish.

We only heard Goofy and Dale talk so hopely Tress MacNeille has been called in to provide the voices for Daisy Duck and Chip.

From the 31 seconds I watched I much prefer this to the rest of the Mickey's Magical Party entertainment at the park. Is it good enough to replace Tarzan, well the verdict is still open on this, but I would say probarely not.    

QuoteWhat's the song they're dancing to anyway? I don't recognise it from anywhere, no google results for the lyrics. Major plus points if it's new music!

Its certainly not an original song and I know its being used at Tokyo Disneyland for the dinner show Horseshoe Roundup. But I think the lyrics have been altered. Here is a video of the TDL version [youtube:32mrvujx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15o7c95tTWM[/youtube:32mrvujx]

littlemermaid83

:shock:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Captain Pan

Awesome! Bullseye! Although he looks weird stood up on his hind legs dancing...

Alright back to topic...

Umm... Well... Can someone call the choreographers back in, cause that looked a mess! That used to be one of the stupid things a school DJ made you do when you did the Conga in a School Disco... And its a humiliating "dance" sequence!

Hopefully someone can close the gate before the Horse completes its bolt and turns Goofy's Summer camp into a very disasterous Scout Camp!

Anthony

Thanks for the video Malin. That show looks quite charmingly fun and in-keeping with the theme.

Quote from: "Malin"We only heard Goofy and Dale talk so hopely Tress MacNeille has been called in to provide the voices for Daisy Duck and Chip.
I was hoping the same, but... No! ALL the characters speak ONLY in French.

There are some (kinda shaky) videos here: http://www.disneytheque.com/article-10.html

If anything the earlier 31 second clip was being kind to the show. I'm pretty disappointed. It begins with this excuciating scene where the leader arrives and forces everyone to stand and learn dance moves before the characters even arrive, and then there seem to a few fun scenes like a tug of war, before the people dressed as scouts apparently walk into the audience and point and pull out adults to go up on stage and make idiots of themselves. I thought Disney ususally let people volunteer themselves for that? The whole scout club theme is a bit strange and quite distant from the Cowboy/Western theme Europeans actually find exciting.

It's definitely "holiday camp"-themed entertainment, that's for sure.

And so much for a show that fits in Frontierland - look out for Goofy's method of arrival... Was it really "A Cowboy Needs a Golfcart"..?

never2old

Oh dear. And this is what replaces Tarzan??

To be fair to them, it does look like the kind of show that could be fun to watch live, if the atmosphere is right (and if you lose consciousness in the bit with the animal noises  ](*,) ). I will reserve my final judgement until (and if) I see it for myself, but I'm not too sorry I'll be definitely not seeing it this year.

With a bit of luck it won't come back next year?

zanderstarz

Quote from: "never2old"With a bit of luck it won't come back next year?

There wont be a theatre for it to come back to next yeah, so you're in luck!

Back to the show...Daisy still says nothing? Was her rather seductive "good bye" she said at the end of Enchanted Candlabration the last we shall ever hear of her? This saddens me. But Tic and Tac en Francais pleases me greatly! is this a first?? The show as a whole, is very cute and very well put together, its nice and original and a great sit down and relax kinda thing, especially for the busy hot summer season. However, personally im not all for this audience participation malarchy that DLP seems to be doing this year, but the guests all seem to be enjoying it. Kinda think though, Goofy's Summer Camp is aimed a little too much for the younger audiences, which is a shame but im a sucker for all things cute so i'm quite happy to sit there and enjoy it :)
~ just like we dreamed it ~