Disneyland Resort Paris changes back to Disneyland Paris

Started by RnRCj, April 11, 2009, 12:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Just another example of the "new" logo in use:

http://www.disney.co.uk/wdtc/disneyinte ... ay09/dlrp/

Alexander

I like to see the old logo and name again, brings back fond memories from our first two visits.
Actually I never got used to "resort".
Life is different.

Anthony

How is the gradual removal of "Resort" going?

Here's a weird one: in this email they just sent out, rather than use the new logo they've used the previous one and edited out the word "Resort". I'm sure doing that made sense for some reason or other...

http://drp-s.neolane.net/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c ... 34631dfadf

Unfortunate to feature Eurostar on there today.

Martyn

Why did they remove the 'resort'? Seems a waste of time and moey to me.

Adding 'resort' to the name in the first place was probably down to some pyschological thing as it sounds more of a holiday destination, where 'Disneyland Paris' just sounds like a theme park.

Anthony

It was added in 2002 when the Studios opened to signify it was now a 2-park resort.

They've changed it back because "Resort" never translated well and was never spoken. It was just a dud word, diluting the strong brand of "Disneyland Paris". In any case, it's probably not much of a waste of time and money because they're using the same logo as before and aren't actively replacing the old Resort logo anywhere. It'll just disappear gradually as and when things need replacing.

The only thing I don't like about all this is that the two-colour version of the logo they're using now. Example: http://www2.disney.co.uk/wdtc/disneyint ... an2010/40/

Doesn't it look dated already?

pussinboots

I still think it's odd how the French seem to have the most difficulty with the word when the very word is of French origin. Yes, "ressort" has gone through somewhat of a semantic change since it was borrowed, as explained on the French Wikipedia even...

"Le terme anglais resort (qui correspond au mot français "ressort", avec aux XIIIe-XVIe siècle le sens de rebondir, de se retirer, de s'enfuir, ou celui judiciaire qu'il a conservé aujourd'hui[1].) est un mot d'ancien français passé en langue anglaise au XIVe siècle[2]. En anglais, le mot a le sens du français "recours", avant d'entrer dans des expressions comme places of public resort, "lieu fréquenté par des gens" [...]"

But surely they should instinctively feel the connection to "sortir," meaning to leave. In any case, it's used by so many global hotel chains that they might as well just accept it as a new word, as the rest of Europe has.

Anyway... Yes, it appears to be a very laid-back name change this time.

CafeFantasia

So the whole resort is now called "Disneyland Paris", right? So "DLP" for short.

And Disneyland is still "Disneyland Park", right? So "DLP" for short.

And the Studios is still called "Walt Disney Studios Park", right? So "WDSP" for short.