Thunder Mesa Riverboats at Halloween?

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, January 21, 2010, 08:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPlazaPerson

I remember the river boats or river boat  :?  had a Grim Reaper looking "thing" on the front of it. Does anyone know what this was? Have any pictures of it? Or know if it is still like this at Halloween?

Thanks!

Anthony

I don't know if it ever had an official name, but you're right. Here it is:

It (famously?) caused some problems though. I seem to remember the braking system on the Mark Twain jamming up as the ghost was pulling into the riverboat landing, or just the whole thing getting stuck there, meaning everyone had to climb out the front of the boat over the sides!

Much better than the weird "Mummy Cruise Lines" from the years before though, which looked like the hotel cleaners had gone on strike and thrown the bedsheets everywhere in protest:

I think the last season of the ghost was 2004 or 2005? Definitely wasn't there in 2006.

luke85

Awesome pics! I've never even heard about these Halloween additions, the grim reaper figure looks really creepy, very effective. Much better than the cheesy Pumpkin people in my opinion.

CentralPlazaPerson

Thanks for the info Anthony. :)

I always remember that grim reaper looking thing. It was extra spooky at night when Thunder Mesa was lit up.
Aww the good ol' days!

I also remember an orange crain raised above Thunder Mesa which had the pumpkin men on it. It was sort of like a washing line. Is it still there? I haven't been at DLP during Halloween for a long time. :lol:  :oops:

mouetto

Quote from: "Anthony"I don't know if it ever had an official name, but you're right.
In French, it was called "L'inquisiteur", maybe "the inquisitor" in English.

You can watch it in this clip:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4n97y ... oween-2004

This teaser was for the 2004 Halloween Season but the pictures comes from the 2003 Halloween season.

dagobert

The first picture looks really creepy. Why did Disney stop doing this at Halloween?

mehdi5

Quote from: "dagobert"The first picture looks really creepy. Why did Disney stop doing this at Halloween?
DLP went to the more family-friendly pumpkin men Halloween, which is a shame though, i really liked how they used to do Halloween in the old days at DLP, no pumpkin men but the more creepy stuff :D Shame that's long gone now though :(

mouetto

Quote from: "dagobert"The first picture looks really creepy. Why did Disney stop doing this at Halloween?
Maybe it didn't fit any more with the storyline of the Halloween Festival in 2005.

I found the old 2004 Halloween press release:

QuoteCATCH PUMPKIN FEVER DURING DISNEY'S HALLOWEEN FESTIVAL!

Europe's leading tourist destination, Disneyland Resort Paris, celebrates its annual Halloween Festival from October 1 through 31 2004. During this scary time, Disneyland Park will offer a spook-tacular range of Halloween entertainment to make the whole family "scream" with laughter.

Various Halloween creatures will take over Main Street USA, which is aptly renamed "Spooky Street" for the duration of Halloween. Visitors to the Park will discover the change is not only in the name, it's in the appearance too! Along with countless surprises, there's an opportunity to blend right in with special Halloween scary hair and makeover sessions that run through out the day.

Returning with renewed force, the Pumpkin Men will make a second attempt to completely repaint Disneyland Park in their favourite colour: orange! And for the first time, the story of the famous Pumpkin Men will be revealed. Guests will discover the true story of the Pumpkin Men in the PumpkinWood Forest at the heart of HalloweenLand. This year, the Pumpkin Men have the support of the Pumpkin Policemen who will be keeping unruly guests under control.

Frontierland in the Disneyland Park is transformed into a spooky themed HalloweenLand - a mysterious place covered with eerie pumpkins, frequented by witches and roaming zombies. Guests are invited to board the ominous Phantom Cruise Line...at their own risk and will able to experience a wide variety of other Halloween entertainment including the daily Disney Villain Parade.

During the Halloween season, prices start at £273 per adult and £137 per child for a classic package staying at Disney's Hotel Santa Fe. The price is based on 2 adults and 2 children (aged 3-11 years inclusive), sharing a family room and includes two nights accommodation, continental breakfast, direct return travel on Eurostar and unlimited access to both Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park with a three day park hopper ticket. For further details and reservations, call 00 44 (0) 8705 030303 or visit the website at http://www.disneylandparis.com

CentralPlazaPerson

Anthony? Kristof? Is there any way of changing this whole topic title to Spooky Past Times in Frontierland or something along those lines?  :D

Anthony

Title still seems to fit.

The cost of keeping something like that properly maintained and getting it into and out of the water must have been quite high. It probably also didn't return because of the problems I mentioned. In fact wasn't it taken out of service halfway through the season or something?

CentralPlazaPerson

Do you reckon that Grim Reaper thing is still in the backstage areas of the parks?

mouetto

Here is the making of the inquisitor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3Jjp641DI

Enjoy