The Wonderful World of Disney Christmas Tree

Started by Owain, September 06, 2008, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burntsienna

You've never seen them!
I'm more surprised about you never seeing the original...though I'm happy you have it on DVD...yet that just makes the whole you not seeing it a bit confusing haha!  :mrgreen:
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

Javey74

I find it hard to get through 93 Disney Films, it's a time and work thing I suppose.. :roll:

burntsienna

Yeah...I can see how that could be a problem lol!
I think you should move Pocahontas up your viewing list though *nods* its deffinately a must =]

Clarebelle

I'm sure it would be John Smith on the tree Javey as hardly anyone knows that she didnt marry him! I even heard someone FROM KING'S LYNN say that they didnt even know she was a real person!!!

John Smith was an apprentice of Thomas Sandell, the owner of Thoresby College in King's Lynn and When he was captured by Indians he was saved by 11year old Pocahontas. Pocahontas then went on to marry John Rolfe of Heacham, Norfolk. In 1615 their son Thomas was born (pictured)

This is an engraving by dutch artist Simon Van De Passe is the only known depiction of Pocahontas done during her lifetime, it now hangs in King's Lynn Guild hall

Hopefully I will cover this further in the "where I live..." topic
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

burntsienna

I was shocked when I was talking to my sister about it and she thought that Pocahontas married John Smith.

Quote from: "Clarebelle"John Smith was an apprentice of Thomas Sandell, the owner of Thoresby College in King's Lynn and When he was captured by Indians he was saved by 11year old Pocahontas. Pocahontas then went on to marry John Rolfe of Heacham, Norfolk. In 1615 their son Thomas was born (pictured)

I knew she didn't marry John Smith but didn't know all this great info! Thanks for sharing Clarebelle!  :mrgreen:

Javey74

Thanks for that interesting info Clarebelle, I knew the story was based on a true one, but there were other tell tale signs as the figure on the decoration has brown hair and not blonde as John Smith has, plus he's wearning green trousers which John Rolfe wears in the second one.. :)

I personally think more women will know about who she really married, as it's not a man thing this marriage lark, a lot couldn't care less in my opinion...It could just as easy of been Joe Bloggs :lol:  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Masamune

:D I have a Tink tree topper as well! :P Yes, someone will definatly have to make a Christmas decorations thread when the time comes.

:o And wow Clare, thanks for all that info. Honestly, I didn't know that John Rolfe was real. I thought he was just a new character that they made up for the sequel.

Clarebelle

hehe no he was a real live living person

MinniesBestPal

Psst...only 95 days to go!

Clarebelle

until Christmas?

not long to convince myself to buy! hehe

Javey74

Quote from: "MinniesBestPal"Psst...only 95 days to go!
I agree this year if flying out... :shock:  :shock:

2008, the year of an idiot Prime Minister and Recession... :evil:

burntsienna

WOW! only 95!
I'd better start buying peoples presents soon!
I know what I'm getting everyone so it should be an easy task this year =]

Clarebelle

I know what I'm getting people ... Gift vouchers lol no I really have to start thinking about it soon!

MinniesBestPal

I'm making most of my presents!  :lol:

Masamune

:o I've already started thinking about what I wanna get people. I need to put some of my wages aside each month so I've got spending money for DLRP, so I wanna try and get pressies sorted ASAP. :P