Empire State Club... The pictures

Started by speedpacket, August 23, 2008, 09:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayna62

Davewasbaloo: This is one of the reasons we stay in the Davy Crockett, it is more expensive than the Santa Fe or Cheyenne but we do get a bit of flexibility with our eating habits. We had a magical stay in the DLH in April 2007, got made the Crystal Family, had roses, champagne, wine, chocolates in the room and we couldn't fault it - if every stay at the more expensive establishments were as good then no problems. Our meal at the Magical World of Tinkerbell show at the NPBC was less than I'd serve at a soup kitchen, the description was something along the lines of "gastronomic delights......." It really was disgusting - most of my gripes are about food really, I can understand the need for cutbacks but when it takes over the very basics of quality then that's where it becomes a problem. It's starting to make money now, I hope they don't keep taking the quality away. Anyway, we're making a traditional xmas dinner in our cabin at DC on xmas day so if yer feeling hungry and wanna pop in, i'll tell u the cabin number soon as I know ;)

Samninetysix

I think she meant to say "Roast Chicken, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets << (ask if you dont know) and gravy" - I'm most likely cooking the bloody thing anyway :D

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Jayna62"Davewasbaloo: This is one of the reasons we stay in the Davy Crockett, it is more expensive than the Santa Fe or Cheyenne but we do get a bit of flexibility with our eating habits.

It's why we bought a week in Marriott Vacation Club, but we swapped our week this year for a trip to California, hence staying on site a few times. truth be told, I much prefer the Marriott to virtually all the DLP hotels (I will hold judgement on the DLH until next week).
since 2001 (many before that)

speedpacket

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Jayna62"Davewasbaloo: This is one of the reasons we stay in the Davy Crockett, it is more expensive than the Santa Fe or Cheyenne but we do get a bit of flexibility with our eating habits.

It's why we bought a week in Marriott Vacation Club, but we swapped our week this year for a trip to California, hence staying on site a few times. truth be told, I much prefer the Marriott to virtually all the DLP hotels (I will hold judgement on the DLH until next week).
Please let us know how your trip turns out.
I'm still considering booking on site, but just not sure what hotel, and am still hesitating to do so, afraid of having to endure the lack of service again.

I'm actually just thinking about booking at HNY again, print the email, and prove them that their response does not match with the actual service level...

Or I'll make reservations at the radisson sas :)
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "speedpacket"Or I'll make reservations at the radisson sas :)

I've decided to go for a quick Christmas visit on the 13th December and have decided to give the Radisson a go this time............depending on what it's like will determine where I stay for my summer 2009 visit.
I'm staying for 2 nights in a standard room and it's costing £204, but breaky is not included. Another advantage is that I've booked using my credit card.......so I don't pay until I get there.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Disney Resorts.

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "speedpacket"Or I'll make reservations at the radisson sas :)

I've decided to go for a quick Christmas visit on the 13th December and have decided to give the Radisson a go this time............depending on what it's like will determine where I stay for my summer 2009 visit.
I'm staying for 2 nights in a standard room and it's costing £204, but breaky is not included. Another advantage is that I've booked using my credit card.......so I don't pay until I get there.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Disney Resorts.

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

Medici

Quote from: "speedpacket"I'm actually just thinking about booking at HNY again, print the email, and prove them that their response does not match with the actual service level...

Hey Speedpacket,

we are going to the HNY on the same date as you would like to go. Arriving on 14th of December and we will be there for 4 nights!

I´m a little bit afraid now, because two friends of mine are going with us for their first time. Hopefully the HNY will not turn into a nightmare!

Do you have some tips, how to get a good room? Can you give them a call before arrival or can we send an Email? Does that help?

It´ll be my 10th time at Disneyland Paris and we also celebrating our examinations, so maybe we can request a newly refurbished room with a nice view?

Or can you also ask for it during Check In? I guess that this could be too late, because the rooms will be already arranged to the bookings...

Summary: What is the best procedure getting a "new room" with lake view?

Thanks so much for your help in advance,
Mathias
[size=85]09/94 - SL
07/95 - NBC
07/96 - NBC
03/99 - WDW - All Star Sports
09/02 - HNY
09/03 - NBC
08/04 - Davy Crockett
08/05 - Holiday Inn & Dream Castle
11/05 - Holiday Inn
02/06 - WDW - Pop Century
08/06 - Davy Crockett & Dream Castle
11/06 - Holiday Inn
06/07 - Dream Castle
01/08 - Explorers Hotel
12/08 - HNY
03/09 - WDW - Pop Century
07/09 - Disneyland Hotel[/size]

Medici

Quote from: "speedpacket"I'm actually just thinking about booking at HNY again, print the email, and prove them that their response does not match with the actual service level...

Hey Speedpacket,

we are going to the HNY on the same date as you would like to go. Arriving on 14th of December and we will be there for 4 nights!

I´m a little bit afraid now, because two friends of mine are going with us for their first time. Hopefully the HNY will not turn into a nightmare!

Do you have some tips, how to get a good room? Can you give them a call before arrival or can we send an Email? Does that help?

It´ll be my 10th time at Disneyland Paris and we also celebrating our examinations, so maybe we can request a newly refurbished room with a nice view?

Or can you also ask for it during Check In? I guess that this could be too late, because the rooms will be already arranged to the bookings...

Mathias
[size=85]09/94 - SL
07/95 - NBC
07/96 - NBC
03/99 - WDW - All Star Sports
09/02 - HNY
09/03 - NBC
08/04 - Davy Crockett
08/05 - Holiday Inn & Dream Castle
11/05 - Holiday Inn
02/06 - WDW - Pop Century
08/06 - Davy Crockett & Dream Castle
11/06 - Holiday Inn
06/07 - Dream Castle
01/08 - Explorers Hotel
12/08 - HNY
03/09 - WDW - Pop Century
07/09 - Disneyland Hotel[/size]

speedpacket

Quote from: "Medici"

Hey Speedpacket,

Mathias
Hey Mathias,

Just read this post from you again - sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...
How was your stat at HNY now?

David.
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

StuartC

Thank you for your posts regarding the Empire Club rooms.  Ive booked a Lakeside room at HNY but called today to enquire about an upgrade to ESC.  Got quoted £600 (you do not get shareholder discount on upgrades).  This is for a ESC LakeView room as apparently the normal ESC rooms with two beds are all booked.  From your experiences i think that ill give it a miss and perhaps esquire when i check in.  That way ill be able to take a look at the room before parting with my hard earned money.  As a regular visitor im going to investigate the Marriot option as it sounds a great alternative to the very expensive Disney Hotel experience.

amanda08

I am a great fan of the DLH, but on our last visit in January, due to the number of us going, we stayed in the Marriott Villas. Wow!! They are really great, only a few mins drive from dl. We are staying there again for our next trip in May. Although I miss the closeness and convenience of the dlh, after staying in the marriott once, I find it now pretty hard to justify the cost of the dlh! to give you an idea, 5 nights in the marriot is costing me 520 euro (about 420 pound) thats probably 4 times cheaper then dlh (although we are annual passholders)

artoises

I didn't read the entire thread just the first few posts but by what I read I can tell you really had a horrible experience. I'm sorry to hear that because I've had such wonderful memories there, not one bad experience in the past 20 visits. During our 16th visit (and coincidentally Disney's 16th birthday)  we got to HNY a bit too early and so our room hadn't been cleaned yet. They tried explaining the system to us but we responded saying it was our 16th visit and we knew the parks in 'n' out. The lobbyist smiled and gave us our entrance tickets. When we came back after an exhausting day at the DLP the lobbyst informed us that we had been upgraded to an Empire State Club suite. It was a nice gesture (one that we still carry with us every time we go). The staff was extremely nice and we were treated like royals.

I do agree that it's probably not worth its money but your experience seems extremely rare and probably occured only this once. Bad service can be expected at any time and any place (not just DLRP), it's just sad that it happened to someone who'd been so dedicated to the parks.

Riebi

Wow David! That sound really bad....

just to give you a propper comparison: I was the whole last week at Barcelona (expensive in hotel prices...). We had a 4 star hotel in the central city.

What we get:

QuoteThe Exterior Terrace room, approximately 26m2, is comfortably decorated with soft relaxing colors. Rooms include one bed (width ranges from 1.60m to 2m and a length of 2m) or 2 individual beds (105cm in width and 2m in length) and are furnished with a classic style and equipped with the finest textiles: a lush duvet and a plaid cover to ensure your comfort. We have 10 rooms of this type available, located on the sixth floor of the hotel. All rooms have a spectacular 20m2 outside terrace overlooking the Gran Vía and CalleBruc of Barcelona.  Terraces include furniture (lounge chairs, table, and chairs) to enjoy the sun even in the winter months. The room also includes terry slippers and a bathrobes. Rooms are equipped with direct dial telephone, LCD TV with Canal+ and thematic channels. Each room has access to individual air conditioning and heat, CD player and radio, mini bar, free access to a coffee maker, a secure safe large enough for a laptop to protect your valuables for free, an office desk, reading chair, and a free basic WIFI connection.  Bathrooms are designed with Italian marble including a bathtub, hair dryer, and amenities designed by Javier Mariscal.

+ more amenities then I ever saw in my life (more then disneyland hotel)
+ room service
+ a great really great breakfast with everything you just could think about
+ the took our lugage to the room and they were nearly horrified cause we took our lugage down on our last day (3 people were running to us to take our lugage out of our hands)
+ turn down service
+ free pastries and newspapers
+...

We expected much, cause the prices at Barcelona are high. And at the end we get more.

so: yes you are right. what you get at disney is not service or quality, it´s just a short walk-way to the parks... :(
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Riebi"Wow David! That sound really bad....

It didn't sound ideal, but I suspect time may have healed this particular wound...Is there any reason that a 4 year old thread has suddenly returned to life? I have no experience of the rooms in question, but it's conceivable that the entire situation has changed completely. So unless anyone has a new experience to add, it seems a little pointless to discuss it.

Quote from: "Riebi"so: yes you are right. what you get at disney is not service or quality, it´s just a short walk-way to the parks... :(

What is it they say; location, location, location? Prices do not only depend on the level of service of the hotel. You'd pay more for a Travelodge (for example) in central London than you would for a 3 or 4 star hotel somewhere else. That's not exactly a surprise.

This is not to say that I don't think that the "top end" Disney hotels don't over-charge, especially for the suites, because I think that they do. If you don't get the service that they say they will provide, then you have grounds for complaint. But if you don't think the described service is worth the money that they are asking, then the solution is not to pay it: not pay it and then object.

As far as mid-range goes then I think that the prices are actually very reasonable, especially if you take advantage of the special offers. We are going in October to the Newport Bay and when you deduct the current price of park entrance for our total stay, then it works out at about 80 euros per night for the room and 4 x breakfast for 3 people. If I'd been a bit quicker off the mark, I could have got the Hotel New York for about the same price. You can't really argue with that!

Riebi

sorry...I live in germany...we don´t get the good prices  :lol:

But as you said at DLP you just pay the location. So maybe it´s 20 years after opening the better option to walk or drive a bit.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...