Empire State Club... The pictures

Started by speedpacket, August 23, 2008, 09:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "MrSanders"After having moved away from the DLH (steep price increase since 2005) we have been an extreme fan and advocate for the HNY. We are just planing our winter trip and don't want to be disappointed - since it is our only vacation in the year. Has anyone made positive experiences with the HNY lately?

Regards from the 100 acre woods.

Well the info I wrote in this thread was from last week when we were there. The HNY used to be my favorite, preferring it even to the DLH. But now, the level of service has almost sunk down to the other hotels :(
since 2001 (many before that)

speedpacket

Quote from: "MrSanders"After having moved away from the DLH (steep price increase since 2005) we have been an extreme fan and advocate for the HNY. We are just planing our winter trip and don't want to be disappointed - since it is our only vacation in the year. Has anyone made positive experiences with the HNY lately?

Regards from the 100 acre woods.
I'm sorry, but I must say that I don't recommend going there AT ALL at the moment.
AS I already pointed out, the service is far below what should be expected and what it once was.  Unfortunately, judging from this thread, and another one posted in the Trip Planning board, I don't seem to be the only one having issues with the hotel and where it's heading...

Also, but this is just a rumour I really can't confirm.  Apparently, the former manager of the hotel has left and is no longer working at this hotel.  The managers taking over don't seem to be as good as the former one...

I would love to say that I highly recommend going there, but unfortunately, I really can't :(

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be, however and let us know how it turned out!!!

David. (still a big Disney fan, just a very disappointed one at the moment...)
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

Pete's Dragon

This topic has been going for over a week now, and I have just one question. Where are the pictures mentioned in the title ?

speedpacket

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"This topic has been going for over a week now, and I have just one question. Where are the pictures mentioned in the title ?
Read the first post...
Next visit:

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

Suzy

Hi Speedpacket,

I've just found this - as I said in my thread about the HNY, I haven't been on the forum much lately (new dog at home to settle in and general disney disappointment).

I know exactly what you mean on this thread, I understand completely that you didn't get what you paid for.  I'm appalled that the breakfast was worse than ours downstairs when you paid more.  For us, a huge disney breakfast is a big part of our trip.  The room service was poor wasn't it?  The treatment we had I wouldn't expect from any hotel never mind Disney.  We are seasoned disney holidaymakers too, and to say that the HNY was much poorer than our previous stays in the newport bay club is mind boggling.  The only thing we liked was that it was nearer to the parks.  We had mouldy bathroom tiles too.   :(

I'm waiting to see what Disney say about this, but what happens if we're not happy with their response?  Is there a telephone number?

Also, I think everyone shouldn't make assumptions about people not using their hotel rooms much.  We like to use ours.  We stay for 6 or 7 days and  we don't want to be in the parks 16 hours a day, we like to come back for a swim and to get changed etc, and sometimes just to have a rest.  To come back to a pigsty is unacceptable anywhere.  

We paid extra for a lake view once at NBC and they gave us a ground floor room overlooking the pool.  I had quite a job that time to get them to change it.

I dunno, I really don't.  Hubby does not want to spend our hard earned cash at Disney again as a result of this recent fiasco, so I'm hoping Disney are coming up with something.

Anyway, despite what some people have said on this thread - I completely understand your point and sympathise 100%.

miss disney fan

Quote from: "Suzy"Also, I think everyone shouldn't make assumptions about people not using their hotel rooms much.  We like to use ours.  We stay for 6 or 7 days and  we don't want to be in the parks 16 hours a day, we like to come back for a swim and to get changed etc, and sometimes just to have a rest.  To come back to a pigsty is unacceptable anywhere.  

i agree with you suzy about using the hotel than just more than to rest your head, when we're on holiday at disney we trend to go back to the room during the day just to lie down or kick our shoes of for an hour  :P and as you and speedpacket say for the amount of money we pay for the hotels you expect the service that gos with it  :roll:

speedpacket

Hi there - sorry for not getting to this topic again.
Thanks for all the feedback.  It confirms that we're not alone in this, and that we're not being overdemanding.

In fact - our point was just proven to me again last night where we stayed at the Radisson SAS hotel in Antwerp, and their service was absolutely fantastic.

For only 209 EUR (300 EUR less than what we paid at Hotel New York!) we got:

- 2 bathrobes
- room larger than Hotel New York ESC
- nice and comfortable beds with spare pillows and sheets
- a GREAT view on the Antwerp city park which we did not need to pay extra for
- free chocolates (not just a chocolate coin, but the actual chocolates) on our pillow
- coffee and tea making facilities
- bottle of water
- even mouth water in the bath room
- two bath robes
- a great breakfast not to be compared to what we had at Hotel New York
- coffee and tea served to your table at breakfast
- bellhop service
- FREE and included wireless internet access (you get internet at Empire State Club, but not wireless; you need to go to the business center one floor higher; your key will give you access...  Not that comfortable at all...)
- voucher for two free drinks at the bar as a welcome gift
- undamaged furniture
- clean bathroom
- a smile from staff when checking in / having breakfast / checking out...
- a great feeling of relaxness to start your day with...

So for all the people on this board - hotels CAN do better than what HNY is supplying, and I'm just very happy that it was once more confirmed.  I'm thinking about trying out the Radisson Sas at the Disney Golf next time.  I'm sure it will be a much more relaxed stay than what we had to endure at HNY.

Sorry to keep the thread going, but just to prove to the non-believers that HNY is just becoming a poor service hotel at five star rates.

Cheers,
David.
Next visit:

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "speedpacket"So for all the people on this board - hotels CAN do better than what HNY is supplying, and I'm just very happy that it was once more confirmed.  I'm thinking about trying out the Radisson Sas at the Disney Golf next time.  I'm sure it will be a much more relaxed stay than what we had to endure at HNY.

Sorry to keep the thread going, but just to prove to the non-believers that HNY is just becoming a poor service hotel at five star rates.

Cheers,
David.

The Radison SAS on the Golf Course is much better, or may I also suggest the Marriott Vacation Club - a full suite for the price of a hotel room.

speedpacket

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"The Radison SAS on the Golf Course is much better, or may I also suggest the Marriott Vacation Club - a full suite for the price of a hotel room.
Hi Dave,

Do you own at DLRP?  What - if I may ask - are you paying to Mariott?
Next visit:

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "speedpacket"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"The Radison SAS on the Golf Course is much better, or may I also suggest the Marriott Vacation Club - a full suite for the price of a hotel room.

Although I have not stayed there myself, friends of mine stayed at the Radisson last year, and although they felt a bit isolated at times, they raved about it. Excellent quality room, super breaky, lovely restaurant for a quiet meal and most important of all...........superb service. I know for a fact that they will be staying there for their Christmas visit this year.
Seems like it's worth some more investigation.

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "speedpacket"
Hi Dave,

Do you own at DLRP?  What - if I may ask - are you paying to Mariott?

We own a 2 bedroom villa gold week (Jan-June) at MVCI. It works out really well for us. We paid £14,000 (17,434 euro) for 75 years of ownership, with 700 euro maintenance a year.

For that we get 7 nights a year, and if we opt to trade for another location (we went to California earlier this year), they often will give you another week elsewhere (we got a free week at the 5star golf villas in Mallorca in November and a bonus week in Playa Andaluzia in Feb). there are tons of perks, and I love it. I feel so disappointed vacationing in a hotel room ever since.

speedpacket

Just to update you all.
We got a response from Disney regarding our complaints, and it amazes me that they defend themselves in every way, and despites "our lies" are awarding us a partial refund in the amount of 234 EUR.

Well - I don't care about this refund at all, as the way they make it seem as if our complaints are not correct, is just beyond me.

For instance; we complained about not having extra pillows or bed sheets available; their response is they are available in ALL rooms, in the closet...

they also still believe that the breakfast offering in the ESC is exactly the same as downstairs, and so on...

I really can't understand it.

i think we'll make new reservations, and bring along our email, so we can cross-check every item on there, and I'm sure we'll need to bring in a manager so he can verify that their email is just plain and simply not true.  Very interested in what their reaction might be then...

I really can not understand that when a 15-year long client has such an extensive list of complaints, it simply is not believed, and they are not even making the smallest effort to verify these things...

As if the 234 EUR is what we wrote the mail for...  Unbelievable...
Next visit:

smurfy74

they dont have a time machine so they will be unable to verify your complaints but they have given you answers. Id see the compensation of admission that they didnt get it right. If they believed it was all fabulous then they wouldnt have offered you anything. In reality they arent going to admit they got it wrong as they cant prove it either way. But they will have looked at your comments and im sure if enough people let them know then they will have to change things for the better. If know one said anything then nothing would change.

Samninetysix

I agree absolutely 100% with what speedpacket is saying. The level of service and quality at DLRP is shocking for what we pay for. There are many members on this board and indeed in general that go to DLRP that use the hotel room (at whichever hotel they stay in) as purely a place to sleep, we however as I suspect speedpacket is, like to use the full facilities of the "resort". I personally couldn't give a flying fart about theme parks, i'm not interested, we go to Disney because it's Disney, we absolutely love just being there, we don't need to be on rides or even in the park, it's the whole atmosphere of the place which is probably why we enjoy spending time in the hotels as well as the parks. When we went for Christmas 2006, we ended up with bitterly cold freezing fog, lots of people braved the cold and stayed in the park, we however decided to go back to our room which was NPBC/AF/LV and relax in the warm, so it's horses for courses as they say. I have noticed that generally the guests that stay at the Santa Fe and Cheyenne tend to stay in the parks for far longer than guests that stay in the DLH & HNY etc.. maybe this is because the guests that do stay in the more expensive hotels want to have a little bit of pampering when they pay €500+ per night. Just for the record, our favourite is the Davy Crockett, we love the whole thing including theming, it's low cost but pure fun and I can say without question that we have loads of fun away from the park whilst in the DC. We have stayed in all of the Disney hotels and can appreciate why guests want the luxury of DLH/HNY... but we have noticed a steady decline in the quality of the food especially, the current trend is to go for the all you can eat buffets which, believe me earn DLRP a ton more money than any other kind of offering and the standard of those isn't brilliant. There are a few bastions of quality left at DLRP but these are sadly dwindling - we all love the park otherwise nobody would be reading this post but lets not be blinkered, everyone has an opinion and whether you go to DLRP on a budget (we've camped in a tent and driven in to the parks!!) or want to have a blow out which means you can spend thousands of you hard earned €/£, the fact remains we all keep going, it'd just be nice to have a little value for money.

davewasbaloo

Bravo Samnintysix, I totally agree with you here. We are going to try the DLH again next weekend (it's been a while), but if it disappoints like the HNY last month, never on site again.

But I am going in with an open mind.