Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-breeno-

Ok, it's a bit on the big side, but apart from that give me one other thing that's wrong with this?  What's the four words you will no doubt see at the bottom corner of this map when it is released?.. Give up... "Not drawn to scale".  Of course the parachute is going to be large, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see it (especially with the fact it blends in with it's green surroundings).  If you're going to complain about that then you might as well complain about the fact the Walt Disney statue is the same size as some of the Boulevard buildings, or maybe the fact that there is such a gap between Art of Disney Animation and Animagique you could host a football match there, or even perhaps the fact Studio 1 is missing a roof.

I honestly can't see much wrong with this, and i still welcome the project with open arms.  In fact this map makes me a little bit more excited to it's opening (someone excited for Toy Story Playland?  Who would of thought!? :shock:  :P )

EDIT:  Is the tram tour sign new to the map?  If so praise the lord that horrible fun fair poster isn't still there to haunt us!
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

CentralPlazaPerson

The station of RC Racer looks like Al's toy barn.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "-breeno-"Ok, it's a bit on the big side, but apart from that give me one other thing that's wrong with this?  What's the four letters you will no doubt see at the bottom corner of this map when it is released?.. Give up... "Not drawn to scale".  Of course the parachute is going to be large, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see it (especially with the fact it blends in with it's green surroundings).  If you're going to complain about that then you might as well complain about the fact the Walt Disney statue is the same size as some of the Boulevard buildings, or maybe the fact that there is such a gap between Art of Disney Animation and Animagique you could host a football match there, or even perhaps the fact Studio 1 is missing a roof.

I honestly can't see much wrong with this, and i still welcome the project with open arms.  In fact this map makes me a little bit more excited to it's opening (someone excited for Toy Story Playland?  Who would of thought!? :shock:  :P )

EDIT:  Is the tram tour sign new to the map?  If so praise the lord that horrible fun fair poster isn't still there to haunt us!

Couldn't agree more, well said Luke :wink:

dagobert

I agree with you, TSPL is a little bit big on the map. They should scale it down on the map. Is there already an opening date?

Barnsey313

The scale might be to promote it's presence perhaps? After all it's where they want to draw a fair few people to next year.
 I personally welcome any new addition to making the studios a little less bare and although it might not be the killer ride we all want (Ratatouille or Splash etc.) it'll reduce queues elsewhere and provide a tad more to do. I'll hold judgement till i'm there - I mean I absolutely hated MMP from the pictures etc. but it wasn't too bad when I got there.

mehdi5

The scale propably is just off, maybe to give it more of a presence. The map needs a serious re-render though, everytime something is added now it looks like they quickly pasted it onto the map rather than merging it.

Anthony

Quote from: "mehdi5"The sclae propably is just off, maybe to give it more of a presence. The map needs a serious re-render though, everytime something is added now it looks like they quickly pasted it onto the map rather than merging it.
Absolutely. I'm quite disappointed they didn't address things like the Walt Disney Television Studios and Blockbuster Cafe/Restaurant des Stars building, which still look far too small.

Personally I'd prefer if Toy Story Playland also had the queue buildings for Toy Soldiers and Slinky Dog since they're quite substantial and interesting, but perhaps this being a sub-land it can't have too much detail. There's going to be a lot in a fairly small space back there. Weird they appeared on the resort map though.

Oh, thumbs up for the logo! Why didn't they use that on the recent posters or construction walls? Stupid DLP. And giant Buzz at the entrance still makes me squirm. It just has "patronising management decision" written all over it.

Tuvok

I hated the whole idea when they first announced it (I'm not a fan of Toy Story). Now, I'm actually excited to see this new land. It looks not as bad as I thought.
I do have one question: will they re-route the Tram Tour for this, because if I look at Google Maps, there is not enough room for this land. The costume building behind the Toon Studio is in the way. The only option I can think of, is to re-route the Tram Tour a bit. Anyone know if they will do that?
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

dagobert

I think they have already rerouted the STT and I think that had happened in Spring or early Summer.

andrewuk

It looks as if you will be able to walk to Ratatouille both by going through TSPL and through the 'Toontown' gate at the back of Toon Studio :idea: .

As I said in my previous post, I think TSPL will be OK; it will do a job I guess, but we have just had two great rides, two great shows and a very good bit of theming added, so its just underwhelming.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

dagobert

Quote from: "andrewuk"It looks as if you will be able to walk to Ratatouille both by going through TSPL and through the 'Toontown' gate at the back of Toon Studio :idea: .

I'm not sure if you can walk through the Toontown gate, because there is the costume building. So I don't think that the Ratatouille dark ride will get built there. Or are they going to demolish the building to make place for the Ratatouille ride.

Anthony

No, you won't walk through the gate. We're currently guessing Ratatouille could be built on the patch of forest behind costuming, to the right of RC Racer, so just off the bottom-right of the concept art:

...Creating a loop through Toy Story Playland, through the Monkey Barrel tunnel and back up along the side of Costuming to where the old gate used to be. (Or on the new park map, behind the TSPL logo to join back up where the Cars logo is - that's why I said earlier it'll be confusing for people not actually marking the path on there yet)

It's a shame that this path nor the path behind Art of Disney will be themed.

RnRCj

Quote from: "-breeno-"Ok, it's a bit on the big side, but apart from that give me one other thing that's wrong with this?  What's the four words you will no doubt see at the bottom corner of this map when it is released?.. Give up... "Not drawn to scale".  Of course the parachute is going to be large, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see it (especially with the fact it blends in with it's green surroundings).  If you're going to complain about that then you might as well complain about the fact the Walt Disney statue is the same size as some of the Boulevard buildings, or maybe the fact that there is such a gap between Art of Disney Animation and Animagique you could host a football match there, or even perhaps the fact Studio 1 is missing a roof.
The whole map hasn't been designed very well compared to the detailed and (fairly) accurately scaled DLP map. I think they need to redo it all. They seem to take anything they feel is significant on the map and enlarge it x3.

The reason I moaned about the size of TSPL in particular was because the paratower and halfpipe are just as big as ToT. Now really, out of those attractions, which should sit most prominently on the map? I can tell you it's not the halfpipe or paratower.

I can only hope it will be scaled down (and hopefully removed altogther....) in the near future. :roll:

-breeno-

Quote from: "RnRCj"The whole map hasn't been designed very well compared to the detailed and (fairly) accurately scaled DLP map. I think they need to redo it all. They seem to take anything they feel is significant on the map and enlarge it x3.
Yeah i agree with you that the WDS map isn't the best map in the world, but it needs to be big.  Remember WDS is a small park, a lot smaller than DP and still has plenty of "gaps", things need to be large to hide these "gaps", i was looking at the old 2002 WDS map just earlier this morning (thanks DLRPMagic Memorabilia ;) ) and there's more empty spaces on it than a multi-story car park at 4 in the morning!  If they need to make things big to hide the fact that this is still an unfinished park then so be it, but there's nothing more i'd love than seeing a decent WDS park map with the gaps filled with attractions ;)

QuoteThe reason I moaned about the size of TSPL in particular was because the paratower and halfpipe are just as big as ToT. Now really, out of those attractions, which should sit most prominently on the map? I can tell you it's not the halfpipe or paratower.
Again true, ToT should be the most dominating attraction on the map, but we're talking about 3 new attractions here, they need to stand out to be noticed.  I don't know about you but when i look at that map the first thing i'm drawn to is TSPL, exactly what you want to happen when you have some new attractions to show off.

Don't worry though, i'm pretty sure that TSPL will be scaled down a bit when/if Ratatouille comes along (either that or poor old Studio Tram Tour will look even worse :P )
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

The Butlin Boy

A glimpse of a scale model has sneakily appeared on WDSfans:

:)

http://www.photosmagiques.com/wdsfans/n ... y_land.php