Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

Sure, in terms of this project it is of great likeness to Woody. I just feel ToyStory Playland cheapens the experience of a Disneyland-style park. I don't mind it so much in the studios, since that's already a mix-match of themes. But it saddens me seeing it in that park.

peter

I really think they shouldn't put a character thing like buzz or woody up, because it means said characters can't be used for meet and greets in tspl.

Martyn

I like that Woody!

QuoteAs for TSPL, to make it that little bit more Disney, I still say the Mr Potato Head AA is a needed addition to the area!

Totally agree with this. They could do with a few characters hiding in the bushes as such, such as Mr Potato Head, Hamm and Woody.

peter

there seem to be alot of little extras which would make the whole thing feel more realistic.

CafeFantasia

Has anyone posted this yet?

[youtube:29l4mspn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XINLBhCkOUM[/youtube:29l4mspn]

claire2281

My brother and his girlfriend experienced TSPL for the first time a few weeks back and they absolutely loved it. They adored the themeing in the area (the K'nex fences, the oversized fairy lights, the railroad benches, the pixar ball, Rex, the way the bamboo made you feel cut of from the rest of the Studios...) and really liked the three rides. They were impressed with the outside queue line for RC and the queuing area for Parachute Drop which all the soldiers and the Gameboy screen. RC was a bit short as a ride but a good thrill, Parachute drop was fun and surprisingly high, Slinky is a good giggle if it's got a walk on. They were also surprised at the quality and comfort of the restraints as that tends not to be so good on the smaller rides and flats at other parks.

No, it's nothing like the rest of the park in style but it is VERY like Toy Story and that's what they really enjoyed about it. We're the generation who grew up with the Toy Story films and I think that emotional connection to the series makes people really like it. I'd LOVE to see a coaster or a dark ride added to the area but three new smaller rides in the area to compliment the current larger ones and hopefully more to follow is a good idea.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Columbiad

I think I prefer the Woody statue to the Buzz Statue. Mainly because there are far too many Buzzes at DLRP, and Woody is such a friendly, fresh face. I wish WDS had Woody.

davewasbaloo

I wish DLP had not wasted their time, money and space on this and built something world class that the whole family could enjoy no matter the weather....
since 2001 (many before that)

claire2281

Quote from: "Columbiad"I think I prefer the Woody statue to the Buzz Statue. Mainly because there are far too many Buzzes at DLRP, and Woody is such a friendly, fresh face. I wish WDS had Woody.

Yeah I'd rather we'd have had Woody as well, purely because we already have Buzz in DLRP.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Josh

Quote from: "Alan"Has anyone posted this yet?

[youtube:2ndb5z1t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XINLBhCkOUM[/youtube:2ndb5z1t]
What!? John Lasseter keeps saying that the rides in TSPL were purposely based off of ride systems from fair grounds. That just sounds so wrong. :(
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

Watching that video again, I think we should all be very grateful for the talent involved. Toy Story Playland isn't some fake-Disney product designed by a European team. It's the real deal. It's Walt Disney Imagineering and Pixar trying to do their best. They're proud of it, and they would've built exactly the same thing in California and Florida.

I mean, even if you don't like the outcome, to have John Lasseter involved in designing a land for our park is really special. And, unlike a lot of other Imagineers, he doesn't forget Paris. He's often the one that brings it up in presentations, such as at D23.

peter

Thanks Alan, I think you might have brought up a point that none of us had thought about, including me. John lassetter has stuck by us, and he's not given up. The fact that during the shorttime he's been at imagineering, we've gotten an exclusive land( for a while), and have plans for an exclusive ride. Although TSPL might not be to everyones taste, we should be glad that at least one person at WDI still cares.

Scissorsboi

It's probably worth also noticing the sheer amount of his own properties which have been put into the parks in his short space of time too though. I don't think he cares about improving the parks as much as he makes out, just cares about getting his mark in the park.

That or he is VERY short sighted to the needs of the company. It's Disneyland, not Lasseterland.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Columbiad

Alan, you summed up all my opinions better then I could ever had. Whilst TSPL isn't the best addition, its no way as bad as others have described it, and the fact that JL is behind it, makes it even better.

I always thought that, whilst attraction additions are not often at all at DLRP, its more often than not an exclusive addition (e.g.. Crush, Cars, TSPL, Rat.). Looking back, I realise that they are all Pixar, and most likely had JL behind them all.

I just hope that he realises when to stop with all the Pixar. He has a reputation as a lover of classic Disneyland, I hope he pushes for original attractions as well.

EDIT: Scissorboi beat me to my own point!  :)

Josh

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"It's probably worth also noticing the sheer amount of his own properties which have been put into the parks in his short space of time too though. I don't think he cares about improving the parks as much as he makes out, just cares about getting his mark in the park.

That or he is VERY short sighted to the needs of the company. It's Disneyland, not Lasseterland.
I wouldn't say so. :) You might want to watch the Cars Land presentation at D23. The land originally wasn't going to involve the Cars film; it was envisioned with real cars in mind. They were trying to add familiar characters to the park, because it didn't have that many at all originally. The problem is that now there seems to be a bit too many toons. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]