Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DopeyDad

Hi Dagobert, sorry to correct you and it's a minor point but our 2yo was able and happy riding the Parachute drop.

dagobert

Quote from: "DopeyDad"Hi Dagobert, sorry to correct you and it's a minor point but our 2yo was able and happy riding the Parachute drop.

Thanks for correcting me. I thought that there is a height restriction. What was your family's favorite ride in terms of thrill, fun and theming?

DopeyDad

hi Dagobert, I think there is a height restriction but it's low, 80cm maybe? As for favorites, well there's the rub, none of the three attractions made it as a favorite for all the family, not like POTC or IASW so as an area it doesn't fill that need. What I enjoyed about it is perhaps the flip side of the same reason lots of people don't like it, the area theming and loop I thought was really nice and while there I completely forgot I was in WDS. I guess that's because of the edging done by the landscaping and the layout, but also it must reflect the disconnect with the rest of the park. That's not great if the park it's in is something like DLP but in the often barren and bleak WDS it felt welcome to me to feel I was 'somewhere'. I'd have preferred that 'somewhere' to be more consistent with the story of the whole park and to have DLP type transitions but I'm not convinced that was ever likely to happen so I'm glad overall there is an area (not forgetting Hollywood Boulevard) with a sense of immersion to it.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it's everything I would have done and I tend not to compare something with the 'what if' alternatives that never happened. I would have preferred say 1 fewer attraction, a more general play area and 2 slightly more 'whole family' attractions, maybe with a different theme but they didn't ask me about it for some reason.

Martyn

In a nut shell; its a great little area, fantastic for kids, and enjoyable for adults too.

davewasbaloo

Interesting replies....I still cannot stand it, and I think other than adding greenery and a cute musical score, it is a waste of money and space, and is really a step backwards.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

I think Toy Story Playland can look excellent on photographs, from the right angle and under the correct lighting, rather like so many actresses on magazine covers. Or, come to think of it, a film set. But when you're there, there's no there there. It's utterly unconvincing and there is barely enough thematic substance for your imagination to fill in the blanks. You have to squint, pretend, make your eyes blurry and possibly buy a drink or two before it starts to feel the way it should. On rainy days, I've skipped through the Disneyland Park, humming ditties and smiling like a complete idiot, but Toy Story Playland under grey skies becomes about as magical as your daily commuter route.

Now I'm sure plenty of people have toddlers who enjoyed the sensation of being swayed back and forth and up and down and round and round (summing up all three rides there), but that hardly makes it one of Disney's masterpieces.

And I really did try to like it.

DopeyDad

yeah, I know what you're saying Puss and I want to be clear I don't want to be pigeon-holed in the 'everything is great' camp. I wonder if sometimes things come down to the different priorities people have when they try to sum up how good something is.
I'm kinda a 'its better than is was, therefore happy' but there's the equally valid 'it's not as good as it could have been' view and the 'they did it all wrong, why are they idiots?' view.
I have less invested in how I view the parks beyond our first visit 5 years ago (trip No 7 about to get booked  :D any day now) and it's always interesting to hear how people with different histories, preferences and personal attachment to the parks view changes. I think that maybe that says something about the impact Disney parks can create with people and that impact is unlikely to happen in TSPL or anywhere in WDS at the moment imho. I don't think there's anywhere in WDS, even with the Boulevard, that can make you feel the way you do when walking down main street, under Fort Comstock or emerging from one of the covered walkways to see Skull Rock and the Galley for the first time.

pussinboots

Yes, you don't need to have been around in 1992 to realize the slight disparity between the two parks.

What tends to happen is that initially, any news seems like good news, simply because there isn't that much coming from Euro Disney, but then once it's built, you realize that now we're stuck with this mediocre thing. Or is that just me.

Anyway, I sincerely hope that with Ratatouille they will finally build enough of something for it to have any sort of emotional impact. That they won't stop somewhere halfway again.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "pussinboots"Yes, you don't need to have been around in 1992 to realize the slight disparity between the two parks.

What tends to happen is that initially, any news seems like good news, simply because there isn't that much coming from Euro Disney, but then once it's built, you realize that now we're stuck with this mediocre thing. Or is that just me.

Well, when I saw the concept art, I was alarmed. People said "wait until it is built....." I did not quit my protests in the hopes that others would join in and they would change their strategy before it was too late (like they have for the MK's Fantasyland expansion). Instead I got abuse and threats of being chucked off web sites. Now, the land has opened and it is even worse than the art work (parachutes are rarely fully loaded/picture environments ruined (like I warned), and Slinky Dog is even slower and more boring than anticipated. And while we were sure there would be exclusions for little kids on RC Racer, we didn't see that big guys would be excluded too (the only ride in the 8 Disney parks I have been to that I cannot ride).

Guess what? It has strengthened my resolve to speak out.

ed-uk

But I think Disney believe in TSPL that's why they are also building it in HKDL. I notice their new Flight of Fantasy parade even has a Toy Story float with parachute men and a parachute drop. WDS was crying out for new rides and I think TSPL helps fill a gap. You're lucky if you've been to 8 Disney parks and felt you can go on all the rides. I bet most people don't feel that. I don't fancy RocknRoller coaster and would have prefered something else. Some people probably like TSPL. Not everybody can agree to dislike the same rides and themed lands. I don't really see this as a campaigning forum, I could be wrong. It's a Fan site, I thought and people come here to share their holiday experiences and express their views on things. But we can't all agree to dislike something and get it stopped. Is this the right forum for that? Start a blog and see what support you get. As I say I didn't think this was ment to be a Disney suck now, they have lost the plot and I can do a better job than they do forum. Fair enough if some people hold those views ( and I don't think it is always fair)), but is this the place for everyone to agree on it.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ed-uk"I don't really see this as a campaigning forum, I could be wrong. It's a Fan site, I thought and people come here to share their holiday experiences and express their views on things. But we can't all agree to dislike something and get it stopped. Is this the right forum for that? Start a blog and see what support you get. As I say I didn't think this was ment to be a Disney suck now, they have lost the plot and I can do a better job than they do forum. Fair enough if some people hold those views ( and I don't think it is always fair)), but is this the place for everyone to agree on it.

that is very sad for you Ed (but does not surprise me). But given the US forums tend to voice these things (and Disney do read them), things have changed (some of the ideas for DCA, for the MK). TSPL was floated as an idea and it was the 12th one the HK SAR (who only knew Ocean Park before HKDL opened) chose, largely because it was the cheapest and they did not want to be seen to be wasting public funds. TSPL at WDSP was a sweetener to reduce the price for HK and to get something into WDSP. I have had conversations with senior folks in Burbank who have admitted what they love about Paris is they can put any cheap thing and it is warmly received, unlike the US or Tokyo. That is wrong IMHO.

How many times can a bunch of people ask "what's your fav character". I am sorry, for me, discussion is about exploring ideas, asking questions, and trying to help DIsney set direction. they do read the boards, as well as having the large team of survey takers.

I am sorry, I have VERY strong feelings about Disney. I am not a fly by night faddy who will move on to my next interest next year like the sheeple of X factor lovers. I am devoted to Disney for a reason, and I want the reason to exist for my kids and grandkids as it had for my parents and grand parents. Disney is more than an amusement park, and I really think a lot of people in DLP's market do not get that.

davewasbaloo

And the difference with RNRC, it doesn't ruin any site lines for those that choose not to ride.

ed-uk

I'm not a fly by night faddy myself. And to be fair people have voiced their dislike for TSPL on this forum, they have been able do to that. But it didn't change anything, they still built it. All I'm asking is should we all have to agree on something to change a ride/policy or whatever at DLP?  RNRC isn't in a very attractive show building in my view, so it might affend somebody's site lines. And if it's about cheapest and money, you know what money is at EuroDisney. Why don't you start a blog and see what support you get? You say you've  had conversations with senior folks at Burbank who love DLP because they can build any cheap thing and it's warmly recieved. Is that how senior folks at Burbank talk to you about their parks. TSPL was conceived in the U S and EuroDisney had to pay the bill for it, I assume.
Ed & David

dagobert

QuoteBut I think Disney believe in TSPL that's why they are also building it in HKDL.

It was just an opportunity to add some rides for a small amount of money to WDS. I don't think that WDI or Disney is really proud of the final product. Otherwise they would have shown concept art of TSPL or pictures of TSPL at least at the Annual Meetings. But Disney didn't. Instaed they showed concept art of Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, SHDL and about the DCA expansion. When Disney showed pictures of TSPL and the first Fantasyland Expansion at the D23 Expo, fans booed. It was the major expansion for DLRP in the last two years. If WDI would be proud of TSPL there would be more pictures in the recently released WD Imagineering books. I have found only two small pictures.
Disney believed in SM to save the resort, but I don't think they believe in TSPL to help the resort. But I think that Disney believes in Ratatouille to boost attendance, because judging from the concept art the new ride looks great, almost too good for WDS.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that TSPL wasn't planned for HKDL at first. It was chosen, because they needed new cheap rides as soon as possible, because MP and GG will not open in the next two years.

QuoteWDS was crying out for new rides and I think TSPL helps fill a gap.

Of course that's the main reason, but I still think WDI should have built something else. I think ED SCA was forced by TWDC and John Lasseter to use toy Story due to the release of the third movie. Maybe ED SCA thought the movie would help to promote the resort.

QuoteYou're lucky if you've been to 8 Disney parks and felt you can go on all the rides. I bet most people don't feel that.

I have been to six Disney parks, but I haven't experienced TSPL. So again, I'm just judging on pictures and what friends told me. For me it is the second worst Disney area after Chester and Hester's Dinorama. I hoped to experience TSPL in fall, but we cancelled our trip and will instead go to Disneyland Anaheim next year.

QuoteI don't fancy RocknRoller coaster and would have prefered something else. Some people probably like TSPL. Not everybody can agree to dislike the same rides and themed lands.

I have no problem that people like TSPL. Tastes are different, especially in Europe with all the different cultures, but I find it very interesting that even in HKDL forums nearly no one likes TSPL, while many people in Europe like it. It's okay for me if you like it, but I don't have to like it, just because the majority here thinks it is a great addition. I stand by my opinion that Disney could have done it a lot better.

QuoteI don't really see this as a campaigning forum, I could be wrong. It's a Fan site, I thought and people come here to share their holiday experiences and express their views on things. But we can't all agree to dislike something and get it stopped. Is this the right forum for that? Start a blog and see what support you get. As I say I didn't think this was ment to be a Disney suck now, they have lost the plot and I can do a better job than they do forum. Fair enough if some people hold those views ( and I don't think it is always fair)), but is this the place for everyone to agree on it.

The header of the forum says: Discuss the magic! That means to me that it is a discussion forum, where everyone can express his opinion, and not a praise DLRP forum. Otherwise the moderators would have kicked many members out off the forum last year when it got a little bit heated when TSPL opened. If people only want to read positive things about Disney then they shouldn't read discussion boards. I think it is good that there are many people with different views, that's what brings a forum to life. Of course magicforum is a fan site and fans are passionate. Some more, some less. If people want to see only pictures, then there is the Trip Reports thread.

Without fans expressing their opinions on discussion boards, the Fantasyland expansion at WDW would just be a meet and greet area. After the fans got upset at the D23 Expo, on forums and meetings, Disney changed the plans. Hopefully magicforum will become so powerful in the future too. I think it is on a good way, because otherwise Anthony and Kristof wouldn't have been invited to the meetings.

ed-uk

Yes well we've been discussing the magic and TSPL, those who like it and those who don't. And they still built it, which was my piont. If we had all agreed not to like it in the first place, Disney would never have built it? And I don't except that Disney aren't really proud of TSPL and the final product. At least I've not heard them say so, maybe others have? Fantasyland expansion at WDW probably cost a lot more. I'm not compareing TSPL to SM, BTM or TOT. I know TSPL isn't full of E ticket rides. It's just increased capacity in WDS.
Ed & David