Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

They should put a small disclaimer under Rex, on a plaque:

"This figure is being observed by multiple video camera with face recognition technology. If your kid breaks it, you will receive a €5000 fine. Have a nice day!"

Terkina

Quote from: "Alan"They should put a small disclaimer under Rex, on a plaque:

"This figure is being observed by multiple video camera with face recognition technology. If your kid breaks it, you will receive a €5000 fine. Have a nice day!"

:lol:  :lol:
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

Festival Disney

Here's some pictures of the queue's spilling out into the main walkway from this Saturday just gone:

The Disabled waiting areas have been pegged out with the usual ugly stainless steel poles and white rope:

A little sign telling guests they're supposed to leave through the barrels  :shock:

And they've placed an unthemed and pretty ugly refreshment cart outside the Slinky Dog entrance:  :roll:

Source: http://www.disneygazette.fr/bilan-week- ... s-417.html
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Disneydavid

I still can laugh about the people who are REALLY standing hours in one line for one little Parachute Drop ride xD
And about the foodcars ... you are still in the Studios, you forget that even the TSPL is a set ;)

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

RockNRoller

Quote from: "Malin"The Rex prop looks like a giant toy dinosaur.

Oh no Rex looks like a giant toy dinosaur and look over there a giant toy Buzz Lightyear, with out wanting to state the obvious I'll let you work out where Im going with this....

As for the fans staying quiet, we now have four threads to discuss this over and I think you'll find that both sides are still commenting. Seriously I thought we'd got past the point of the conversation where we took pops at either side of the arguement.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Martyn

Quote from: "pussinboots"The damaged piece is obviously the grill cover of a loudspeaker; the rest of Rex (and pretty much everything else in the land) is hopefully not quite this fragile.

I cannot believe only member has thought of that. Its kind of obvious really, yet the majority of people take it as an opportunity for more slating.

And lol at them queue's, I may queue a while for my first go on RC and Parachute Drop, but only once!

I think they should start letting hotel guests in the Studio's early. It'll be good for the hotel guests, and will most probably keep the queue's shorter during the day.

DLP-Photos.com

//http://go.tv2.dk/video.php/id-33103317.html

2 minutes into this clip you will find the small interview I refered to earlier in this topic today. Listening to it again, I think he might be joking about Trixie, although it could be funny if they had hidden some TS3 characters in the land.

You can stop the commercial in the top right corner.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Malin

QuoteYou have to ask yourself however whether the fact that Rex is in a bad state is actually Disney's fault. I saw some things in my trip to WDW that also looked rather flimsy without barriers... However they were in perfect condition. The reason? Because the parents werent letting their kids climb over everything in sight.

Interesting because I would say WDW guests from my experience can be the worst behaved. Lets not forget that 9 year old Boy who was killed at WDW earlier this year. When he rode his bike into the side of a Resort bus. Reason for this tragic accident was because his Parents failed to watch over him. Disney have been opperating themeparks for years and have faced every lawsuit you can imagine. By now you would think they would realise that a lot of Guests are complete idiots who have no regard for other people or the property. By opening up Rex, Disney was kind of asking for it. So we can only blame the Guests for so much. Disney deserve the rest of the blame for placing Rex in a position where he could get vandalize. Disney should of known something like this would happen after the Luigi incident.

QuoteOh no Rex looks like a giant toy dinosaur and look over there a giant toy Buzz Lightyear, with out wanting to state the obvious I'll let you work out where Im going with this....

So why complain when kids climb all over him. Are kids not meant to play with toys. Is Rex roped off. Any signs saying please do not climb over the Dinosaur. If you state the obvious, he is a giant toy, and toy's do get broken.

QuoteAs for the fans staying quiet, we now have four threads to discuss this over and I think you'll find that both sides are still commenting.

Four threads yeah but I'm still not seeing much love in any of them for TSPL anymore. Maybe people are just holding back until they are able to experience the ride in person. But more or less all feedback and reports on this board over the last week have been negative. Long waits, shutdown's and now damage to the theming. For months we have had this backwards and forward debate over this land. But now that its finally opened. Its all been negative and people no longer seem to be in support of this land. I welcome all views, so if anyone has anything positive to say or can defend any of the negative reports. Lets hear them maybe.

QuoteI cannot believe only member has thought of that. Its kind of obvious really, yet the majority of people take it as an opportunity for more slating.

I don't think he's the only Member. Most of us however are looking at the bigger picture here. If Rex can look like this after a week. Whats the rest of the area going to look like in a years time. I think is unfair to say many of us are taking this as an opportunity for more slating. When this photo was provided and shared on this thread by non of the people in question. What are we to do, just ignore it.

PetiteSirene

Quote from: "Malin"Lets not forget that 9 year old Boy who was killed at WDW earlier this year. When he rode his bike into the side of a Resort bus.

There is a massive difference to a child being run over by a bus and parents letting their kid climb all over a piece of theming that is right infront of them and in a park. The kid was riding his bike with a friend on a road and got hit by the bus... How the hell is that the same thing?

Parents have started expecting other people take care of their kids instead of looking after themselves. The more companies cater to this 'babying' state the worse it is going to get. As I said, the theming isnt the problem, its the parents and the cast members not enforcing proper behaviour...

Had this NOT been TSPL and TSMM and had still been damaged would people still be calling it cheap I wonder?

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

smurfy74

@davewasbaloo - i got the info for the early opening from the AP section of the dlrp website :-)

Malin

QuoteThere is a massive difference to a child being run over by a bus and parents letting their kid climb all over a piece of theming that is right infront of them and in a park. The kid was riding his bike with a friend on a road and got hit by the bus... How the hell is that the same thing?

But its two incidents where poor parenting is to blame. And Disney need to take note that a lot of kids are left to run riot at the parks. What would have happen if the kid climbing Rex had fallen off the prop and broken his arm. Do you think the court will favour Disney. As far as I can tell Rex is not roped off and no warning signs are in place. Blame the parents sure. But also blame Disney for not thinking ahead and putting measures into place to prevent kids from climbing. I think we can both agree in a lot of cases the Parents just don't care. So it really is up to Disney to step up and do something about it. Since these people are on its property. And I don't think Cast Members are to blame. Only so much you can do when your overworked and underpaid.

QuoteHad this NOT been TSPL and TSMM and had still been damaged would people still be calling it cheap I wonder?

If something important on TSMM was broken within a week like it is at TSPL than yes I think it would come into question. But we don't have TSMM and we're stuck with TSPL instead. And up to now its been nothing but trouble from all the online reports. Did Tower of Terror go though all this trouble when it first opened at the Studios?

johnd331

QuoteDid Tower of Terror go though all this trouble when it first opened at the Studios?

As far as I remember, the opening was quite smooth. But the official opening of the attraction was months after the first soft openings. Also keep in mind that the primary ride is almost a carbon copy of the one in California and extremely similar to the Tokyo version. Plus, ToT is quite redundant. If one of the elevators fails completely, you only loose 1/3rd of your capacity. The only new ride that has quite some redundancy is the Parachute drop.

But...let's not forget the fact that Disney has a tradition of troubled starts, right since the opening of the original park in Anaheim back in the 1950s. :).

My personal opinion is that this land lacks a lot of love from both the creators and (potential) visitors.

PetiteSirene

Having worked in a theme park I know all too well that rides will always have teething problems. The most recent one that got a lot of press when it opened was SAW the Ride at Thorpe Park. They can only test rides to a point but can't judge how well it will perform until it has thousands of people riding it. They had countless problems with Vortex when it first opened and also dont expect rides to be fixed straight away when they shut down. Nemesis Inferno was down once for over a month, no maintenance team was seen fixing the ride... why? Because they were waiting for a part to be shipped over from America. Even Eclipse the 'ferris' wheel was shut down for a large portion of the high season when one of the tires needed replacing and that was nothing but trouble from the start.

Its all very well to sit back and say 'oh I told you that the rides were rubbish and would break down' all the time, but the cold hard facts are that it happens in every theme park around the world. According to my husband when he worked on Space Mountain it used to break down daily, so no Disney rides aren't excluded of the pain that is random shut downs and teething problems.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Malin

QuoteAs far as I remember, the opening was quite smooth. But the official opening of the attraction was months after the first soft openings.

Exactly Disney were given the time to fix all potential problems. TSPL seems very rushed to me. Like presure was on to have it working for the end of Summer.

QuoteAlso keep in mind that the primary ride is almost a carbon copy of the one in California and extremely similar to the Tokyo version.

Yes but its not like Disney doesn't have rides that are similar to the Parachute Jump or Slinky in other parks. When you think both DCA and TDS are celebrating their 10th Anniversary's next year. Disney have had 9 years of experience working on this sort of attraction. The park in Hong Kong must be loving the fact that it can observe the mess that is TSPL and make corrections in time for opening in 2011.

QuoteIts all very well to sit back and say 'oh I told you that the rides were rubbish and would break down' all the time, but the cold hard facts are that it happens in every theme park around the world. According to my husband when he worked on Space Mountain it used to break down daily, so no Disney rides aren't excluded of the pain that is random shut downs and teething problems.

But Space Mountain is a technology advanced ride. The causes of a shutdown are small and restarting the system can be very time consuming. You can not compare advanced Coasters to silly carnival rides. That are mass produced to go in every themepark in the world. Blame teething problems all you want but I have been on several Disney park attractions after opening that are far more advanced and have not had these "Teething Problems" TDL Monsters Inc, TDS Tower of Terror, DHS Toy Story Mania, WDS Tower of Terror, HKDL Its a Small World, DAK Expedition Everest and DL Space Mountain (after reopening in 2005).

I think its fully expected to perhaps have issues on new ride systems which are custom built for the park like Thorpe Park's, Saw the ride. But should we be seeing it happen on basic carnival ride systems like the ones found in TSPL?

claire2281

I think you're vastly underestimating how simple these so called carnival rides are. The UK theme parks have teething problems with even the simplest of their rides because they are complex systems no matter if it's a big thrill coaster or not.

TSPL is obviously extremely popular as can be seen from the queues. Two of the rides are suitable for the little ones which is obviously good and then you've got the thrill ride so that's a nice balance. It's added some much needed ride capacity to the Studios. I'd agree about opening it for hotel guests - that could definitely take some of the pressure off it later. However money is obviously an issue. Europe is in a bad state financially and Disney certainly is immune to it. Opening the Studios early would mean a lot employees in much earlier and hence more money.

Damage to Rex was probably someone's brat kicking it. I have met some of the rudest kids I've ever encountered at Disney, and I teach!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne