Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetiteSirene

Or maybe its not based so much on hotwheels... Weird that I could picture this as a Scalextric track... Not only because of the theming but perhaps because... OH MY! There IS a Toy Story Scalextric track developed for Toy Story 3! And look! RC looks just like TSPL RC. I certainly could picture Andy creating his OWN track for RC... After all he's a kid and children, unlike some adults use their imagination.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

TimmyTimmyTimmy

...or maybe it is based ALOT on Hot wheels?

Hello Hot Wheels maker... MATTEL!

"RC Racer
Halfpipe coaster with remote control car RC riding backwards and forwards on an orange "Hot Wheels"-style track. Manufactured by Zamperla, the actual system will be a brand new custom build, based on their Mega Disk'O and Intamin's Halfpipe coaster."

Sirene... I take it somebody used their imagination a bit too much.

alka1

I guess i'll add in my thoughts based on the pictures i've seen so far.

Pros: I don't think it looks that bad. It's not the most attractive land, but it looks quite fun for what it is. The theming looks on par to what we see in Flik's Fun Fair at DCA. The rides look pretty fun as well!

Cons: The land as a whole looks great, but I wonder if this what WDS really needed. I certainly hope the Ratatouille ride gets the greenlight because a big quality E-Ticket will be a huge boost for the park.

I wish WDS would have gotten DCA's Midway Mania clone and not DHS. You get the toy theme, but it's indoors and interactive fun for the whole family. Because all these rides are outdoors at TSPL, I wonder how the weather will affect operations. With poor weather in the winter, does that mean the entire land will shut down?

The only other thing that bothers me is the huge size of RC and Parachute Drop. They kind of destroy the illusion of keeping everything the size of a toy. At Flik's Fun Fair, the land is kept within a "canopy" and it everything is kind of tucked away to preserve the illusion that the guest is a size of a bug.

PetiteSirene

There ARE hotwheels references, I'm not saying there isnt... But how many kids do you know that DONT mix their toys together? There are also Scalextric references, My brother had he man action figures and transformers, didnt stop him from playing a game where He man would join forces or fight against them. Your looking at this from a very single minded adult point of view. Perhaps if you thought about this as a child, where there are endless combinations of toys and how to play with them together without limiting yourself to one 'brand' you might see something different. Children dont look at toys and say 'Oh thats a hot wheels car, I cant play with that with my other cars because its a hotwheel.'

I think DLP deserve a little credit for coming up with something new instead of just cloning Midway Mania... Not all of us may like it, but then again if we had recieved MM there would be a lot of people on here complaining that all DLP gets is clones from other parks. Can't win either way :(. They may not have pulled off TSPL as well as they could have but at least they tried bringing something to DLP thats unique.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"There ARE hotwheels references, I'm not saying there isnt... But how many kids do you know that DONT mix their toys together? There are also Scalextric references, My brother had he man action figures and transformers, didnt stop him from playing a game where He man would join forces or fight against them. Your looking at this from a very single minded adult point of view. Perhaps if you thought about this as a child, where there are endless combinations of toys and how to play with them together without limiting yourself to one 'brand' you might see something different. Children dont look at toys and say 'Oh thats a hot wheels car, I cant play with that with my other cars because its a hotwheel.'

I think DLP deserve a little credit for coming up with something new instead of just cloning Midway Mania... Not all of us may like it, but then again if we had recieved MM there would be a lot of people on here complaining that all DLP gets is clones from other parks. Can't win either way :(. They may not have pulled off TSPL as well as they could have but at least they tried bringing something to DLP thats unique.

To put it shorter:
Disney shoehorned in Toy Story... and that was my point all the time.

PetiteSirene

There was nothing in my post to say Disney Shoehorned Toy Story in, stop putting words in my mouth.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"There was nothing in my post to say Disney Shoehorned Toy Story in, stop putting words in my mouth.

Mixing Hot Wheels with Toy Story in a movie studio... I see a big orange shoehorn

...there is nothing unique about TSPL. HKDL is getting the very same land. ...and these rides have been on themeparks all over the world, fairs, malls and sooo on... again.

PetiteSirene

You may see that, but what I was saying was something completely different. We all know you hate TSPL, you've shoved it on everyone in the forum. What I am saying is that from a theming point of view mixing toys is all part of childhood. Which only enforces how well themed the area is. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean it isnt there and nobody appreciates the constant negative posts like that one directed to me, non constructive posts you contribute to this thread, putting other posters down. Perhaps if you were politer and actually took others points into view people wouldnt be so negative towards you.

Moving onto a constructive conversation

I love how this has the criss cross of the Scalectrics track. Such a smaller but cool detail. Brings back many childhood memories of pushing my brothers cars off the tracks :lol:

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

MagicStar

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"Talk about getting the most important element for the theme of this ride all wrong! I know that it is a RC racer... but what is it doing on that track then?

Thats the point I asked myself from the early beginning. This car doesn´t fit on a hot wheels track!
And the question is: Didn´t they care about that? Or didn´t they find a better solution?
Fact is: These little detailes wouldn´t have happened in the past.
Sometimes I think, the new Imagineering Generation is far away from the high standarts of their "dads"
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

The Masked Avenger

TmmyTimmyTimmy "I do understand why the disney fan base comunity is disliking it"

By which I guess you mean those who agree with you? you know "real fans!"

I'm not going to comment on the project, everyone can see pretty much for themselves now and I suspect everyone knows how you feel TTT and have probably made their mind up about that too. When will you consider talking about something else? Is it after official opening, or do you feel a need to respond to any positive comment about it for the rest of time! The reason I ask is that if there is no end to your need to keep saying you hate it then I wonder if there shouldn't be a separate topic for people who want to discuss it without you, you're are of course welcome to your views and to express them how you wish. But put it this way, if we were all in a bar having a conversation, I think a lot of people would have moved to the other side of the room by now.

ed-uk

It's funny how Disney theme park fans are happy to take a canal boat trip round a fairy brook, or go on a boat trip round the world of dancing dolls in Fantasyland. But the thought of going on a half pipe coaster if they think the car(which has to seat 20 people) doesn't fit on the track, oh no.
Ed & David

Pizzaplanet

In the last days I have read through the whole thread and to me it seems that on this forum it is not really tolerated to say something against Disney. Many people here like TSPL and many people don't like it.  In my opinion the people that don't like TSPL didn't insult anyone. And if people can't stand with critics, I'm very sorry for them. Although I think that the theming of the land is great, I still don't like TSPL very much. For me it is a waste of money that could be better used.
We pay premium prices at Disney and what we get for the money, especially in Paris, isn't really what I expect. I know Disney has financial issues and so they can't spend a lot. Another reason why I think TSPL is a waste of money.

Maybe there are people who are happy with Disney's standards of today, but I'm not. WDI did great jobs in recent years, but they made more mistakes and people are tolerating these mistakes. I'm sure the great days of Disney themeparks are gone. Why should Disney build wonderful attractions when people are happy with carnival rides.

I'm leaving this forum now, because I don't feel very comfortable here, since paople don't even tolerate constructive critics here.

Tomorrow we are going to Disneyland Paris and I'm sure my kids will like it.

Have a magical day!!

davewasbaloo

I have refrained from commenting for a while as negative views of Disney do not seem to be allowed formally or informally. But I thought I should share some more new news with you all.

In addition to RC Racer not being suitable for under 1m20's or people with heart problems etc. Those of us that are big better watch out too. Apparently the harnesses are less forgiving to bigger people than Crush Coaster. Whereas Disney coasters used to be able to fit larger guests with ease, Paris once again have built an attraction that tall or stout (or in my case both) may struggle with fitting. Be sure to talk to a cast member if you are large before getting in the queue.

I will be going in 12 days, but as I have already done a walk around and my comments have not been well received, I doubt I will share my experiences (unless I report the views of my wife, kids and friends we are going with).
since 2001 (many before that)

MagicStar

Quote from: "ed-uk"It's funny how Disney theme park fans are happy to take a canal boat trip round a fairy brook, or go on a boat trip round the world of dancing dolls in Fantasyland. But the thought of going on a half pipe coaster if they think the car(which has to seat 20 people) doesn't fit on the track, oh no.

Again Ed-uk, you aren´t able to discuss, you just disparage other peoples opinions.
Poor behavior!
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

ed-uk

I've never said you can't discuss. Read my post. I'm just making a point of my own. It's my own observation.
Ed & David