Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Disney/Intamin have done a great job getting a similar capacity from one tower instead of two. It might even have a greater capacity than the previous Disney incarnations of these rides. (e.g. Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Tokyo version)

dagobert

Quote from: "johnd331"
QuoteWon't you be able to see loads of backstage areas like the back of the Toon Town photolocation from up there? How's that going to be solved?

I was thinking the same questions, the location seems to be quite unfortunate... The backstage area of the photolocation might be somewhat hidden behind the costuming building, but you will get a nice view off the rooftops of all those buildings around there and probably also a glympse out of the park and maybe even some backstage areas of the Disneyland park like the Phantom Manor showbuilding.

What could you do to solve that? Only some big trees would do it, if they still have the place for them. But hey, wasn't the concept of the park "Behind the magic?", so it's easily solved then, isn't it? :)

Is the parachute tower really that high that you can see the PM show building? I can imagine to see the back of the toon town/studios facade, but PM?

Hopefully they will add some large trees to the berm around DLP so that you can't see so much of Frontierland when riding the RC Racer or the Parachute tower.

Kristof

QuoteKristoff-sorry I'm being a bit simple here. If riders are going to be sat back to back does it mean people end up looking at the pole or will the seats be at an angle/90' to it?

I did a quick sketch to illustrate how the seats will be placed.  Hope this is clear enough:

luke85

Very good Kristof! I'm glad that none of the guests will be facing the central pole.

tubbsy

Wow! thats really good! Quick sketch??? It'd take me... well, actually I'd get the teenager to do it cos I wouldnt have a clue where to start!  :lol: Thanks Kristoff, that makes perfect sense.  :D

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

DopeyDad

I wonder to what extent the height of guests riding as well as height of the attractions have been taken into account. Remember this? http://www.dlrptoday.com/2008/06/12/too ... ke-flight/
Taken at the time to be about Ratatouille this must be about TSPL right? This bit "The balloon (yes, they used just one, but they moved it around at different locations) was pretty high, mm maybe as high as Crush's Coaster main building. Seems pretty tall for a dark ride, but yet again, we don't know what is planned there." Maybe this means the impact of each rides height has been considered from the start. Add the surprisingly large budget for this project and I wonder if there aren't a few surprises left to come.
Could the project include extended fascia along Hollywood Boulevard and dealing with the visible tops of attraction buildings?

The Butlin Boy

There's talk on the Disney Central Plaza forums at the minute saying that the opening of Toy Story Playland may have been pushed back from late Summer to the end of September/early October! Anyone know more about this? I hope this isn't true, it's already bad enough that it'll open as late as the end of Summer without adding another couple of months onto it :roll:

:arrow: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... 202-40.htm

Anyway, I've been thinking about this for a while now, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the interior queue lines for the three new attractions will look like. I'm not expecting much for Slinky (it only has a small indoor section, which appears similar to that of Orbitron), but what about the Toy Soldiers and RC Racer rides, both of which have fairly substantial indoor lines (RC in particular).

Kristof

I've seen concept art of the Parachute queue line.  It's themed as the base camp of the soldiers with human-size soldier figures looking over plans and there's also a large toy jeep in there. (Well at least on the concept art).

The outdoor queue of RC Racer is themed as a toy race track, don't know about the interior.

johnd331

QuoteIs the parachute tower really that high that you can see the PM show building? I can imagine to see the back of the toon town/studios facade, but PM?

Well, I could clearly see the tower from BTM (and there are even some photos of other people clearly seeing it from there). So if you can see the parachute tower from BTM, wouldn't it make sense you can see BTM (and thus many things in between, from the "wrong side") from the parachute tower? :).

dagobert

You are right, johnd331. We have also seen TSPL from BTM, but I thought that BTM is higher than the parachute tower so you will have a better view than from the tower.

Anthony

I suppose your eye line when riding Parachute Drop won't ever be as high as the tower itself, and even then will only reach its full height every so often as you bounce up and down. You might see the peak of Big Thunder but not the lift hill. (Btw, remember when Big Thunder could be seen from Animation Courtyard before Crush was built?!)

Looking at an aerial view though, this'll surely offer a view straight behind the Toon Town facade to that backstage corridor... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=disneyl ... 8&t=h&z=19

As someone said earlier, maybe they just don't care if we see air conditioning ducts in WDS?

dlrpkris

They just seem to be giving up with quality control in WDS. At least Disneyland Park has had a high quality from the beginning to maintain. They seem to think any old addition to Walt Disney Studios must make it better...
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

Kristof

This discussion about the quality can keep going on and on without saying anything new that's to the point of the Toy Story Playland construction and its attractions.  

I understand this is a sensitive topic, so I suggest a new topic can/should be opened about Walt Disney Studios Park (or Disneyland Paris in general) and the direction it's going in.  

pussinboots

Maybe there should be a thread in which people post news and another in which people give their thoughts about it. Sigh.

Kristof

Sure, that's what I was referring to...

Back to Toy Story Playland.