Started by nathan.jackson, July 09, 2008, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan.jackson

What does this mean in English?

When I use Google to translate it says The Tanière Dragon

Useless!!!

Thanks

Kellogs

Doesn't it mean something like 'The Dragon under the castle'?

:P Wild guess there!

davewasbaloo

Dragon's Lair
since 2001 (many before that)

nathan.jackson

so... The Lair Of the Dragon

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "nathan.jackson"so... The Lair Of the Dragon

correct

Kristof

Quote from: "nathan.jackson"so... The Lair Of the Dragon

You don't translate it like that literally.  In French words are placed at different locations compared to English.  Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant would be The Castle of the Beauty in the sleeping forest...  :wink:

Stick to Dragon's Lair!  :)

davewasbaloo

Aren't grammer differences and idioms facinating? It's one of the special pieces of magic we have at DLP compared to other disney resorts. concepts of Phantom Manor and Cinemagique are genious.

Anthony

Indeed. For a Brit, it actually seems to make DLRP sound more special. Le Pays des Contes de Fées sounds beautiful for example, much better than Storybook Land [Canal Boats]. The Dragon's Lair also sounds really plain. La Tanière du Dragon is so exciting.

But I also like how when they built DLP they used a bit of common sense too. For example, all the attractions in Frontierland and Main Street have english names, whereas Discoveryland varies and much of Fantasyland and Adventureland are French, except for say the British quarter with Alice's Curious Labyrinth.

With WDS they threw that out the window a bit. Moteurs Action, CinéMagique: great, but Rock 'n' Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith is insane and the insistence they have upon the huge official title of "Les Tapis Volants - Flying Carpets Over Agrabah" (seriously, it's even used in the English map) is bizarre. Lucky they got it right with ToT.

I wonder how you'd translate something like Le Passage Enchanté d'Aladdin? Probably not as Aladdin's Enchanted Passage...

pussinboots

Quote from: "Baloo"Indeed. For a Brit, it actually seems to make DLRP sound more special. Le Pays des Contes de Fées sounds beautiful for example, much better than Storybook Land [Canal Boats]. The Dragon's Lair also sounds really plain. La Tanière du Dragon is so exciting.

But I also like how when they built DLP they used a bit of common sense too. For example, all the attractions in Frontierland and Main Street have english names, whereas Discoveryland varies and much of Fantasyland and Adventureland are French, except for say the British quarter with Alice's Curious Labyrinth.

With WDS they threw that out the window a bit. Moteurs Action, CinéMagique: great, but Rock 'n' Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith is insane and the insistence they have upon the huge official title of "Les Tapis Volants - Flying Carpets Over Agrabah" (seriously, it's even used in the English map) is bizarre. Lucky they got it right with ToT.

I wonder how you'd translate something like Le Passage Enchanté d'Aladdin? Probably not as Aladdin's Enchanted Passage...

I think it does pretty much come down to Aladdin's Enchanted Passage (although I'm not 100% sure and Raptor will undoubtedly correct me). It just translates badly.

They did name everything sensibly -- even the French names in the African area in Adventureland make sense. I would have liked a bit more English in Frontierland, personally, but you can't have everything. The European languages in Fantasyland are perfect, especially when compared to the American parks, which feature such awful pseudo-European names as "Village Haus". DLP, in stark contrast, has something called "La Bottega di Geppetto" (Geppetto's Workshop), which respects its source and doesn't dumb things down.

never2old

That's funny, I never noticed how they use the two different languages to name the atractions!

Kristof

Quote from: "pussinboots"I think it does pretty much come down to Aladdin's Enchanted Passage (although I'm not 100% sure and Raptor will undoubtedly correct me). It just translates badly.

There's no need to correct anything, Baloo got it right.  

Quote from: "never2old"That's funny, I never noticed how they use the two different languages to name the atractions!

Each attraction has an official name, which can only be used in the parks.  Sometimes a French name is translated on park plans or in brochures to English, but that's not always the case.

pussinboots

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quote from: "pussinboots"I think it does pretty much come down to Aladdin's Enchanted Passage (although I'm not 100% sure and Raptor will undoubtedly correct me). It just translates badly.

There's no need to correct anything, Baloo got it right.  

That's close enough.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"I would have liked a bit more English in Frontierland, personally, but you can't have everything.
Everything in Frontierland is named in English isn't it? Except for Fuente del Oro Restaurante.

My point with Aladdin was that they'd probably never call it that in English, it doesn't sound quite right. The Enchanted Passages of Aladdin would probably work better in that case, like Legends of the Wild West.

The only DLP name which has it wrong in my view is Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril, obviously named right after the grand opening fiasco when they were so desperate to keep the French on their side. But a ride based on an American hero at an Indian temple? Put it in English! That name actually reminds me of CinéMagique's "How did vous find moi?"

pussinboots

Quote from: "Baloo"Everything in Frontierland is named in English isn't it? Except for Fuente del Oro Restaurante.

My point with Aladdin was that they'd probably never call it that in English, it doesn't sound quite right. The Enchanted Passages of Aladdin would probably work better in that case, like Legends of the Wild West.

The only DLP name which has it wrong in my view is Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril, obviously named right after the grand opening fiasco when they were so desperate to keep the French on their side. But a ride based on an American hero at an Indian temple? Put it in English! That name actually reminds me of CinéMagique's "How did vous find moi?"

The names in Frontierland are mostly English, yes, but in practice a name is just a name. Phantom Manor is very French everywhere else, the narration on the riverboats is mostly French (oh how I wish I could understand more of it -- who is that giggly girl with the old man?)... But I know, we were talking about the names.

I don't wish to come across as a cultural imperialist or something of that nature, but things like Eddie Sotto's "we've found the rubber band" soundbite at Main Street Station warm my heart. These things are so very American, it feels right that they are in English. Similarly, the Jules Verne things (what's left of them) in Discoveryland feel wonderfully authentic in French. I wonder if Snow White would work in German...

And Indy... Well, yes. Did they ever employ the English name? Perhaps when it was still "Backwards!"?

And "Aladdin's Enchanted Passage" isn't that bad, is it? It has a slight WDW flavor to it. Although Aladdin isn't a pirate, princess or Pooh, haha. But maybe I've been staring at it for too long.

penfold12

Perhaps its just me, but I alwayd thought of the double entendre attached to Aladdins enchanted passage.....