Narnia attraction to replace Armageddon?

Started by Kristof, June 13, 2008, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo

I won't be sorry if this attraction goes,as everyone says the preshow is dull and drawn out;with the castmembers trying to get bored guests excited about the attraction ,it can be embarrassing at times at the lack of interaction !!! In the main show it is difficult to follow the storyline,even adding extra screens did nothing to help;but the effects are quite good,nice way to warm up on a cold Dec day !The fact that Armageddon was never rolled out to other Disney parks as intended just confirms what a low rating it has !Although I have never seen Narnia I would still enjoy the walk through before a better attraction comes to take its place !

peep

Quote from: "Yesitsme"had very mixed reviews (but bordering more on the bad side)

Sorry to point this out, but where the hell did you get that info from? I read a LOT of online reviews and magazine reviews and 80% of the reviews have said its better than the first film. The only reason the film failed in America is because the peeps at Buena Vista need brains, they failed to spot the fact that they released the film between two of the biggest blockbusters this year, I mean, no-one does that, its suicide for the studios (well Uwe-Boll opened his new film on the day Indy opened but then again he has a mass petition to stop him making films so no need to go into that one).
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Yesitsme

Quote from: "peep"
Quote from: "Yesitsme"had very mixed reviews (but bordering more on the bad side)

Sorry to point this out, but where the hell did you get that info from? I read a LOT of online reviews and magazine reviews and 80% of the reviews have said its better than the first film.

I'm guessing you are a Narnia fan?

Well reviews I have read have just said that it is not anything special. Also the first film had a 75% score at rottentomatoes.com, Prince Caspian has a 66% score (which is admitedly higher than I had first stated) but that is still not that great.

I agree completely that this film was released at a bad time of year BUT if this had been a really good film which had sparked peoples interest it would have done better than it has domestically. We can't simply blame it's release date for it's poor performance, I personally think it's more to do with people just not being that bothered about this film, it's not 'must see' like Iron Man or Indiana have been.

I just don't think Disney are very good with franchises, look how they turned Pirates of the Carribean into an overlong and confusing mess? (3rd film) They just seem to think that massively increasing the films budget will automatically increase the quality (the pirates sequels were rumoured to cost $250 - 300 million each!)

That said I'm sure they could come up with a good attraction for Narnia, the source material is still strong enough for that.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Yesitsme"I agree completely that this film was released at a bad time of year BUT if this had been a really good film which had sparked peoples interest it would have done better than it has domestically. We can't simply blame it's release date for it's poor performance, I personally think it's more to do with people just not being that bothered about this film, it's not 'must see' like Iron Man or Indiana have been.

I just don't think Disney are very good with franchises, look how they turned Pirates of the Carribean into an overlong and confusing mess? (3rd film) They just seem to think that massively increasing the films budget will automatically increase the quality (the pirates sequels were rumoured to cost $250 - 300 million each!)

That said I'm sure they could come up with a good attraction for Narnia, the source material is still strong enough for that.

I have an Army of people prepared to drag me in to the cinema against my wishes to see the second Disney Instalement of what you are calling 'weak source material'.... The Chronicles of Narnia collection is one of the crowning Jewels in the British Literature with every child I remember reading if not one of the collection the entire collection.... I HAVE SEEN the musical version of the Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe and Let me outline there is not one weak book in the collection... if there had been do you think Disney or the BBC would have even attempted to convert them from Books to cellophane? Disney have alreadyu outlined theirt not into grabbing the Cash in for this franchise or we would have stated not with the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe but with The Magicaian's Nephew and would be preparing for 7 movies not the undisclosed number of 3, possibly more depending on the movements following Voyages of the Dawn Treader.

This is Disney's version of LtoR and in my opinion a gosh darn better version than Jackson's foolish attempt of teaching Liv Tyler to speak gallic, french english and WELSH as Tolkien had constructed his elvish on, and Disney's success (1 Oscar and BAFTA to its name) It needs to be celebrated!

Yesitsme

Quote from: "Captain Pan"This is Disney's version of LtoR and in my opinion a gosh darn better version than Jackson's foolish attempt of teaching Liv Tyler to speak gallic, french english and WELSH as Tolkien had constructed his elvish on, and Disney's success (1 Oscar and BAFTA to its name) It needs to be celebrated!

You almost had me agreeing with you until you lost all credibility (in my eyes and only on this subject) by making the above statement.

I guess it depends on the circles you mix in, I don't know anyone who wants to see this film at the cinema and I don't know anyone who has read all of the books (or didn't until now)

Patrick

Quote from: "Yesitsme"
Quote from: "Captain Pan"This is Disney's version of LtoR and in my opinion a gosh darn better version than Jackson's foolish attempt of teaching Liv Tyler to speak gallic, french english and WELSH as Tolkien had constructed his elvish on, and Disney's success (1 Oscar and BAFTA to its name) It needs to be celebrated!

You almost had me agreeing with you until you lost all credibility (in my eyes and only on this subject) by making the above statement.

I guess it depends on the circles you mix in, I don't know anyone who wants to see this film at the cinema and I don't know anyone who has read all of the books (or didn't until now)

Well I think you are in the minority, as I know rather a few people as well who want to see the film, I personally cannot wait :D .  Can see this being a hit in Europe, rather like ratatouille was last year.

Kristof

:offtopic:

Discussion is now closed about the movies.  This topic is for the Narnia attraction.

Dlrpfan

Im not sure whether this has been posted before but...
Wha about if WDW moe their current sets from the Narnia walk through attraction and replace them with either sets from Prince Caspian or another movie. Guests hen tour through theese sets where they finally hit the ride (simular to the intro and hallways in the Haunted Manson)
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

SophieD

i think i have only been on Armageddon once before....and it wasn't that memorable...i think the main problem with the ride was that you had to watch interviews and parts of the movie before you actually entered the main attraction...this i felt was quite boring :x .

a Narnia attraction would be really good. even if it is just a walkthrough to begin with...(it would be like the passages of Aladdin in Adventureland). until they get the bigger budget for a better Narnia attraction.
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

charliegal

I wouldnt really mind if Armageddon was replaced with the proposed walkthrough. Although Armageddon was exciting the first time I went on it, it doesn't in my oppinion have repeatability as its very tideous watching the pre-shows before the main attraction if you have seen them before. If you don't catch the show at the right time you can also end up waiting for it for ages which can be pretty boring. I do love the film special effect montage though and no matter how many times I watch it, I still pull this face when im watching it  :shock:

I think a Narnia walkthrough would be ok but would probably rather that they waited until they had a bigger budget and could replace Armageddon with something more spectacular that would be a worth while replacement. I guess its a good idea in the sense that Narnia is aimed at a younger audience as well as the older generations and therefore they would be creating another attraction that would appeal to younger guests which i feel the park is currently lacking.

Katie-Sparrow

Armageddon is great! I don't think it should be replaced by a Narnia attraction!
[size=200]Princess Katie[/size]

Kristof

From what I've heard will Armageddon not be closed any time soon!  The Narnia attraction is coming, but not just yet.

Nala_84

Yay! Hopefully it'll still be there in December  [-o<
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Pete's Dragon

when you say "walkthrough", is this gonna be like the god-awful Captain Nemo thingy in DL ?

Anthony

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"when you say "walkthrough", is this gonna be like the god-awful Captain Nemo thingy in DL ?
Whaaaaa??? I'd say that's one of the most brilliantly themed walkthroughs Disney have ever done. Not everything needs to be in-your-face or thrilling. That's something where you're rewarded for taking a little time out to appreciate all the details. But as for Narnia, no, don't worry, it seems it will be quite interactive.

Personally I don't believe they'd put something as low down the Disney attraction chain as a simple Nautilus-esque walkthrough in that prominent building. Since it's been pushed back (or we thought it was coming sooner), maybe it'll be something they also add to DHS? They can't have that temporary Prince Caspian exhibit forever...

Btw, when the magicforum moderators did Armageddon last week, it again got a BIG round of applause... through about half the room walked out of the pre-show because it was so incredibly dull. The special effects room itself though is still a spectacular piece of Imagineering on its own.