Narnia attraction to replace Armageddon?

Started by Kristof, June 13, 2008, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Quote from: "Baloo"The way I'm reading all this is that they just want to get rid of the attraction ASAP. That horrible, boring wait and dull pre-show is really dragging down the Studios' rating amongst guests. Replacing it with a quick, fairly cheap fix based on a huge movie franchise and historic series of books seems a great option.

Haha, well said.

What if they find a way to recycle Armageddon's main show room though? The effects are, if not mind-blowing, pretty nice and feel like they belong in a studio park. If they manage to integrate it into a walkthrough where expectations won't be quite so high, it might actually be pretty cool.

The Butlin Boy

I did quite enjoy the main part of Armageddon, but as everyone else has said, the queue and pre-show just dragged it out too long. It's not really worth it at the end. So I am willing to welcome Narnia, as long as it is done correctly. Also, it should make next years advertising sound even more impressive, with the new Stars and Motor Cars parade, Playhouse Disney Live,
AND this new Narnia experience, I'm sure it will have an even better impact for the WDS in the long-run, potentially helping to fund the next big expansions :)

RockNRoller

I enjoyed Armaggedon the first few times but now its a bit dull. if they do put in a walk through I really hope its better than the Aladin one, so dull. IMO the only use for walk throughs is to get out of the rain.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

pussinboots

Quote from: "RockNRoller"I enjoyed Armaggedon the first few times but now its a bit dull. if they do put in a walk through I really hope its better than the Aladin one, so dull. IMO the only use for walk throughs is to get out of the rain.

The Aladdin walk through is fabulous. Not everything needs to be a multi-million E-ticket extravaganza. Now Armageddon on the other hand...

Javey74

I liked Armageddon, I agree with the views, that it is long and at times boring at the start, but the final part does make up for it.  I think now maybe is the time to make a change, and the Chronicles of Narnia, might just be the replacement for now.  I'd be interesting in it for sure, since I like the first film, with the new one coming along soon.

It's a wait and see I suppose on this one... :)

britincgn

Think its a great idea ,as everyone has said the preshow was boring and I certainly would never go in again if there was a queue.I raelly enjoyed Narnia at  Disney's Hollywood Studios althogh I thought it was too short. If it was made bigger with more props and costumes I think it could be a big hit.

Fever

I guess the same opinion as most people here, is that it's a neat attraction, but I usually skip it these days due to the looooong wait and pre-show. The total time you can spend there is 45 mins and thats a big chunk of my day not doing anything. Of course waiting for SMM2 for 40mins, as frustrating as it can be (waiting in the no longer magical or interesting corridoors to the station), the end result is a lot more fun.

My main bug about this rumour is that Armageddon is far from my top attraction, but I'd much rather hang onto it than get something shuved into there as perhaps a 'quick fix'

If I ever go to the park with first timers I will always ensure they don't miss this attraction, me and my friends during our WDW trip decided to completly skip the Narnia one there.

One final point are the Narnia films really that much of a hit??

If they really want a Narnia attraction, add it to the tram tour as that needs some re-thinking. I don't want to loose attractions, I think the park should continue to add them.
Welcome foolish mortals

pussinboots

Quote from: "Fever"I guess the same opinion as most people here, is that it's a neat attraction, but I usually skip it these days due to the looooong wait and pre-show. The total time you can spend there is 45 mins and thats a big chunk of my day not doing anything. Of course waiting for SMM2 for 40mins, as frustrating as it can be (waiting in the no longer magical or interesting corridoors to the station), the end result is a lot more fun.

My main bug about this rumour is that Armageddon is far from my top attraction, but I'd much rather hang onto it than get something shuved into there as perhaps a 'quick fix'

If I ever go to the park with first timers I will always ensure they don't miss this attraction, me and my friends during our WDW trip decided to completly skip the Narnia one there.

One final point are the Narnia films really that much of a hit??

If they really want a Narnia attraction, add it to the tram tour as that needs some re-thinking. I don't want to loose attractions, I think the park should continue to add them.

Well, you've said it yourself, Armageddon is like a long, cold shower on what should be a magical day, stealing a large chunk of people's valuable time. It does more bad than good for DLRP. I say good riddance.

Narnia won't be such a time-waster and won't involve a queue that resembles a cattle pen.

Maarten

Closing down Armageddon is such an aweful idea in my opinion. Personally I think its one of the better attractions of the Studios, especially when you consider it just to be a C-ticket at best. I can only agree with everything Davewasbaloo said. I would rather see them improving the current attraction (especially the pre-show ofcourse) then closing it and use this valuable space with a Narnia walk-through. Besides, if Narnia will be just as bad as the Orlando one, I cant imagine that the satisfaction rates are going to get any higher then they are with Armageddon right now.

By the way, you can't tell me that Honey I Schrunk the Audience for example has a higher satisfaction rate then Armageddon. Why is that waste of space still in operation?! Let close that tired show first.

My last argument is that Armageddon is a DLRP exclusive; it can only be found in Paris. Its only one of a handful of attractions in the Studios that are unique and gives the park its own signature. Replacing it with another attraction that can be found at Disney's Hollywood Studios, after Rock n' RollerCoaster, Moteurs.. Action!, Tower of Terror, Playhouse Disney, Studio Tram Tour, Art of Disney Animation (even Stitch Live! is a clone from another park) is such a bad idea. This way Walt Disney Studios will never be able to become a park with its own identity.

Besides, the fact that Rasulo claims he never cared for Armageddon or the Studio Tram Tour tells me more about him then the attractions. He was the one that pushed this park and attractions to get build. Besides, why should I care about this man's opinion, he has done more bad then good for the Disney parks worldwide.

Quote from: "pussinboots"Well, you've said it yourself, Armageddon is like a long, cold shower on what should be a magical day, stealing a large chunk of people's valuable time. It does more bad than good for DLRP. I say good riddance.

Narnia won't be such a time-waster and won't involve a queue that resembles a cattle pen.

How do you know they will change the current queue area? I cant imagine they will change that much, especially since they can't easily expand it or retheme it. Besides, I think Narnia will feel more like a time-waster, especially after people found out that they have waited for over half an hour to experience a lousy walk-though with watching a trailer and some costumes. Thats what I would call stealing a large chuck of people's valuable time.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Maarten"Closing down Armageddon is such an aweful idea in my opinion. Personally I think its one of the better attractions of the Studios, especially when you consider it just to be a C-ticket at best. I can only agree with everything Davewasbaloo said. I would rather see them improving the current attraction (especially the pre-show ofcourse) then closing it and use this valuable space with a Narnia walk-through. Besides, if Narnia will be just as bad as the Orlando one, I cant imagine that the satisfaction rates are going to get any higher then they are with Armageddon right now.

By the way, you can't tell me that Honey I Schrunk the Audience for example has a higher satisfaction rate then Armageddon. Why is that waste of space still in operation?! Let close that tired show first.

I agree about HISTA. I can't for the life of me figure out why Buzz couldn't have been put in that area instead. It's probably just as awful as Armageddon, although the scenery isn't as bad.

QuoteMy last argument is that Armageddon is a DLRP exclusive; it can only be found in Paris. Its only one of a handful of attractions in the Studios that are unique and gives the park its own signature. Replacing it with another attraction that can be found at Disney's Hollywood Studios, after Rock n' RollerCoaster, Moteurs.. Action!, Tower of Terror, Playhouse Disney, Studio Tram Tour, Art of Disney Animation (even Stitch Live! is a clone from another park) is such a bad idea. This way Walt Disney Studios will never be able to become a park with its own identity.

Besides, the fact that Rasulo claims he never cared for Armageddon or the Studio Tram Tour tells me more about him then the attractions. He was the one that pushed this park and attractions to get build. Besides, why should I care about this man's opinion, he has done more bad then good for the Disney parks worldwide.

Hmmm, well, that's a good point, but I'd rather have him own up to his mistakes than to spend the rest of his career defending his decisions. A large portion of the WDS was obviously born out of necessity and poverty, and now that things have started to turn around, it's time to take a closer inspection at this cardboard box extravaganza that is 2002's WDS. Whether he is partly responsible for them or not, these two attractions are the Superstar Limos of the WDS and Disney should acknowledge that.

And keep in mind that this Narnia thing is supposed to be temporary. Who knows what will replace it; the only way is up.

QuoteHow do you know they will change the current queue area? I cant imagine they will change that much, especially since they can't easily expand it or retheme it. Besides, I think Narnia will feel more like a time-waster, especially after people found out that they have waited for over half an hour to experience a lousy walk-though with watching a trailer and some costumes. Thats what I would call stealing a large chuck of people's valuable time.

There is a queue? I never did Narnia at MGM/DHS (I haven't even seen the film -- not my cup of tea). I had assumed it would be a nice little walk through, somewhat like the permanent and temporary exhibitions at DCA's Animation pavilion. Well, I suppose it won't be that much of an improvement then, but hey, it's only temporary, and at least it doesn't involve the embarrassingly passe Armageddon.

Kristof

Again, we don't know if they will carbon copy the walkthrough from Disney's Hollywood Studios.  My source said it would be "something to play with".

peep

Everyone is saying the film did bad at the box office. Why? The first film excelled all expectations at the box office completely stomping on everything else out at the time. I for one thought it was an excellent film and I know I am not the only one. The second film has only been released in America at the mo where it didn't set the box office alight but thats due to Disney being bloody fools and releasing it on the same day as (I think) Iron Man (can't remember, one of the mass hits so far anyways). Although saying that it has also stayed in the top 5 at the box office longer than its competition, it has staying power and will make its budget back (or already has) just in America. It seems Disney are pushing the film more in Europe with big premieres (UK one Thursday, DLRP Friday) and a huge ad campaign, don't forget in 2010 we also have the third film to look forward too. Its a growing franchise that Disney won't let die down, good.

I think replacing Armageddon with a temp Narnia attraction will be excellent and seeing as the franchise is still something everyone is very aware of it will make great advertising for the resort. Who knows what the attraction will be like, you cannot slag it off before we even know what will happen once inside the attraction, be optimistic peeps, look forward to yet another new addition to a great park.

I think the Armageddon attraction is ok (great first time round) but with the effects it must cost DLRP a fortune to run every day. I can totally see why the management would want to replace it, especially if it isn't getting a great response from the public.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Yesitsme

Quote from: "peep"Everyone is saying the film did bad at the box office. Why? The first film excelled all expectations at the box office completely stomping on everything else out at the time. I for one thought it was an excellent film and I know I am not the only one. The second film has only been released in America at the mo where it didn't set the box office alight but thats due to Disney being bloody fools and releasing it on the same day as (I think) Iron Man (can't remember, one of the mass hits so far anyways). Although saying that it has also stayed in the top 5 at the box office longer than its competition, it has staying power and will make its budget back (or already has) just in America. It seems Disney are pushing the film more in Europe with big premieres (UK one Thursday, DLRP Friday) and a huge ad campaign, don't forget in 2010 we also have the third film to look forward too. Its a growing franchise that Disney won't let die down, good.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to jump in on the point you just raised.

'Prince Caspian' has currently made $131 million at the US box office. The film is listed as having a budget of $200 million and this past weekend it made just $3 million. This film has had very mixed reviews (but bordering more on the bad side) and it will struggle to make it to $200 million. Compare that to the previous film which made $290+ million on it's domestic run (take into account that there would also have been a $50+ million worldwide advertising budget) and you have what looks like a failure.

Releasing this film in the summer instead of at Christmas like the previous film was a mistake but maybe this film is just not that good? I have always loved the Lion the Witch and the wardrobe but I absolutely hated the film as it was just too childish. Disney had hoped that Narnia would be their Lord of the rings style franchise but I think they would be better off just buying the theme park rights to LOTR personally.

As much as Armageddon needs serious work I really wouldn't want it replaced with a walk through exhibit.

Anthony

Quote from: "Yesitsme"'Prince Caspian' has currently made $131 million at the US box office. The film is listed as having a budget of $200 million and this past weekend it made just $3 million. This film has had very mixed reviews (but bordering more on the bad side) and it will struggle to make it to $200 million. Compare that to the previous film which made $300+ million on it's domestic run (take into account that there would also have been a $50+ million worldwide advertising budget) and you have what looks like a failure.
A failure only against the first film, which was really quite a fluke and somehow managed to roll on and on at the box office thanks to the Christmas/Christian themes of the film, its December release date and lack of competition. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is also the most well-known of the books by a long, long way.

I agree, Prince Caspian hasn't really set the US box office on fire. But to be honest I never expected it to. The days when you measure the popularity and longevity of a film by its initial box office are over. Why do you think Pixar are making a Cars 2, and not continuing Nemo or the Incredibles? Not because of box office or reviews.  For Prince Caspian, releasing this big-budget film one week before Indy IV was one of the worst cases of complete commercial suicide I've ever seen. It opened big and then bombed, everyone was too busy talking about nuking a fridge.

It'll do much, much better around the world. And then on DVD, and so on... In the UK particularly they're doing a perfect campaign, it has little to no competition, opening right in time for the June holidays, the biggest premiere ever.

Just the words "Narnia" and "Walt Disney Studios" will get people through the turnstiles.

Yesitsme

Quote from: "Baloo"A failure only against the first film, which was really quite a fluke and somehow managed to roll on and on at the box office thanks to the Christmas/Christian themes of the film, its December release date and lack of competition. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is also the most well-known of the books by a long, long way.

Agreed. I'm guessing that it is also a failure against what Disney were projecting the film to make.

Quote from: "Baloo"I agree, Prince Caspian hasn't really set the US box office on fire. But to be honest I never expected it to. The days when you measure the popularity and longevity of a film by its initial box office are over. Why do you think Pixar are making a Cars 2, and not continuing Nemo or the Incredibles? Not because of box office or reviews.  For Prince Caspian, releasing this big-budget film one week before Indy IV was one of the worst cases of complete commercial suicide I've ever seen. It opened big and then bombed, everyone was too busy talking about nuking a fridge.

From what I have heard the only reason Pixar are making a Cars 2 is due to the incredible sales of film merchandise which they achieved from the first film. Completely agree with you about the commercial suicide of opening between Iron Man and Indiana.

Quote from: "Baloo"It'll do much, much better around the world. And then on DVD, and so on... In the UK particularly they're doing a perfect campaign, it has little to no competition, opening right in time for the June holidays, the biggest premiere ever.

Just the words "Narnia" and "Walt Disney Studios" will get people through the turnstiles.

I'm still not convinced it will come close to the $744 million the first film made. Of course when I talk about the failure of this film I simply mean against what the Studio would have been hoping for, even if it makes 'only' $500 million worldwide it is still a hell of a lot of money and the film will definitely make a profit. I don't see this franchise having the timeless appeal that it could have had though, and the 3rd film is going to have to be a lot better (it's a better book anyway)