Disney Studio 1 Billboard - Refurbishment complete!

Started by Kristof, August 07, 2005, 01:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-breeno-

Surely these are temporary?  They do look it and like you guys have said they seem to be put in a strange place, front lot doesn't need anything extra i think, focus more on the other areas of WDS.  Maybe they've been put there just as a test to see if they look well there, then will be moved to another part of the park?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Maarten

Quote from: "RnRCj"They aren't really needed and they look very temporary. Anyone know what they're for?

Well, not every piece of decoration or theming needs to have a reason fo being there. Some decorations can just be pretty without an actual function although it never should conflict with the theme of the place. However, I completely agree that the location they put it is quite strange. Besides, Frontlot doesn't really need these plants but on the other hand, they do no harm either. Maybe they should have put them near Place des Stars or to enhance the La Terrasse courtyard or Tower of Terror queue even more?

Either way, in my humble opinion they look great and seem to fit the warm California kind of feel very well. They dont look that temporary to me at all.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

My guess would be they put them there temporarily to prevent people walking there for some to us unknown reason. Maybe there is a broken tile on the floor that needs to be fixed and could have people tripping or something similar.

andrewuk

Quote from: "Timbo"The plants look like "Birds of Paradise" ,they prefer a warmer climate,and sure they would not survive a Paris winter with it's hard frosts !!! Guess they can only be temporary !!!

Yep, they're the bird of paradise, Strelitzia Reginae. I have a much smaller plant. They might survive down to -5C, maybe, if kept dry. However they flower in spring (and therefore won't flower unless under cover in Paris) and so won't see the gorgeous flowers on front lot. Nothing wrong with taking them back inside for the winter, though.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Riebi

Quote from: "Mobi"My guess would be they put them there temporarily to prevent people walking there for some to us unknown reason. Maybe there is a broken tile on the floor that needs to be fixed and could have people tripping or something similar.

could simply be for this terrific night thing. I rememberd they usually take their red carpets or else around the front lot. Maybe they just wanna make clear to keep people in the right direction.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Kristof

Nothing is fenced off and it's easy to navigate through and around the planters.  My guess is they want to make it feel greener or more enclosed.  Could be a test too, since a Front Lot placemaking is/was considered.

Maarten

Quote from: "Kristof"Could be a test too, since a Front Lot placemaking is/was considered.

Can you tell us more? Do you happen to know what kind of changes they were/are considering? I hope they will leave Frontlot as it is to be honest. Besides, there are other area's in the park which are more in need of a placemaking or additional changes (Place des Stars, Toon Studio etc.) Frontlot is the only area in the park they did right in 2002 in my opinion.

Whoknew?

i like front lot, too. but i don't like the fact that you have to go through studio 1 to get into the park, i like studio 1, but it feels as front lot and the rest of the park doesn't belong to each other, since you've crossed front lot you will never see it again until you leave wds. but i guess this will never be changed :(

Riebi

That´s true. Only a "bigger" placemaking concept would make this more possible. Something like a table service restaurant on a second floor or else would be nice but I think that´s more something for the imagineering section :mrgreen:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

lil-shawn

Quotei like front lot, too. but i don't like the fact that you have to go through studio 1 to get into the park, i like studio 1, but it feels as front lot and the rest of the park doesn't belong to each other, since you've crossed front lot you will never see it again until you leave wds. but i guess this will never be changed

I like studio 1 too, but i think they schould remove it to make the park more open, maybe we need an 1 billion $ makeover too like DCA, to rebuild and change the studios :P !! i think this is too offtopic  :)

Kuzco

Front Lot should stay as it is right now (but without that billboard).
It gives me a real California/Florida feeling which I really enjoy.
No touchy!

dagobert

In my opinion Front Lot looks really great. Hollywood Boulevard and Front Lot are the most beautiful places in the park. They should leave Front Lot like it is now.

Is the Studio 1 still covered?

andrewuk

Quote from: "Whoknew?"i like front lot, too. but i don't like the fact that you have to go through studio 1 to get into the park, i like studio 1, but it feels as front lot and the rest of the park doesn't belong to each other, since you've crossed front lot you will never see it again until you leave wds. but i guess this will never be changed :(

Its odd that they built the arcades in DLP so that you could avoid the busy mainstreet, but then completely forgot about this great idea when building WDS. :roll:
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Willow

I totally forgot to mention when I got back a few weeks ago that the plant pots had gone on Friday 24th October.

I thought that they were there to get everyone looking in the shops as nobody walked through the middle, however on the friday everyone was walking through the middle once the pots had gone.

andrewuk

Quote from: "Willow"I totally forgot to mention when I got back a few weeks ago that the plant pots had gone on Friday 24th October.

I thought that they were there to get everyone looking in the shops as nobody walked through the middle, however on the friday everyone was walking through the middle once the pots had gone.

Its too cold for them to be outside now, I've brought mine idoors for the winter too :wink:
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne