Pirates of the Caribbean 2017 refurbishment (EEP)

Started by msRavenswood, July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: claire2281 on July 01, 2017, 10:37:51 AM
I think all the new stuff sounds great. I agree the Barbossa scene sounds like the skeleton change scene which will be spectacular and obviously we're getting the fog screens too. Tbh both of these things are much more exciting than the Jack Sparrow addition!
Can't agree with that. I'm much more excited by Captain Jack being added to the ride.

Parsons

The refurbishment can only be a good thing. It's great to see upgrades and new features instead of the same old stuff every year. Really looking forward to this in November

PMF

Quote from: claire2281 on July 04, 2017, 08:13:33 AM
Quote from: PMF on July 03, 2017, 10:21:53 PM
Having Barbossa in the caves will mess up the morality tale Tony Baxter and Chris Tietz wanted to tell with the ride.

But he likely shows they're cursed by their actions. Also in the original film he dies in the treasure cave.
When was the last time someone remained dead in a POTC movie?

andischatz

I'll be in the park this weekend (July 15) and I'm totally bummed that POTC won't be open then, those changes all sound fantastic, I wish they'd be done with them a few days earlier... *sigh*

msRavenswood

And here's the first video of the ride, courtesy of dlrpfans.

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/1BVLZENmHvw"

Ok, ok, first things first. Wow, wow, wow! What can I say about the awesomeness the revamped ride is! From the old animatronics that are working once more, the swinging pirate, the duelists and all those old scoundrels of the sea! The auction scene is cool and I believe it was executed without completely destroying the old scene. The Jack Sparrow animatronics, a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!! There were so many people complaining, when the first pictures emerged, that they look nothing like Johnny Depp. Hello??? They do look like JD and they are so much better than the ones they have in the US and Tokyo parks. The Barbossa animatronic, well that was cool! Totally different from the Shanghai effect and yet so awesome!

I admit I was skeptic at first because I thought the addition of Jack Sparrow would ruin the ride, but I've changed my mind. I can't wait for September to come so that I experience the ride myself.

I truly hope they do something similar with Phantom Manor. If they revamp the old animatronics like the POTC ones and add new effects and last generation AAs, it is guaranteed that PM will be breathtaking!

andischatz

Just wanted to post the same video, but you beat me to it. Great stuff!

Now I really hope they'll "soft open" the refurbished ride this weekend and not keep it shut for 10 more days. It would be fantastic if we could experience the new ride in person on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

whatsupanders

Quote from: andischatz on July 13, 2017, 11:23:28 AM
Just wanted to post the same video, but you beat me to it. Great stuff!

Now I really hope they'll "soft open" the refurbished ride this weekend and not keep it shut for 10 more days. It would be fantastic if we could experience the new ride in person on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

There is a soft opening this weekend for annual pass members. (Infinity, Dream or Magic Plus only)

A&S&O

Glad the swinging pirate is back - thought he'd gone for good. Also, "Monsieur Clickey" (the crab!) seems very animated.

Are the cats back? Does the chain work on the side of the lift hill?

It's the little touches we like.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

msRavenswood

Quote from: A&S&O on July 13, 2017, 01:47:17 PM
Glad the swinging pirate is back - thought he'd gone for good. Also, "Monsieur Clickey" (the crab!) seems very animated.

Are the cats back? Does the chain work on the side of the lift hill?

It's the little touched we like.

You can hear the cats meowing, I hope they are there. I have read that the lift chain works again.  :D

PMF

The whole morality play angle has been ruined.

Parsons

Loving the refurbishment. Capt jack  singing is awesome

CentralPlazaPerson

Not a big fan of change to classic attractions but this was well needed. DLP should be commended for this.

msRavenswood

Quote from: PMF on July 13, 2017, 03:06:39 PM
The whole morality play angle has been ruined.

You do have a point here, but at least the biggest part of the ride has remained unchanged and has been enhanced.

A&S&O

Quote from: CentralPlazaPerson on July 13, 2017, 03:18:39 PM
Not a big fan of change to classic attractions but this was well needed. DLP should be commended for this.

"Change... needed" or refurbishment needed?

I'm all for refurbishment and change when it improves things. But some things they change offer no improvements and a good refurb would have been better.
Peter Pan was refurbed and looks terrific, Fantasia Gardens was changed, when all it needed was a refurb (it was much more interesting with the "stones" and without the gaudy lights).
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

PMF

Quote from: A&S&O on July 13, 2017, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: CentralPlazaPerson on July 13, 2017, 03:18:39 PM

"Change... needed" or refurbishment needed?
Disney apparently cannot do one without the other these days.